spotting question ?

in a pbem i've just started my opponent drove a truck at high speed along a central road, thru my defenses.

my dug-in defenders were all hiding but i had failed to give ambush orders - (doh :rolleyes: ), so they systematically popped up and targeted the speeding truck, however only one unit actually fired, so, will my opponent have spotted my now unhidden yet unfiring troops? there aren't any other enemy units in los (i hope!), and my troops all have cover of some sort.

sorry if this has been discussed at length, but search is broke.

ben

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chuckle:

in a pbem i've just started my opponent drove a truck at high speed along a central road, thru my defenses.

my dug-in defenders were all hiding but i had failed to give ambush orders - (doh :rolleyes: ), so they systematically popped up and targeted the speeding truck, however only one unit actually fired, so, will my opponent have spotted my now unhidden yet unfiring troops? there aren't any other enemy units in los (i hope!), and my troops all have cover of some sort.

sorry if this has been discussed at length, but search is broke.

ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

using a truck like this has been defined as VERY gamey (not that, that is a bad thing.. its just gamey)

that said, and gamey/no-gamey issues aside...

I believe the game was changed before V1.12 to make the spotting ability of any fast moving vehicle next to none. I guess its actually only gamey if it exploits a loophole in the game code. I suspect this recon Truck suicide joy ride will not exploit any loopholes as the truck should die quick and not see much because it is going FAST.

Move your guys and hide them just to be safe

and blow up that nosey, bloody truck ASAP!

You should be ok I suspect the intel he gets will not be that usefull to him (or her, are Cm chicks that Gamey? somehow I doubt it)

smile.gif

-tom w

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

well, i guess it is gamey, but i didn't stipulate no rules so i have no quarrel.

i was hoping the 1.12 rules would have made his move redundant, wasen't sure if they only applied to jeeps though.

and in fairness it is a bloody nasty looking map :D , scenario being played dbl blind, so he didn't purchase that truck either.

might teach me to give units ambush orders 'off target' to stop them popping the first crappy target as well.

ben

Everyone keeps saying how the Search is broken but it works fine for me. It's a little slow but with over 200,000 posts to get through thats understandable. I am checking to see if perhaps people with non-broadband connections are timing out though just to be sure.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Everyone keeps saying how the Search is broken but it works fine for me. It's a little slow but with over 200,000 posts to get through thats understandable. I am checking to see if perhaps people with non-broadband connections are timing out though just to be sure.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have a t1 college campus connection and it is MUCH slower than the other search...

could be im timing out on my crappy 56k connection. (generic modem + crappy isp)

it does look like this now that you mention it- sends the request, then just seems to hang while retrieving results.

used to work for me a few weeks ago though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

I am checking to see if perhaps people with non-broadband connections are timing out though just to be sure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My searches time out at my workplace. On a 2Mb line... :(

Maybe it's an OS or browser issue?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chuckle:

... my opponent drove a truck at high speed along a central road, thru my defenses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is by no means gamey!

It's strange that your mines and roadblock didn't stop it though, they usually do...

... unless you didn't have any. In that case it's bad tactics from you.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

This is by no means gamey!

It's strange that your mines and roadblock didn't stop it though, they usually do...

... unless you didn't have any. In that case it's bad tactics from you.

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From one of his previous statements I get the impression that this game was either a non-QB scenario or a QB with AI purchase on. In that case you really can't blame him for not having any/enough roadblocks and mines.

Dschugaschwili

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

... In that case you really can't blame him for not having any/enough roadblocks and mines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In that case I blame his superiors for not providing the needed assets... ;)

Anyway, the main point was that driving a truck (or Jeep/Kübelwagen) down a road can't be gamey.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

... driving a truck (or Jeep/Kübelwagen) down a road can't be gamey.

Why not? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cause those wheeled vehicles are designed with the intent of driving them on roads.

If those roads happen to be controlled by hostile armed persons, then it's pretty close to suicide to drive there...

Cheers

Olle

Olle you are being silly. Gamey means exploiting loopholes in the game system. Global knowledge is such a loophole.

In real life, the reason that recon was not done by trivial, unsupported forces was not that they would most likely be killed -- though that was probably a factor. It was that if the recon simply disappeared, you gained next to zero information about what lies ahead.

I'm not sure if this was the case here but using trucks for recon is one thing but using them ALSO to draw fire, from armour, while your other tanks sit back and watch for who to aim at next should be considered gamey.

using a truck for recon, due to "borg like" intel is gamey IMHO. The game was tweaked to make all fast moving vehicles not able to spot very well. (what EXACTLY this means I'm not sure, but it seems to be effective).

Any way, some people may choose to play the game that way. I myself use gamey tactics sometimes if we are playing no-holds barred, anything goes rules.

But I would still say sending trucks on suicide recon runs is attempting to exploit the absolute spotting protocol and I would label it gamey (but this is not always a BAD thing smile.gif , but it is ahistorical)

-tom w

On the topic of Gamey tactics and fast moving vehicles spotting ability:

I had a large column of armor moving up a straight road with heavy woods on either side. Obviously I had to stick to the road because of the woods lining the rood.I had 2 scout cars and a halftrack up front. They ripped down the long straight stretch and stopped around a corner to wait for the armor to catch up. The scouts saw nothing. The armor hunted up the road and got jumped by a large ambush of infantry from all sides. I lost the front tank which blocked the road slowing everything else down causing them to get blasted too. Panzerschreks and fausts cut my column apart. I lost about 5 tanks in 2 turns causing a huge traffic jam on the road. I could not proceed without first clearing the woods of infantry.

My point is my fast moving SCOUT cars saw nothing and my column got blasted. These were not gamey tactics at all. What the heck is a scout car for if not to burn down a road and have a look. If I don't have scout cars, I'll use a jeep or halftrack or something to SCOUT ahead if I have to move thru an area that I think has an ambush waiting for me. I nthis case mt recon didn't do jack for me but on other occasions it has drawn out the ambushers letting me try to clear them out before I move thru. I don't think that's gamey at all. I just ahd a jeepMG scout a road I couldn't see down because of snow and darkness and pass right by 3 StuGs and end up killing a Company HQ and a Squad HQ before retreating into the woods (only to be blasted by a StuG that turned around). Again I don't think it's gamey but that's me!

:confused:

creep, the reason your scout cars didn't see anything is because you had them move fast down the road. Next time have them move slow about 200m ahead of your main force.

For a real life example drive down a country road at 55mph and see how many ruffed grouse you see under the trees. Then do it again at 5mph (this is how I like to hunt them when my old, bad knees wear out).

What good is a scout that doesn't see anything?

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Lars ]

gamey. . i hate that phrase, this game represents war, and in war THERE ARE NO RULES, except the rules of the natural world,i.e, physics, chemistry, etc. I say let him do whatever he wants with that truck, it's his decision, not his opponents. I think people like to use gamey as an excuse when they get caught with their pants down. no offense.