No breaks in CM?

Where did the drivers in CM learn to drive? Did the DMV just flag them through? My drivers are allways crashing into one another becasue it seems none of the vehicles have breaks. I've had a couple attacks go bad becasue vehilces get caught up on one another. So why does the AI not know how to break and slow down as to not crash into another vehicle?

Originally posted by ntg84:

Where did the drivers in CM learn to drive? Did the DMV just flag them through? My drivers are allways crashing into one another becasue it seems none of the vehicles have breaks. I've had a couple attacks go bad becasue vehilces get caught up on one another. So why does the AI not know how to break and slow down as to not crash into another vehicle?

Just like a convoy, if you move your vehides in column down a road you need to build in a delay to allow spacing, or else they will "accordian" on turns or if one gets ambushed.

Ah now this does remind me of my own army experience so long ago. There I was one day minding my own business, (drinking some wine, eating some cheese and catching some rays), when the Top reminds me to get my butt over to the motor pool for my truck license in order to drive the pickup truck full of classified burn bags to the burn facility. (Don't know what they do now-a-days, but back then you had a separate military license). Anyway, I go down there, and there was a form or something to fill out, and then sit and wait (ofcourse), and then some guy at a desk says come over here and sit down, so I'm sitting by his desk and he says; "Raise your right hand", I figure great, an oath for cripes sake. Then, he says; "raise your left hand." Upon guessing the second answer in a row correctly, he says; "you passed, sign here". Whereupon, the army issued me a license to drive a 2 1/2 ton truck, my never having been behind the wheel of anything larger than a Dodge Valiant. You hadda love the army. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-24-2001).]

Originally posted by Crank_GS:

(and they probably got their licenses in Illinois...)

Hey I resent that! mad.gif At least they have HS-based Drivers' Education in Illinois. They don't in Missouri though. I don't think Indiana has it either.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"--Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

"Buttkicking for goodness!"--Minsc, BGII

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot.

Bruno - I have a similar story to yours that played out pretty much the same way. My problem was, i had never driven a stickshift in my life, hell i didn't even have a car. Anyway, in the true army spirit, the guy passed me anyway w/o giving me a road test. So 2 hours later, i was driving a 2 1/2 ton, manual shift vehicle, full of troops, down some useless road under blackout conditions. I was stalling, grinding, all sorts of bad stuff. I managed to make it to my destination, but the guys in the back rode me(bad pun) for months over that. What a night, a true trial by fire.

Originally posted by Maximus:

Hey I resent that! mad.gif At least they have HS-based Drivers' Education in Illinois. They don't in Missouri though. I don't think Indiana has it either.

Excuuse me! I'll have you know that in IN we do have HS Drivers Ed, even to this day. I spent a couple hundred bucks on my son to take it, so I could save 10's of dollars on insurance. Geesh, ya act like us Hoosiers are backward or something. :rolleyes

Originally posted by Vomitmeister:

Hoosiers may be able to drive, but you government can't make up its mind on what to call you. Is it:

Hoosier State

Wander

Back Home Again

Hoosier Hospitality

Amber Waves of Grain

(or the current)

The Crossroads of America

Actually, it's 'Indiana, Gateway to Ohio'.

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues

Ok first, if I had 3 Kubels or Jeeps about 4-6 feet apart (which is ideal traffic spacing, half of one car length) and told them to drive fast, straight ahead, one would crash into another for some reason. I know for a fact that you could break in those vehicles much faster than a HT. So why does the AI fail to break? Is it programmed to break when it gets to close?

Secondly, dont be messing with Indiana. I'm a proud Hoosier from the armpit of the state, Hammond. So watch what you say about God's state.