Fighting breaks out in the desert!

Folks,

MikeT asked me to post these sneak peeks at his upcoming desert mod. Some of these vehicles will no doubt look familiar smile.gif but when placed in these new environs they look brand new.

A German convoy rolls through the desert.

View?u=1394876&a=10415756&p=37536085

Is that the great "Desert Fox" himself?

View?u=1394876&a=10415756&p=37536088

The "good guys", dressed to the nines.

View?u=1394876&a=10415756&p=37536091

Gordon (on behalf of MikeT)

Supercool! When are they gonna be ready?

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

Guys, thanks for the comments. The three of us are tworking as much as time allows. We are just gamers with an interest in the desert.

I wish I could give you a set date for the release. The product will be released in several zips. I will try to keep them as small as possible.

In a few days I will post a bit more on what I have in mind and how I plan to make this work.

MikeT

Guest Offwhite

Quite nice-looking indeed. I look forward to seeing scenarios written for the CMBO vehicles that saw service in the desert. Infantry will be a little futuristic in some cases, but we can't have everything, can we?

Wow...! that horizon blending in with the ground in the first pic looks absolutely infinite. Like an endless desert. Cool!

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Juju, thanks for the comment about the horizon. I must admit that it was a limit addition and worked out far better than I had hoped. Every time I look as these pictures I say damn that looks great.

I do have a problem in that the "sides" of the battle map are still green. I cannot seem to find the BMP to change that color. Maybe it is hardcoded in the game.

Everyone please keep in mind that I cannot ADD anything to the game. I can only change how it looks. Offwhite made a comment that the infantry will be a bit futuristic. IF they are allowed PanserFausts/Shrecks you are correct. But the builtin editor allows you to lower those numbers to zero or delete them from the force mix. Now you just have normal infantry armed with rifles and SMGs. DC's are possible and since there is no way to add antitank rifles that will be the infantry's only antitank weapon.

As time goes by I will address many things I had to do to make the desert work within a game designed for 1944-45. For instance the Brits have no cruiser tanks nor the Matilda, but if you think about it the Cromwell armed only with AP ammo subs quite well or should I say as well as the game permits.

Also I can do nothing about PZIIIs armed with 50mm cannon. So the Germans will use primarily PZIVs. There will be some ASL scenarios that I will not be able to reproduce in CM.

When I get the Italian wavs from Rick in Italy then Italian forces can be added. Suitable subs for the M13/40, L6/40, and Semnotevte assualt gun are in the game now in the form of the H39, Lynx, and Stug. Rick is working on redoing the BMPs to alter their appearance.

Clubfoot is doing a fantastic job in his work. The introscreen which amazed me. He did the promo bmp that is at the UK CM site.

Right not he and I are working up changes to the game to add in palms, Olive trees, boulder fields, and even cactus.

Terence, the desert seriously changes tactics. Artillery fire is a killer due to the open terrain. The spotter can literally walk the artillery along with you as your move. Shots are long, very long. I had a battle in which I learned a real respect for that little Stuart, its 37mm took out 4 PZIVs real quick. The HMG can take out a moving infantry unit quick, that DAMN .50 cal literally blew away one squad in seconds.

I am planning on adding Vichy French to the game. I do seriously need a person that does uniforms well since I also need the Italians done.

If this mod is received well Clubfoot and I have other ideas. So if anyone knows somebody that speaks Japanese or Russian please let me know. By accident I ran into a person from Norway that got the demo and now has the game ordered. He has offered to work up Norwegian wavs for 1940 battles. The game already permits Poland in 1940, at least as far as infantry battles go.

MikeT

Congratulations on your efforts lads.Even if it never gets off the ground,the screen-shots will be enough to keep me dreaming for a while.The thought of ambushing slow moving truck convoys with well placed artillery bombardments makes my mouth water!Good luck with your eforts,cheers,Bob.

Francesco, you are correct. I realize that and there is nothing I can do about it. All I can do is try to catch the feel of desert ops by redressing the existing game. The game doesn't permit actually changing the performance of weapons only how they are used.

Maybe it is the old boardgamer in me but I cannot see that this should prevent a desert game. Mind you I am not saying that we WILL see a desert game with Panthers or Tiger IIs in it, you could and most likely see a Tiger I. But having battles with a PZIV versus a Sherman or Stuart doesn't bother me. The difference in main gun performance between the F1 and the J isn't all that great. If memory serves it was the same long barrelled 75mm. I am not using Fireflys on the British nor Jumbo Shermans. Mind you I cannot and will not prevent anyone from creating a hypothetical battle set in Egypt with the DAK using a JagdPanther. In fact it could be interesting.

MikeT

2 points to note so far.

A) I think the terrians there are just not sand alone. There are small rubbles and stones scatter around. Moreover, they are brushes dotted sparingly in the desert.

B) Many have pointed that most tanks modelled in CMBO are not in that time frame ('41-'43). But I think battle around Tunsia would be fine (Tigers vs Sherman) or I find acceptable to have hypothectical battles post '43 peroid.

I really love to see this mod! As a "Desert Fox" fan, I always play WW2 desert warfare : fro W@W:OC, Steel Panthers, and TOAW...

Looking forward to see your nice work soon.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Thanx for all the interest fellas,

The graphics end of things are really moving at quite a clip at this point, and it seems most of the vehicles are complete as well.

Italian units are planned for inclusion, but whether they are released initially will depend upon their stage of completion, I imagine.

An added note to MikeT's comments on historical accuracy: It's true that there will be glaring flaws in the availability of vehicles that even a middling grog will be able to drive his deuce & 1/2 through. But trudge on through the anachronisms, and we think you'll see its merits regardless.

Rolling on Sidi bou Zid with Hans von Luck's 21st panzer recon, or buzzing that Jerry supply column with Sterling's Elite LRDG units in MG jeeps, we hope it'll be fun for all.

Clubfoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeT:

1) Offwhite made a comment that the infantry will be a bit futuristic. IF they are allowed PanserFausts/Shrecks you are correct. ... DC's are possible and since there is no way to add antitank rifles that will be the infantry's only antitank weapon.

2) For instance the Brits have no cruiser tanks nor the Matilda, ... the Cromwell ... subs ... as well as the game permits.

3) the Germans will use primarily PZIVs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1) Although the P-schreck is anachronistic and overkill compared to the ATRs, I wouldn't hesitate allowing them to the infantry.

2) The Germans had plenty of PzKw II in Africa... (Dare I mention Lynx, that you suggest being reserved for the Italians.)

3) IIRC one of the British cruisers were the Honey, AKA Stuart, already available in the game (and you seem to have made a stunning mod for it as well).

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Srategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...