Question to Canadians (and others)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Xavier I've played all of your scenarios. They are some the best ones I've played that have to do with the Canadians. You've got a good touch. You need to release them in a large pack in english so our international community can understand the briefings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much, I spent a lot of time in the making of them and I always try to go on the real place to have a "good feeling ;)" before doing the map. I would like to be able to translate them in english but my english isn't always good enough ;).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada has just unveil a new National War Memorial today. I think it's in Ottawa. I only caught a snipette of it on the news.

A moment of silent, please, for the men and women who gave everything in the name of Peace and Liberty.

I think Americans are some of the nicest people I've met.

They seem pretty chill.

Thats cuz they never fought the 12SS Hitlerjugend<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

????

Look up the battles at Rocherath-Krinkelt and Butgenbach (among others) during the Battle of the Bulge.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlow:

????

Look up the battles at Rocherath-Krinkelt and Butgenbach (among others) during the Battle of the Bulge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were Americans in the Second world war? :D

As the scenario designer of "Worthington Force" I'm glad to see that The_Capt and Xavier enjoyed it. By the way the map was made by scaling it up from a 1:100,000 map with fairly good elevation data and road placement. I used graph paper and scaled to the CMBO 20m x 20m squares.

Trying to figure out where the Canadians really were during the battle was tough though as I had conflicting accounts from various sources.

Having the Canadian troops in the game was a big selling feature for me so keep up the good work BTS.

Do you have any photos of the countryside?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is some:

champdeble2.jpg

This is a view from St contest (a small village near Buron). It's a few kilometer in North West of Caen. As you can see it's pretty flat. Even if it is in Normandy, it's not very bocageous ;)

ardenne.jpg

And this is the "Abbaye d'Ardenne" (south of Buron) which was the QG of Panzer-Meyer during the battle. In this place many wounded canadian prisonners had been wildly murdered by the SS. After reading the story of these poor guys, I can tell you that you will never use "Panzer-Meyer" for a pseudo or a nick-name :(...

Sorry, the 2 pictures aren't very good. I'm going to Normandy this week-end to see the village of Lingèvres (my next CM scenario) where the brit kicked the ass of the PzLehr (14th June 44). If some of you are interested, I will post some pictures smile.gif

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Since I did not see anyone recommending it:

'The South Albertas' http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1896941060/qid%3D993809967/103-2948915-6509437 is the best unit history of WW II I have ever seen. Expensive, but well worth it. It has about ten pages about the fight at St. Lambert (August 18th -22nd), and another good bit about the battle for the Hochwald Gap, described as the equivalent of 'The charge of the light brigade'. I highly recommend it.

Also, 'The guns of war' by George Blackburn, the longest-serving FOO in the north-west European theatre (with 2nd Canadian Infantry Division). If you want to know how Commonwealth arty worked, this is your book.

Any other recommendations, I would be most interested in.

Regarding Normandy and Bocage - the Bocage area was more to the centre and west of Normandy. The area around Calais was much more open, with woods and huge wheat-fields. Anyone having a look at a map of the area around Maltot can see that.

They say you can see Juno beach from the tower of the Abbeye. Is this true?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you can see Juno Beach. May be you can see the sea (In good weather condition, with no smoke and no dust) but the tower of the abbey is not so high and the sea is something like 20/25 kilometers away.

Xavier, I've read so many book about the normandy campaign and I've seen Canadian war amp movies (documentary) filmed on loacation in normandy which show certain places where battles took place but they never show much of these towns, like Buron or Putot or areas like the Caen-Bayeux highway. Do you have any photos of these places. I've got pictures in my head but you know the real deal.

Cheers

Hoopenfaust

Hoopenfaust 101,

I haven 't a lot of interesting pictures now but you give me an idea: Each time I'll go in Normandy, I'll take some pictures of a particular battle place and I will post them with a little comment smile.gif

Most of the villages in wich a battle occured had been ofen rebuild after the war. So they don't always look very interesting except for the church or a few building :(.

But, the very interesting stuff, even if it's not easy, is to meet the people who were the whitnesses of this time.