How can a Stuart KO a pillbox?

To kill a pillbox don't you need to either kill or scare off the crew, damage the gun or set off ammunition? So how does a dinky little 37mm shell knockout a pillbox? I've frequently seen an entire crew escape with no casualties. Shouldn't it just say gun damaged? Because if its knocked out you can't ever use it. If it would just say gun damaged instead of knocked out you maybe could throw in another MG team because the protective structure is still intact. Or perhaps they could explode or burn to represent ammo going off.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

So how does a dinky little 37mm shell knockout a pillbox.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 37mm is small enough to go through the slit in the pillbox.

While complaining to my opponent about the ineffectiveness of the 37mm gun on the H-39, I was reminded by him that the M-79 grenade is a 37mm shell. Think of one of those coming through the firing slit and banging around in a closed room.

You've also got to consider that the 2 or 3 MGs on that tin (the Stewart) can make life miserable for the pillbox crew.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

While complaining to my opponent about the ineffectiveness of the 37mm gun on the H-39, I was reminded by him that the M-79 grenade is a 37mm shell. Think of one of those coming through the firing slit and banging around in a closed room.

You've also got to consider that the 2 or 3 MGs on that tin (the Stewart) can make life miserable for the pillbox crew.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But from 1000 meters it's impossible to put a shell through a firing slit with 2x sights. And HE shells do not bang around. They explode. But how can it kill a pillbox if the gun isn't damaged and none of the crew are hurt?

It's not impossible at 1000 meters to put a shell through the firing slit, just unlikely.

But the more times you fire the more likely it becomes. I just recently had a Stuart on a hill with a clear shot at a mg pillbox, range about 800meters. It fired for most of 3 turns but finally knocked out the pillbox. As to why there is no explosion or whatever I just accepted the fact that it was knocked out and went from there.

But from 1000 meters it's impossible to put a shell through a firing slit with 2x sights. And HE shells do not bang around. They explode. But how can it kill a pillbox if the gun isn't damaged and none of the crew are hurt?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The force is strong with this one...

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick614:

Michael

Good point. Jimmie was often seen standing off several hundred meters from pillboxes lobbing 37mm shell at them.

(joke)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was he able to keep up a good ROF?

Actually, Greyhounds are great anti-pillbox weapons. 37mm gyrostabilized cannons on a very fast platform. A platform fast enough that those pillboxes have trouble tracking them at full speed inside of 500m.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Is this like a Zen koan?

:D

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell is that? Anyways I meant how can there be a seperate distinction between knocked out and gun damaged? Doesn't knocked out just mean the gun is useless?

I had a Sherman kill a pillbox the otehr day - got a "slit penetration", no other damage, and het crew bailed out without any casualties.

Perhaps they just figured their time was up and it's best to get out before it's made more blatant??

On a related note IIRC the Journal of Strategic Studies has an article in it in the 80's soem tiem which was a survey of damage done to tanks in Normandy by airpower. It concluded that the most dangerous thing for tanks was loss of morale, as many were abandoned in running order and with full tanks of gas! (IIRC)

But from 1000 meters it's impossible to put a shell through a firing slit with 2x sights. And HE shells do not bang around. They explode. But how can it kill a pillbox if the gun isn't damaged and none of the crew are hurt?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a huge discussion on this last year.

The slit of a pillbox is about as high as a tank turret, but wider.

If the crew bails out with no casualties I think it can be assumed the gun was damaged even if it doesn't say "gun damaged".

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenGriffon:

If you were part of the crew of a pillbox, and a shell came flying through the slit and exploded next to you, regardless of whether or not you were hurt, can you say for sure that YOU would hang around?

I call that the "screw this" factor in CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't it be listed as abandoned then? Not destroyed. That way you could be able to reman it in operations.