600mm gun

Just read an article about one of the 600mm (~31 in.) guns the Germans were using around Sevastapol (sp?). It seems Hitler wanted to use one as an antitank gun later in the war...LOL! Gen. Guderian is said to have made an exaspirated gesture and walked off when Hitler mentioned this to him. Any chance of firing this baby in CM2?...heh, didnt think so smile.gif

Maybe as off map arty. An AT gun... hehe.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

A while back I watched a documentary on the history channel about big guns. They featured Dora, Karl Gustav, Anzio Annie and the Paris gun among others. Turns out the biggest gun (calibur wise)to see action was Little David, used by U.S. forces on Okinawa. I don't remember the calibur, nor can I find any links about it. Does anyone have info on it?

Little David was a 914mm gun that was originally a testing device for aerial bombs; they would be fired from the gun with a sabot so that it was not necessary to fly them around. It was sent to the Siegfried Line but not used there. It filled a marginal role at Okinawa. Little David would have been heavily used in an invasion of Japan but obviously things never came to that.

Question: A 16" battleship gun projectile weighs 1900 pounds and is equivalent to (SWAG) 450mm or so. Little David is therefore double its caliber. How would the weight of its shells compare?

In the time it took to reload one of these guns, you would get one round every thirty minutes or so. If it were modeled in CM you would only get a few shots, hardly worth bothering about.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Check6:

A 16" battleship gun projectile weighs 1900 pounds and is equivalent to (SWAG) 450mm or so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually 406.4mm. Am I the only one around here not too shy to use a calculator?

wink.gif

Michael

If you're talking about 60cm guns used against Sevastopol, you're probably thinking of the Karlgerät (Gerät 041 and 041), a tracked 60cm/54cm mortar. You can find pictures at Nahverteidigungswaffe and Chamberlain and Doyle's Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two.

------------------

War does not determine who is right--only who is left.

--Bertrand Russell

Or, you may be thinking of the 80cm Gustav railway gun, also used against Sevastopol. Dora was its twin, though according to Ian Hogg's The Guns: 1939-45, where it was employed after proving grounds tests isn't known. Interestingly, the attachment of men used to fire, maintain, and protect one of these totalled 1420!

------------------

War does not determine who is right--only who is left.

--Bertrand Russell

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 01-14-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Check6:

Question: A 16" battleship gun projectile weighs 1900 pounds and is equivalent to (SWAG) 450mm or so. Little David is therefore double its caliber. How would the weight of its shells compare?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My handy-dandy coffee table reference shows the weight at 3,700 lb of which 1,600 lb was explosive.

------------------

My P-47 is a pretty good ship

And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip

I was thinking 'bout my baby and letting her rip

Always got me through so far...

I have an extensive documentation regarding the 80 cm (E) "Dora", including copies of many original documents, production facts, technical specifications, test shootings etc, etc incl. the perceived results when used vs. the Sevastopol fortresses. If you want to know something specific, just ask! biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Croda: "You hang out with a guy named "Warphead?"

"Nuts!" "

visit lindan.panzershark.com

www.jagdtiger.de

Gremlin and Wolf:

how good is your German?

My docs are photocopied pages from an 1979 issue of the German magazine "Waffen-Revue". The editors had access to a lot of original documents.(some of them reprinted including the "Streng Geheim" (top secret) labels on them smile.gif ) I will try to scan some of the more interesting pages and put them up as soon as my time permits. If you want some parts of it translated than I'd be grateful if you give me some specific questions as this is A LOT of material and I have no time to translate it all.

------------------

-----------------------

Croda: "You hang out with a guy named "Warphead?"

"Nuts!" "

visit lindan.panzershark.com

www.jagdtiger.de

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gremlin:

If you're talking about 60cm guns used against Sevastopol, you're probably thinking of the Karlgerät (Gerät 041 and 041), a tracked 60cm/54cm mortar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, these are the ones'. There were only six ever built, of which four were used at Sevastopol in 1941. The names of the six mortars were Thor, Adam, Eve, Odin, Loki and Ziu. They had a rate of fire of 1 round every 10 minutes.

OGSF

Lindan, my German is pretty good, so I could read them in the original and probably translate parts of them for others if anyone is interested. I just did that with a German field manual, though most of my German knowledge comes from literature, not technical documents smile.gif

------------------

Don't talk to me about atrocities in war; all war is an atrocity.

--Lord Kitchener