Which tank in "Captain ... Mandoline"? (Hertzer?)

I saw a preview for the movie your referring to, Captain's whatshisname's Mandolin. I also saw what was clearly a Hetzer rolling over a big debris pile coming toward the camera.

I haven't seen the preview again to figure what theater of the war it takes place in, but it seems to involve some Italian soldiers and perhaps some Greeks? or Cypriots?. Nicolas Cage apparently decides to fight against the Axis, alongside the towns people.

*sigh* Nic Cage is indeed gorgeous as the Italian Capt Corelli, and not only do we have Nic in full uniform, but he also actually plays the Mandolin and Sings, ok not as cool as his version of "Love me tender" from "Wild at heart", but still pretty damn good.

One thing though.... His Italian accent was pretty far off the mark, guess he's not perfect after all.

Bit of a let down as a movie, the book was so much better. Unless like me, you adore the lovely Nic, I would give it a miss..

Not much in the way of tanks either the clip Vegel refers to is pretty much it really.

Which doesn't make really any sense since I think he is an Italian soldier. Why would he fight against the his own army and axis ally? Oh wait, I forgot. For the love of a women. *gag*

I am just sick and tired of all these Hollywodd war movies that have the have a "love story" in them. Kiiiirist. You would think the dying part in war would be drama enough.

Fer ding bast it,

Jeff

Read the book before you bad mouth the "Hollywoodism". I haven't seen the movie but he fights the Germans for a more important reason then "the love of a woman"! Remember, not all all Italian soldiers went into German internment camps peacefully. Read the book..it's a good read.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

Which doesn't make really any sense since I think he is an Italian soldier. Why would he fight against the his own army and axis ally? Oh wait, I forgot. For the love of a women. *gag*

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, its apparently a true story. Many Italian units fought the Germans. In fact, an Italian battalion or so was cut down to the last man defending against the Germans entry into Rome in 1944. Truly a heroic stand. They made an ASL scenario out of it.

Frank

Its when the Italians changed sides and joined the Allies. The mainly Italian forces in that part of Greece had to decide between surrending to their former allies, the Germans, or fighting them in the expectation of the Allies turning up at any moment. The German Army was less than gentle of its treatment of Italian prisoners (massacres occured). Those Italians who chose to fight had little AT capability or arty and no air cover. The book as I understand it is based on the real life tale of the officer in command of the Italian's only artillery battery on that particular island. He was captured and shot by the Germans in a mass execution, but survived thanks to the kindness of the local Greeks. The film is based on the book (it leaves out alot of the real life drama).

I saw it yesterday. The Hetzer is seen only briefly, in a scene that also has two half-tracks (which are painted correctly, the first time I've ever seen that in a war movie). The German troops seemed to be wearing a mix of field gray and the tropical uniform (mostly the latter; I'm not very familiar with that uniform, but it looked pretty good to me, and would be authentic for that region). I think the Italian vehicles were authentic (trucks and cars). There are also some Stukas that I assume were CGI, but I really couldn't tell (are there flying Stukas around?). It's not a war movie so much as it's a story of how the war turned these people's lives upside-down. There's only one combat scene, and it's brief. Captain Correlli does NOT fight because of the love of a woman, btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Zeares:

...(are there flying Stukas around?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I've heard of so far. And even museum exhibits aren't exactly thick on the ground. Odd when you think about it, as it is one of the chief icons of the war. Maybe somebody will get around to building a replica.

Michael

I saw the movie with my wife last night. I'd give it a big thumbs up. The love triangle is great, (I can see why Tom went for Penelope smile.gif. At first I thought the military part of the story was fantasy, but when I got home and looked under Italy in my Oxford Encyclopedia of WW2, it appears to be entirely based on a real story. The island of Cephalonia was garrisoned by the Aqui Division and when Italy surrendered they refused to be disarmed by the Germans. Over the course of eight days 1,400 Italians were killed in combat. After they were subdued the Germans executed another 4,700.

I highly recommend the movie.

Warren

From the decscription it looks like the movie is set during the Dodecanese campaign in late 1943 when the germans took over the Dodecanese islands from the Italians and the British tried to move in before the campaign was aborted on orders from Eisenhower. We did an EMC in Warbirds about it, the writeup is still up at the EMC webpage, just hit "previous" and look for EMC 24 "Dodecanese".

apex

It's set on the Greek island of Kephalonia (or Cephalonia, Kefalonia,Kefallinia, take your pick) and the historical basis is spot on.

Greece was partioned between the Italians and the Germans in 1941, the Bulgarians also got a bit too.

In 1943 the Italian war effort collapsed. Hitler was faced with the possibilty of the Allies picking up a foothold in Greece by default, so he ordered his forces to disarm the Italians.

Most of the Italian armies disarmed peacefully, however Kephalonia was the site of one of the few (possibly the only)organised Italian resistances to this take-over.

The Italian forces linked up with the Partisans on Kefalonia and mounted a determined but ultimately doomed resistance, which was crushed by superior German forces, including aircraft (presumably Stukas as they were still around in the Med at this point). Hetzers? probably not as this can't have been later than mid-43, and I don't think Hetzers were around then. I'd have thought PIII's were a possibility, also STUG's.

Me and My Other Half have been to Kefalonia a fair few times. Its a lovely place, well worth a fortnight's package deal. memory of WW2 and the occupation are still strong on the island. In the place we last stayed, Aghia Evfimia, there was a site behind the village that I was told was the location of a massacre of Italian soldiers by the Germans.

A final point, which I don't think the film highlights: the Greeks don't really have any more fond memories of the Italian Occupation than they do of the German tenure. Both came as conquerors, and neither were especially pleasant whilst they were there. There are still some resorts on Kef were German tour operators are advised not to make bookings, and the Greeks still resolutely refuse to speak Italian, despite apparently having mastered every other European language.

Well, then the marketing for this movie has totally sucked.

First they were pushing it as a "love story first" angle and now the more recent adds have been pushing the war angle. Whatever... If it's a war movie I might see it, if it's another "doomed" love story I'll pass again.

My life is already filled with enough "doomed love" to last me a lifetime. I need some more war in it to round things out, ya know...

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> jshandorf said:

My life is already filled with enough "doomed love" to last me a lifetime. I need some more war in it to round things out, ya know... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee Jeff that is really said. Maybe you should sell your story to Hollywood. It could be the story of lost love during the trials of playing Combat Mission. At the critical moment you have to decide between the woman (I assume woman) you love and continuing your battles in the tournament of the "stars."

My guess is that the ending would have you choosing the companionship of your pixelated soldiers.

I know that some of the people on the board might be willing to go see at least a matinee showing of this movie.