New heavy gun test - Please identify (100K)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

L: 25 pdr

C: 5.5"

R: ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the one on the right is definitely German and I would guess 128mm, but I can't give the model number off the top of my head and my books are still packed away.

The center one might be a 4.5" or 5.5".

I agree that the one on the left is a 25 pdr, lightweight airborne version.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>please identify<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't you just read the plaques? ;)

The one on the right is the 152mm ML-20 gun-howitzer. The muzzle brake gives it away. Middle gun is probably 152mm too (M-10 I guess).

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

The center one might be a 4.5" or 5.5".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, they are kinda hard to tell apart.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>... is a 25 pdr, lightweight airborne version.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? I didn't know there was a leightweight A/B version. The Aussies made a short barreled version for use in the Pacific, which also did away with the sheild, and had a much simplified carriage. Overall it ended up much lighter.

But AFAIK the Brit A/B forces used the US 75mm howitzer.

The muzzle brake is just to limit recoil IIRC.

Jon

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

??? I didn't know there was a leightweight A/B version. The Aussies made a short barreled version for use in the Pacific, which also did away with the sheild, and had a much simplified carriage. Overall it ended up much lighter.

But AFAIK the Brit A/B forces used the US 75mm howitzer.

The muzzle brake is just to limit recoil IIRC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All true so far as I can recall, but I'd swear that I have read that the air-transportable 25 pdr. was developed even though it might not have seen action. Since, as I say, I don't have my references available at the moment, I could be misremembering the details, but that's how I remember it.

Michael

My guesstimates;

Left: 25-pounder mark 2 British

(standard model i believe, nothing airborne about it except the colour :)

Middle: 5.5 inch Mark 3 ? British

(Appears to be the 5.5 inch instead of the 4.5)

Right: Model 1937 (ML-20) Gun-Howitzer Russian

(indeed the muzzlebreak gives it away)

Greetings, stefan.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bakker@home:

Middle: 5.5 inch Mark 3 ? British

(Appears to be the 5.5 inch instead of the 4.5)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, you're right. British 5.5in. Hogg's 20th Century Arty to the rescue. smile.gif

- Chris

All true so far as I can recall, but I'd swear that I have read that the air-transportable 25 pdr. was developed even though it might not have seen action. Since, as I say, I don't have my references available at the moment, I could be misremembering the details, but that's how I remember it.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you're misremembering. AFAIK the Aussie lightweight was the Airborne version. As mentioned it was short barrelled with the gun shield removed and 800 pounds lighter. It could be broken up into eight manageable pieces and dropped by parachute. I believe some were airdropped to Australian forces in Papua New Guinea.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IPA:

I don't think you're misremembering. AFAIK the Aussie lightweight was the Airborne version. As mentioned it was short barrelled with the gun shield removed and 800 pounds lighter. It could be broken up into eight manageable pieces and dropped by parachute. I believe some were airdropped to Australian forces in Papua New Guinea.

Peter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. Then we have to find a convincing explanation for why this one has a splinter shield, unless Bakker@home is right about it being a standard model--but I don't remember it having a muzzle brake.

Michael

Actually, they are all Gerbilwerfers. Related to the hamsterwerfers so closely that no one really knows the difference.

The big one is actually designed for airborne operations by cats. It can fire a cat 24 km behind enemy lines, but was never deployed because no one could figure out what the cat would do when it got there.

Well, the gun on the left is almost certainly a 25 pounder. I should know; I trained on one for ceremonial duties and definitely remember the 25 pounder races we had... six men manhandle 1 25 pounder up a (paved) hill!

The key thing for me is that you can see the circular firing platform under the gun and just barely see the spikes that were used for embedding. Plus I remember peering through the slit in the gunshield to try and figure out what the sights must have looked like (since we were only doing saluting, we didn't need any sights and fired only blanks.)

Okay. Then we have to find a convincing explanation for why this one has a splinter shield, unless Bakker@home is right about it being a standard model--but I don't remember it having a muzzle brake.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The short barreled version didn't have a muzzle brake. It did have a very short barrel, and a sort of flash suppressor (if you've seen a jungle carbine version of the Lee Enfield you'll know what I mean). Because the barrel was so short there wasn't enough time for the propellant to burn completely before the end of the barrel, leading to excessive muzzle flash. Tactically not a great idea, and not a great feature from a use-friendliness POV either. The suppressor made life a little easier on the crew.

The muzzle brake was a standard feature on the regular field guns (as opposed to the jungle guns) from a certain date (which escapes me).

As for them being Sov arty ... well ... maybe they were captured in Korea and handed over to the Russians who gave it to the Poles? Those are definately some British pieces. Alternatively, the Polish forces fighting with the Brits (ie, the Polish Armd Div in Normandy, and the Polish Inf Divs in Italy. Although, of course, the Armd Div would have been equipped with Priests/Sextons) would have used these guns. Maybe they took them as souvineirs when they were 'repatriated' at the end of the war?

Regards

Jon

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

The left one os a common or garden variety 25 pdr - the muzzle brakes were fitted to some - I've got pics of exactly the mae weapon being used by C/wealth and US forces.

The middle one is a 5.5" - the 4/5" has a much longer barrel.

The allies shipped 2400 field guns to hte Ruassians as lend-lease - these would be part of that - definitely not produced in Russia unless they were reverse engineered - and there's no real reason for the Russians to have to do that - they had good enough designs oftheir own.