(((0.091*28.82)-x)*92.736)*100 = ((7.264*100)*(41-(28.82-x)))

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StellarRat:

While all you math wizards are at it, could somebody supply a proof that this equation has no solutions?

x^n + y^n = z^n where n is bigger than 2

:D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Isn't a solution to this problem:

x=0, y=1, z=1 for any (non-zero) value of n?

How about x=1, y=1 and z= the nth root of 2 for any (non-zero) value of n?

Or did you mean non-zero, whole number solutions? smile.gif

--Philistine

Damn I didn't realize asking for help with one little equation would create such a stir. I would just like to answer Juardis's question to me as to how this equation has anything to do with CM. I don't feel like a full explanation of what I am working on is needed, but I will say that it is an equation to calculate the probability of an event occuring. Lets just say I may take my gaming a little too seriously. I did try to get someone to provide me with some help at an algebra help site, but I never got any response. Being that the demographic makeup of the people who play this game and read this board is above average as far as intelligence is concerned (although it may be a little behind in social development) I felt comfortable that someone would be able to help me out. I apologize for any inconvenience that I caused.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baker350:

...I don't feel like a full explanation of what I am working on is needed... [snip] ...the demographic makeup of the people who play this game and read this board is above average as far as intelligence is concerned (although it may be a little behind in social development)...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you include yourself in that last comment ;)

Marco Bergman posted a full solution within an hour of your request, yet four days later you don't seem to have thanked him for his effort (unless you emailed him).

And ... a request for a fully worked solution surely deserves a fully worked explanation of why you want it - not least because other people may want to use what you've come up with. Besides, if it is for CM, what do you care what the steps involved in getting to the solution are :confused:

See what happens when you go all secretive? People get all curious smile.gif

Regards

JonS

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

Lets just say I may take my gaming a little too seriously<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously, you have not been around this site very long smile.gif

seriously, did you see how some guys pop out 50 mods for the game? how some damn fool wrote a 2 page long faq, and keeps bumping it up to the first page? and the stat tests on how much of an effect a double combat bonus does? no need to hide things here smile.gif

Obviously Mr. Baker350 has found a way to figure, in centimeters, the length of his wanker based upon its relaxed size. Being a private thing, he is of course correct not to share his findings with us. Instead, he should thank Narco and let us know that this is the average distance in AU from the sun of some celestial object or other, or the number of G (constant) needed to launch an object into a pole to pole orbit, or some such.

Damn I didn't realize asking for help with one little equation would create such a stir. I would just like to answer Juardis's question to me as to how this equation has anything to do with CM. I don't feel like a full explanation of what I am working on is needed, but I will say that it is an equation to calculate the probability of an event occuring. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I don't get it. You some kind of statistic geek? If you can come up with the equation, then surely you can solve the damned thing? I mean, I'm a nuclear engineer and solving equations is easy to me. Coming up with the equations is an entirely different story. If you're smart enough to come up the the equation, then you're way smarter than me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

OK, I don't get it. You some kind of statistic geek? If you can come up with the equation, then surely you can solve the damned thing? I mean, I'm a nuclear engineer and solving equations is easy to me. Coming up with the equations is an entirely different story. If you're smart enough to come up the the equation, then you're way smarter than me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. I'm mechanical engineer and the hardest point in solving a problem is creating an equation to describe it. Once you have the equation, it's easy to solve it, especially easy one like this one... So, our friend must be, hmm, "different" from the rest of people. ;) He can easily put up with statistical equations but he cannot solve easy math equations with one unknown variable. Strange. :rolleyes:

Jesus jumped up bald headed ol' Christ,

Why are you guys bein' such a pack of pricks to this fella. He asked a question, he got his answer, and three pages later some of you nere-do-wells are still dropping your ridiculous 'explain yourself, mortal' forum turds upon him.

If you're somehow bothered or inconvenienced by this thread, why keep reading it, whipping yourselves into a 'how dare he' lather, and posting your public 'outrage'.

Mind your business. He owes you no explanations. You owe him no replies.

Lock this turd.

[ edited to remove wanton vitriol (and cap. Christ) redface.gif ]

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

:confused: "g" is a constant???

How come?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A long long, very long time ago Mother Earth said (after serious heated debate with Father Sun) that the "g" will be an almost constant value. It is from then on known that the "g" is around 9.81 m/s2, depending where on Mother Earth you are standing.

But you probably speak about G-spot, which of course is not a constant!

:D:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Ahhh, it keeps getting better! Keep 'em coming!

How do you define "almost constant"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously know the answer, why are you asking? It depends on location, but for everyday "Earthly" use it's precise enough if we use 9.81m/s2

tongue.gif

Again I have to apologize, this time for not thanking Margo for his timely and thorough answer to my question. I also wanted to respond to Porajkl who thinks I may be a little "different" and said:

"Once you have the equation, it's easy to solve it, especially easy one like this one... So, our friend must be, hmm, "different" from the rest of people. He can easily put up with statistical equations but he cannot solve easy math equations with one unknown variable. Strange."

That equation is in fact easy to find an answer to, which I did with no problem in my head (albiet I do have to make a couple notations on paper). The problem I was having is that my damn computer and I think a bit differently. Therefore I needed to have the equation phrased in an algebraic format in order to get my program to solve for x.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Porajkl:

I agree with you. I'm mechanical engineer and the hardest point in solving a problem is creating an equation to describe it. Once you have the equation, it's easy to solve it, especially easy one like this one...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, that is why I am a civil engineer, we don't have to mess with no steenkin 'quations. We either dig it up, bury it, move it or pave it. Problem solved, here's your bill :D .

That equation is in fact easy to find an answer to, which I did with no problem in my head (albiet I do have to make a couple notations on paper). The problem I was having is that my damn computer and I think a bit differently. Therefore I needed to have the equation phrased in an algebraic format in order to get my program to solve for x.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baker I still don't understand : this equation is *easy* for any student 15 old with enough brain to post here :eek: , so what's your point ?

You gave it in algebraic format and no program was required to solve it !

Anyway this equation looks more like homework than anything else, so why do you fudge instead of admitting it ?

:rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Baker I still don't understand : this equation is *easy* for any student 15 old with enough brain to post here :eek: , so what's your point ?

You gave it in algebraic format and no program was required to solve it !

Anyway this equation looks more like homework than anything else, so why do you fudge instead of admitting it ?

:rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beware Pascal! Clubfoot is about to swing his heavy club against you, you "wannaknoweverything" mortal! smile.gif

:D:D

Run away! Run away!

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Porajkl ]