Damaged guns......

I can't imagine a gun being damage in real life as often as it does in CM. What do they make those guns out of anyway, cardboard? Last night I had a Hetzer on a ridge 2,300m(!) from an opposing Sherman 75 and after 3 turns I get a 'Gun Damaged" on the Hetzer!

Keep in mind that gun damage represents a ton of different things, not just a round hitting the barrel. It could be the gunner's sight being damaged, the elevation or traverse controls being fouled up, a breech jam, etc.

I agree that sometimes, gun damage seems awfully prevalent, but I think, overall, its probably well in line.

MikeyD wrote:

I can't imagine a gun being damage in real life as often as it does in CM. What do they make those guns out of anyway, cardboard?

Well, for example, Finns had 19 Stugs at Kuuterselkä. Of those, 4 (21%) had to retreat because of gun troubles. One got a gun hit, loading mechanism malfunctioned in one, and two lost aiming mechanisms.

- Tommi

It's interesting to note that I have never seen any quotes in any of my books stating gun damage etc as a reason for retreating. (and I've read 80% of all books ever written about tanks tongue.gif )

Could this be because anyone that did get a damaged gun/turret/mechanisms didn't live to talk about it?

Have I just missed quotes in other books (very possible) or is it really some other abstractions?

Anyone? Anyone?

i would assume its more on the lines of if you are taking direct fire to your turret, you prb are not far from death(well unless your fighting sherman75's hehe) in which case you cant just back up and go home. you would have to abandon the tank and run like hell.

but thats just imo

karch,

In one of my books (I too have read 80% of all books ever written about tanks - rotflmao), I think about the Panther, a lot of detail is spent on how they refined the gunner's optics for quick repair so they'd be able to return to the battle. (The quick repair usually was a swap out of the sight.) The implication is that optics were damaged in battle frequently enough to warrant this modification. Further, again implied, is that the tank would retire to a protected location to effect the required repairs.

So, yes, hits would knock out the gun, either directly (barrel, recoil mechanism, etc.), or indirectly (gun sight, ummm, errr, other stuff).

Sorry, but I don't know which book.

Ken

Originally posted by tss:

Well, for example, Finns had 19 Stugs at Kuuterselkä. Of those, 4 (21%) had to retreat because of gun troubles. One got a gun hit, loading mechanism malfunctioned in one, and two lost aiming mechanisms.

IIRC of these only the actual gun hit was AFV vs AFV related. The aiming mechanisms were damaged when enemy infantry tossed grenades on the vehicles.

BTW: has anybody come across any stats on misfires and/or other ammo related gun troubles like tube detonations ? In artillery that was common enough to warrant procedures to clear the ammo from the gun chamber. I would think the 5sec wait in an AFV would be a tense one. smile.gif

Guys, lets take this thread back to my question:

In my current PBEM fight, a Priest have a damaged gun, but the .50 mg ( seperate ) can not fire or target.

I think we should get message like :

Damaged Gun/mg OR

Damaged Gun , in this case the .50 mg should be able to fire.

Monty aka Moose

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Monty:

Guys, lets take this thread back to my question:

In my current PBEM fight, a Priest have a damaged gun, but the .50 mg ( seperate ) can not fire or target.

I think we should get message like :

Damaged Gun/mg OR

Damaged Gun , in this case the .50 mg should be able to fire.

Monty aka Moose<hr></blockquote>

Maybe it was buttoned. When tanks are buttoned, they can't fire their AAMGs (I'm sure for Sherman).