ALLIED TRUCK MOD COMPLETE!!!

Yep, I must say though that it was a team effort between myself and Rick Klein. He provided the basic idea and "Marco-like" pallete. I graciously borrowed the wood texture from Pud's new excellent Wooden Bunker to enhance what Rick had already attempted. The final product is really a MUST HAVE. You'll actually want to protect the little buggers now. ;)tongue.gif:D

Guys, there is one slight ananomoly with the mod. Apparently the textures around the the bed railings don't quite match up with the 3D model. So you'll see where the transparency effect runs into the green support posts on the left side and where the green support posts run over into the transparency area on the right side. But this is not noticable from afar.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But this is not noticable from afar.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno, someone once said that we should be able to expect perfection from the mod-makers. The base texture is still blurry and needs to be sharpened up maybe if possible. There's also pixelization around the white stars, along the edges of the flatbed and front fenders and even along the slats. Please do somefink! ;)

-John

Well I emailed a picture of it to Marco and he replied back with some suggestions. So I'm working on those now. Rick, I'm darkening the Commonwealth version to match Marco's Commonwealth stuff. I will also add some nationality markings. Also doing a low_viz version for the US version. One major thing I am rounding up the wheels a little bit from a little method that Marco is doing with his Greyhounds.

Tiger, I know you're just trying to burst the bubble, but that's OK. There is no pixelation whatsoever in this mod. We did not change the dpi. I think this is where you're getting your pixelation. Anyway....

I had already sent Manx a copy, but now it will be outdated. Now with all of these extra options, I may have to break this up into US version and Commonwealth version zips. I will see if I can get Gordon or Marco to update the batch file to incorporate this mod.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tiger, I know you're just trying to burst the bubble, but that's OK. There is no pixelation whatsoever in this mod. We did not change the dpi. I think this is where you're getting your pixelation. Anyway....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Maximus, I do think the textures look quite blurry and I do see pixelization. Just a bit of constructive criticism. Intresting that you like to nit-pick my mods but don't like the same done to you....

Increasing the dpi is not creating pixelization Max, quite the opposite. If you decrease the dpi then that would create pixelization, as the pixels become larger.

Alot of pixelization is already present on the stock CMBO bmps and there's not alot can be done about it except to smooth it out but not so much it becomes blurry. Cut and pasting from pictures will also create a little pixelization if you're not careful or if you modify it too much.

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

No Maximus, I do think the textures look quite blurry and I do see pixelization. Just a bit of constructive criticism. Intresting that you like to nit-pick my mods but don't like the same done to you....

Increasing the dpi is not creating pixelization Max, quite the opposite. If you decrease the dpi then that would create pixelization, as the pixels become larger.

Alot of pixelization is already present on the stock CMBO bmps and there's not alot can be done about it except to smooth it out but not so much it becomes blurry. Cut and pasting from pictures will also create a little pixelization if you're not careful or if you modify it too much.

-John<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well damn, I had a nice long response to this typed out but the server wouldn't take it. Oh well.

Anyway, Tiger if you think that this mod is blurry and pixelated, I suggest you get a new video card or monitor. Because it looks just fine on my end.

Besides, it still strike me as ironic that nobody else increases the dpi on their mods and yet your's are the only ones that tend to be severely pixelated. Coincidence? I think not.

Increasing the size of the bitmap does not enlarge rhe pixels. A pixel is a pixel. What does happen is that it stretches out the existing image across *more* pixels, allowing finer detail painting. Because the CM game engine will fit the bitmap to the 3D model the same no matter what size it is, the dpi has nothing to do with what it looks like on screen. However, in your case, I think what is happening is that since you are increasing the dpi, when the program resizes the image to fit in the game, those extra pixels you are creating are actually being duplicated on the screen which makes for a double pixel for every pixel that was in the image to begin with, hence the pixelization.

Just do this once for me, Tiger. Don't increase the dpi and we'll see what it does. I bet it won't be pixelated. See I think you are confused on what increasing the dimensions actually does. It takes a pixel from the orignal texture and makes a 2x2, 4x4, etc (depending what percentage you increase the original.) block of pixels of the original pixel.

Computer screens can only display 72 dpi anyway. Which is why a printout is actually clearer than the image on screen. My printer can print up to 2880x720 dpi. I printed a composite picture of what the Earth Looks like at night and the printed image was clearer than the image was on screen. And that was only at 1440 dpi. So increasing the dpi on these CM bitmaps, it screws up the natural look of the file.

As to taking offense to your criticism, maybe, but I can assure you that this mod is not blurry or pixelated other than what we did not mod.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As to taking offense to your criticism, maybe, but I can assure you that this mod is not blurry or pixelated other than what we did not mod.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly Max. You label everything I do as pixelated, which is not the case. You claim to know what causes it, which is not the case. Then you state that there's no pixelization on yours except what you did not mod. Obviously I've tried increasing and decreasing the dpi and the only effect is it gets blurry and pixelated when I decrease it.

Pixelization does not occur except where the stock bmp already had it, or I've inadvertantly mis-pasted a section (usually wheels) from a b&w source.

Most all of KwazyDog's early hi-res stuff from the mod-packs was set at 144 dpi, so this is not having the effect you claim it is. Most of the pixelization you note on my mods, you can not see from any distance away from the mod. Only if you're nose-close. Why you apply different criteria for me and another criteria for others only you know this answer Max.

Many of the stock bitmaps are already pixelated. Look at the stock jagdtiger bmps. I'm sick and tired of you needling me about it when you have the same problem and I can find similiar pixelization on your mods.

As to the blurriness of your truck mod, you can look at the picture you posted above and see that the textures are somewhat blurry (i.e. not sharp). It has nothing to do with my video card nor monitor, both of which are quite nice (a sony multiscan 19", priced over $800), although if that's the excuse you want to go with that's fine. I still think it's a good looking mod.

I find it amusing that someone who likes to needle, criticise, and use innuendo, and who himself claims to enjoy the title of being a "big jerk", doesn't like to recieve constructive criticism himself.

Get over yourself Max. And you can expect to receive alot more constructive criticism from me as I've retired from modding (I told a few people early last week). This should please you greatly. However I'm going to be all over your stuff "like ugly on an ape". smile.gif

-John

Hey Guys,

Im no Mod creater for sure, but one thing i know is Tiger (Mr John.S.) is the mod god !! His mods are crystal and look so realistic its hard to belive its not a photo at times. he knows what hes talking about man.

As for the truck, i dont think its a great improvement on the origional, very blotchy looking and no nice defining shading to give its nice shape, not one for down loading.

As for john quitting modding :( A great shame, i have most your mods john and always look forward to the next piece of work you create. Personal fave being the hotchkiss. Ill miss your work dude, good luck in what ever your doing now.

Maximus, you need to learn to take citicism better if your gona be a modder dude. We all learn by mistakes and if no one criticised then we would learn sweet F**k all.

Nuff said....

Tiger, Maximus,

I use mods from both of you, and I never thought about pixels or blurriness. Pieces of art, not more, not less.

You both did a GREAT job, and there is no need to go into a "my thingie is bigger than yours" discussion.

It is all about mod style and taste, and if this is different, well, the better it is for the community.

Tiger, I really hope that you do not quit modding b/c of this discussion.

Anyway, both of you, keep up the good work, calm down...and take a look at the download numbers of all your mods Tiger and Max...this speaks for itself ;)

Fred

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Fred ]

Maximus you know when you DO cross the line.

Can't you just limit yourself to be a pest only once in a while.

Go look at Tom's site:

Preview.jpg

Most of the MODs are Tiger's.

As with most of the others sites...

I am not using most of them and that's mostly because I do prefer Marco's Shermans and Fernando's PSW.

It has NOTHING to do with or against Tiger as I enjoy most of his other MODs.

Take a close look at that Firefly.

If you are not into nationality markings and batch files, aren't those latest Tiger's MODs a truly impressive work?

Don't you love those Comets, Challengers et Al?

Come on, that guy is peeing MODs like I say Bonjour Mademoiselle.

Give him a break and that will do yourself good.

Your work even if less prolific is quite good too.

Don't do pissing contest in the wind as nobody will benefit from it.

As for your decision Tiger, you do as you please and it's all yours so I won't push or shove with the expected result to have you crank some MODs again.

But you are obviously talented and if I believe the sheer frenesy with which you do them, willing.

So don't go against that.

Eurowarrior must be lauging his ass off loud really...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tiger, I really hope that you do not quit modding b/c of this discussion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I've been trying to take a break for awhile now. ;)

What really irks me is how Maximus can spew all kinds of criticisms about others' mods (really only mine now that I think about it), but can not take a little minor criticism himself....

It looks a little blurry. So what. That can be "fixed". There's a little pixelization. So what. I know it's from the stock bmp use but it's what Max digs into me about so... you know.... smile.gif

I needed a long break where I can just play and do some tourneys and not worry about fixing this or that mod. I've already noticed a few things on alot of my mods that I'd like to fix (something that occurs constantly) but "I ain't gonna!" smile.gif

I'd even recently figured out a new technique to reduce pixelization, increase detail and really cleans up the bmp overall.

Will have to wait for CM2 perhaps.

There are plenty of super-talented CMBO modders out there that are much better than me so there will always be great mods to download.

-John

ps~ here's the last mod(s) I sent to Tom's HQ:

improvedfirefly.jpg

Is it perfect? No. Could it use some improvements? Undoubtedly. Pixelization? Probably a little bit though I haven't thought to look for it.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Tiger ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

What really irks me is how Maximus can spew all kinds of criticisms about others' mods (really only mine now that I think about it), but can not take a little minor criticism himself...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a side note, Maximus was on the test team of the one and only MOD I produced.

I guess that makes me a MODer per se but I am not in anyway comparing my production to yours.

He gave me some good and sound advices.

So did Marco and GermanBoy.

I tweaked some of what they proposed and I left most of what I wanted.

Maximus told me: "YOU SCREWED IT"...

And you know what? It doesn't matter AT ALL.

Because others might be using YOUR MODs but YOU are doing them for YOU.

Plain and simple.

It's like those PBEM you'll start playing again at least, if someone is a gamey bastarditionist then don't play him again.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice and that you will have time to do things you care for at least.

If you need a game, send a setup where you'll be using your MODs to blow Max ones.

BTW, I'm sorry to tell you that Stuart MOD you just posted is WAY OFF as the gun is too long and for the hull you obviously simply did a cut and paste of a Sherman!

:D

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]

Max, a hint.

Drop the DPI debate, consign it to history, and just get on with the mods.

Although this will be a hard concept for you, sometimes it's better just to say nothing.

Tiger, I salute your current mod achievements, and wish you an enjoyable mod vacation. You deserve one.

Max: Nice mod. As always, I've enjoyed your work.

Tiger: I regret to hear you're hanging up your shoes. However, "Be Like Mike", and you too can come out of retirement. We will all be counting the days and watching.

BTS: Hurry up, we need a big carrot to lure him back. :D

I'm with Maximus on this one: it's whether a texture is 200 x 100 pixels or 200 x 150 pixels that counts, not some dpi number.

Dots per inch just doesn't enter the equation when we are talking about textures which are applied and stretched to a 3D model in a computer game.

If I am perfectly honest, I have never taken notice of dpi in computer imaging. It's the pixels that count, the number of pixels is the only factor which matters smile.gif

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: M. Bates ]

Hi, I'm a 'modder' as you'd put it for CFS2 (combat flight simulator 2) although I much prefer actually playing CMBO! I'm also a graphics professional and the painting/textures moderator at the busiest CFS2 forum site. Just so you know I'm not just making the next lot up...

Firstly, I think the mods are great, and to me (as I usually play at height 4) I'd never notice small problems such as the ones you mention. But even close up, from the screenshot above I'd say it's a very nice texture. I also think that Tiger's mods are fantastic too. Now for some theory...

The term 'dpi' has no meaning in 3D texture graphics, the important part is how many pixels there are. The term for this (as you probably know) is resolution. However, providing you don't refer to specific numbers, saying something along the lines of 'it's a higher dpi texture' whilst technically incorrect isn't going to confuse anyone about what you mean. Note that final image quality isn't just based on the resolution of the texture though: it also depends on how the texture is applied to the 3D model, how the game engine handles the rendering process and also the level of detail in the texture. Oh and did I mention artistic ability...

Have fun

Finn

This isn't really linked to the subjects at hand, but I thought that Tiger might get a kick out of this.

At the same time you were working on your M26 Pershing mod, I was doing the same thing. I had gone over it for intermittently for about a week, and was quite satisfied with the progress.

But it never quite posted or was finished, because when your M26 mod went public, I could see in a sec that yours was MUCH better.