That Computer Games Mag. Article

First off, WOW Deanco! That is a great looking interface. It actually looks like a blend of his gunmetal mod with a hyped-up CM interface. Actually, it looks totally original, and I love it. This game is gonna ROCK!

I was wondering about a few things. In one of the screenshots, a Russian squad is selected (detailing squad/platoon/company formation!) and it lists something like 8 alive, 4 casualties. But then when you look over to the super-cool graphical "weapons loadout" I counted only 7 rifles. I think there were two SMG's, 4 rifles, and a LMG maybe. Not sure what kind of rifles they were -- but what I am wondering is: will this "weapons loadout" reflect what the unit is carrying after taking casualtis? It seemed to, but only adding up to '7' I couldn't be sure.

I also like the "Armour strength" graphic down in the interface. Does this green bar only reflect the relative strength of the body, or is their something for turret armour?

As to the states of health and training for soldiers, I think that is a GREAT addition. Now you can have unexperienced but fit troops (Slavs) or wisened, grizzled but weak veterans (Germans). WOW, I can't wait to play around with those!

The graphics look great, a little more refined than the stuff posted on the web, which I think I heard were the same pics as the "Computer Gaming World" mag.

Also, one more thing. In the other screenshot a T-34 is selected (Looks GREAT!) and it lists the ammo like it does in CMBO, but then elsewhere (by the "armour loadout" it lists what I think is ammo again. Is this ammo for the MG, or is it something else?

All in all, it was a very nice article, and both Steve and Robert Mayer deserve thanks for the work they did, Steve for making it possible, and Mayer for the positive words and encouragement.

Thanks everyone! When is the demo?

yeah BUT.....

When can we see all this stuff on the Web?

Is there a web page with these graphics?

I have seen the images and pics at CMHQ, but is that ALL there is on the web now?

Many of us would really like to see those screen shots of the new interface you are refering to. Are they available anywhere on the web?

Thanks

-tom w

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I was wondering about a few things. In one of the screenshots, a Russian squad is selected (detailing squad/platoon/company formation!) and it lists something like 8 alive, 4 casualties. But then when you look over to the super-cool graphical "weapons loadout" I counted only 7 rifles. I think there were two SMG's, 4 rifles, and a LMG maybe. Not sure what kind of rifles they were -- but what I am wondering is: will this "weapons loadout" reflect what the unit is carrying after taking casualtis? It seemed to, but only adding up to '7' I couldn't be sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this an early-war Russian unit? I seem to remember BTS rumblings about modelling the "unarmed hordes" by giving Russian squads more men than weapons, in the expectation that unarmed men will pick up weapons from their fallen comrades...

Yeah, sorry, but I actually had a "double entendre" of wanting to give you guys without the means a chance to at least "know" what was in the picures. I forked out $7.99 to see those damn pictures. Well, that's a little harsh -- they had a good "tweaking windows" guide that might help me to improve the performance of my computer.

As far as I know, these pics are available only in the mag. I guess that'll change in a few weeks though.

There's only two screenshots in the CM2 preview article but quite a bit has changed and improved in the interface. There's more graphical information showing a unit's weapon mix/ammo and the terrain occupied. The graphic showing the terrain occupied seems redundant IMO as it is still written there, ie Tall Pines, Open ground, but this is still early yet. Additionally for armor there's a silhouette with color-coded bars signifying the AFV's strength's and weaknesses, not sure how relevant that is as it would depend on the threat it was facing at the moment. Units also have their organization marked, ie sqd/plt/co, which I'm sure will be welcomed by most gamers.

In the article itself the physical fitness factor coupled with CMBO's current training looks very interesting and more of a radical change(optional) will be vehicle morale. The T-34 crew in the screenshot is listed as 'Cautious'. Will have to see how that works in practice but looks very promising.

Other significant changes are C&C and radio rules for AFVs and field telephones for FO's. An excellent article to whet the appetite for CM2. smile.gif

Ron

Ugghh....stop....teasing....me! Can't....take...much....more....

I'm gonna try to pick up the CGW at my friendly local convienent store soon. Guys who already have it, how many pages is it and how many CM2 screenshots are there?

Also, don't forget both of the magazines put their print articles, with screenshots, on their web sites usually about 2 weeks after the magazine hits the newstands.

So whether or not Battlefront posts those pictures, they will be on the web in about a week or less.

The Computer Gaming World preview doesn't have many pics, but it does have a nice one of a T-34 that looks very complete with skins and all. The terrain also looks like BTS went to the darkside, but it could just be the photo.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]