OH! Those bothersome, inane questions!!

You guys crack me up. Let someone foolishly post a question that was answered (sometimes poorly) in a thread 14 months ago, and some of you will spend your precious time telling the dumb jerk to quit wasting your precious time! - Usually expressed as "Do a search, it is there a million times!" along with some other insulting remark.

Then I look at the threads that are current and see the Peng thread - or one of it's many offspring, or a Hamster thread or whatever. I think humor is great, but why put off new people who may have a simple question? These are people, by the way, who are spending their money on CM, and will help the BTS guys keep more stuff coming!

I play a lot of European Air War. Any of you who know that sim probably know that it may be nearing the end of it's life. For that reason, many of us - me especially - endeavor to bring new people in as easily as possible, and keep them there. I answer a lot of experience based questions all the time. I fly online against complete rookies, and let them shoot me down, too, because I want them to not get discouraged too easily. I see it as my part of making the whole as good as I can. I am no techie, so tactics and info are things I am better at offering than tech advice.

You guys may want to remember that. CM is great now, but more sims will follow. CM2 will be great, I am sure, but there is always someone waiting to make a better product.

If these questions are SUCH a nuisance, put them in a FAQ!!! My question about screenshots was not such a tough one, but all of the answers I found DOING MY SEARCH failed to mention how the image was saved. Yes, to clipboard, but what file name? I told you I was no techie! Put that stupid stuff in a FAQ, and you can get back to all that important stuff, like Peng and Hamsters...

Well said Crank_GS.

Has all of this competition on these ladders numbed us? Do we only want to reach out and crush someone so much that it spills onto how we interact here in subtle ways?

Soon the newbies here will far outnumber the oldbies! smile.gif Like an old soldier, will they just fade away? It would be a terrible loss if the oldbies did. They have a lot to share and pass on.

The way that I see it, even when we are trying REAL hard to defeat our opponent, we must still have a high level of basic respect for them. We wargamers are a dying breed afterall. We have to stick together.

Jumbo

Print Screens are not saved as files, until you paste them somewhere. They are temporarily saved on the Windows clipboard. If you are using Win 98, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Clipboard Viewer, and it will show you whatever is currently saved on your clipboard (whether text or picture).

You need to paste screen shots somewhere (like Paint) with CTRL-V or one of the other Paste commands, and they will initially be pasted as .bmp or bitmap files. Then you can resize or, with most other graphics apps, convert them to smaller file formats, like JPEG (or .jpg).

The clipboard in Win98 can only hold one object at a time. It is a temporary storage area. If you take a Print Screen, then take another one before pasting the first one somewhere, the first one will be lost (that is, it will be replaced by the second one, and so forth).

The "other" right place to Search for this answer would be the Windows Help text, btw, you cranky b*****d. biggrin.gif

rofl, MarkIV! That's what my Squadron mates call me too!

Roger on the clipboard. I had figured it out by the time I wrote my little rant. The fact that it is not saved as a file is what threw me. I cntrl-V it to Paint, then turn it to a .jpg in Irfanview. Works like a charm! smile.gif

Crank,

While I see the merit of your post, I must also add mention about the opposite side. Let me just clear the record by saying that I don't mind answering anyone's questions when I can.

However, look at this point. Again, while I see where your coming from, think of the debates about Capital Punishment and Abortion. Pretty much everything that has been said on those topics have been rehashed a million times over. The same arguments come about, with the same examples and so forth. People are staunchly divided into a certain camp, and regardless of the point made by another person, they will remain in that camp for whatever reason and are extremely passionate about their stance. It makes no difference for this example why they are staunchly in one place or the other. It is their right and opinion.

There are similar instances on this board. For example, the topic of unit menu's. A very hotly debated topic. While most here, from what I've seen don't have too many problems answering anyone's question, there are just certain topics that will NEVER have a resolution to the way people feel. It's these types of questions that are brought up that typically the "Do a search" comments are made on, from what I've seen at least. The simple reason being that if the conversation starts again, the passions of people will again be released. These will be the same passions that were discussed several times in the past. This will yield the same results as in the past, a locked post or an argument occurring over something that has already been argued over. Especially in the cases where BTS has made a comment about their official stance on a matter. They had to, so the argument's would end. It's similar to a judge making a ruling, and that's the final word.

I'm not at all trying to start a fight here, I'm just trying to point out that from what I've seen, in most cases, those comments of "Do a Search" are typically in those circumstances. I'm sure their may be times when that comment is used when just as easily a person could have answered as quickly, but from what I've seen, not all that much.

Just trying to clarify for you why you may see those on occasion.

GI Tom

speaking of rehashing topics........

did a search on KEYWORD=search

came up w/200 topics

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Put that stupid stuff in a FAQ, and you can get back to all that important stuff, like Peng and Hamsters...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kind o like a faq--<a href=http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=combatmission&list>CMBO webring</a>

and for pretty much all things CMBO

<a href=http://combathq.thegamers.net/>matts site</a>

------------------

The best laid plans of hamsters and men....

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 01-04-2001).]

Well I look at it like this... I had great fun debating issues like...

the power of the m2

gamey recon

mg effectiveness

cherry picking/ mixing unit types

If some1 new brings up 1 of these topics agian why should any of us deny them the fun of debating the different points with their newbie friends? Hell I enjoy stepping in once and a while and putting my point across... agian smile.gif

Mulling through 3 month old posts with the search function is boring even if it can lead you to informed opinions and correct answers. Sometimes its good to get fresh ideas on old problems/issues... who knows, maybe 1 of these "newbies" could come up with an excellent idea to help in terms of game realism etc.

If you dont like it, dont click on the post, its pretty bloodly easy to ignore repeatative posts if your sick of the issue they discuss.

Guest Andrew Hedges

I think it really depends on the questions. Simple questions, I think, should be answered, even if they've been covered 100 times before. More complex questions, like "Does CM reflect the late war armor fabrication difficulties in Germany," or "Weren't German optics superior" should probably be answered with directions to do a search.

Jumbo and Crank:

Did you consider that by the time the newbies outnumber the oldbies, you'll be the oldbies telling the newbies to do a friggin' search?

Please accept this in the humor with which it is intentioned.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I think it really depends on the questions. More complex questions, like "Does CM reflect the late war armor fabrication difficulties in Germany," or "Weren't German optics superior" should probably be answered with directions to do a search.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, bro. Those damned threads are more impenetrable than Tiger frontal armor!

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

Guest Madmatt

This subject comes up all the time and there is no right or wrong answer. Someone that responds with "Do A Search", to me, is just saying that, the subject has a history of being asked and answered and a search will show you threads in question.

I also don't think anyone should get overly bent outa shape when some one DOES suggest a search. Do a little homework first, that's all we ask and we then will be more than happy to assist you. I for one pretty much never tell people to search even though the questions I answer are repeated time and time again. There is nothing wrong with that. That's just part of my job.

Maybe the problem is in the *way* searches are suggested. I have seen where the very act of posting a message telling someone to Search for some tidbit of info seemed to be a strain on them. That needs to stop.

Both camps, the Seachanauts and the YeahSearchThisPal, need to learn to get along.

Now, since topics like this seem to spring eternal I will lock it up. I am sure another will take its place shortly though.

Madmatt