Peng threads and searching

*Lurk Unit Disabled*

Ok, this is the part where someone off screen yells "CESSPOOL COMBAT!!!" and some cheezy music begins playing.

So everyone start going nuts and doing uppercuts and stuff. Oh yeah... I almost forgot "Finish him!"

*Lurk Unit Engaged*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:

Well,

I agree. All those rediculous Peng or Hamster threats do not add anything to the game, and should better be redirected to the general forum.

Fred<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will have to agree with Fred on this one.

tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wildman:

Ah Paladin, you miss the point.

If you delete the subjects out of the archive, what exactly are you searching? The threads have been deleted.

Really first its the intellectuals they try and suppress.....Via la Cess, Via la Cess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'm missing your point. If there are ten threads with ten posts with ten words apiece, there are 1000 words that must be searched against a keyword. If you delete two threads, you now have 800 words that must be searched against a keyword. Therefore, you have to search less, and it will take less time. Understand?

I don't really care about the Peng thread, I don't read it, but it doesn't bother me. I'm merely making the point that that many posts can effect search times and performance.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Peng's don't kill people, people kill people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nonsense, Peng just killed a bunch of my people. He should be banned. Everyone whose name begins with a "P" should be banned.

If we eliminate all the people in California and New York, the census will cost less, be more accurate, and will go much more quickly. While this is not as reasonable as a war with Australia, as discussed in the More Important areas of the BBS, it has merit and will certainly benefit the majority.

Though closing the Peng thread would yield the desirable benefit of the perpetrator being killed a lot, I think more of its evil spirits than meeksters has reckoned on would lurk on, and commit random acts of swinish humor to destabilize the BBS. Picture gag bombs going off in the middle of busy muzzle velocity threads, or the hijacking of armor weak point data posts, and you have an ugly little situation.

The provisional wing of the Peng Thread is barely controllable now. They are everywhere, they are invisible, and they will never surrender. Containment is the only victory you can hope for. The choice is yours.

The whole lot of them are evil, sick, twisted vermin. All the more reason to leave it as is. If you pick at that, it'll only get worse, like any oozing sore. Besides, then we know where to go for the entertaing reading!

To answer the original question, it all depends on what type of database is being used. SQL for example may have a database at 200 megs with only 2 megs in use. The whole 200 megs will be searched through.Hence there would be no point to delete the old peng threads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R_Leet:

The whole lot of them are evil, sick, twisted vermin. All the more reason to leave it as is. If you pick at that, it'll only get worse, like any oozing sore. Besides, then we know where to go for the entertaing reading!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah? But what is your point?

Speedbump

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMHPaladin:

[QB]I think I'm missing your point. If there are ten threads with ten posts with ten words apiece, there are 1000 words that must be searched against a keyword. If you delete two threads, you now have 800 words that must be searched against a keyword. Therefore, you have to search less, and it will take less time. Understand?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really do understand what your saying, if there are fewer words and threads archieved then the search will not take as long. However, if the information you want is in the 200 words that were deleted, then your search doesn't do any good. That is the point.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMHPaladin:

I think I'm missing your point. If there are ten threads with ten posts with ten words apiece, there are 1000 words that must be searched against a keyword. If you delete two threads, you now have 800 words that must be searched against a keyword. Therefore, you have to search less, and it will take less time. Understand?

I don't really care about the Peng thread, I don't read it, but it doesn't bother me. I'm merely making the point that that many posts can effect search times and performance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

getting rid of the peng threads would reduce the time of search by about .001% probably...not that much to be concerned about