Computer Games Magazine CM2 article...

Well since we're all asking questions...

Will the setup for PBEM games be made more secure, specifically regarding "computer Purchase" of units? As we all know there are some "cheats" involved in this that renders it unusable for playing secured ladder-type games with unknown opponents.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off topic....

Will we be able to fight in the Spanish Civil War in the early war CM? You know, it was as a trainning ground to Germans and Italians (well, Italians did not learn too much), and we had plenty of foreigners fighting along the Republic as well.

And some historians claim, BTW, that the fist succesful Blitzkrieg was done by the Germans here, after the Battle of Ebro, when they invaded Catalonia.

The day Barcelona felt in Franco´s hands, half of my familiy was crossing the French border. Exile was hard... And remember that some of the first tanks that reached Paris in 1944 were named "Don Quijote", "Castilla" and "Madrid"... and driven by Spaniards.

I don't know if my ilk is your target audience, but I think two new features would appeal to "casual" wargamers.

1) I'd like to see an "I Trust You" option for PBEM. I play with a longtime friend and the current turn sequence is overkill:

> Player2 - Watch & Plan

> Player1 - Plan

> Player2 - Watch

> Player1 - Watch & Plan

> Player2 - Plan

> Player1 - Watch

> Player2 - Watch & Plan

>

> It could be done in 3:

> Player2 - Watch & Plan

> Player1 - Plan & Watch

> Player2 - Watch & Plan

2) Perhaps an option to let the AI plan your turn for you. You could learn strategy tips, get through turns where little is happening (e.g. first couple of game turns for defender) or even just watch a "movie" with the AI playing both sides.

Thanks

As we all know the Russian morale was proportionate to their consumption of borsch from the Ukrainian red cabbage. How does CM2 model the the diminishing morale from consuming the less nutritious Latvian cabbage?

I realize this qualifies as "chrome" request and is probably not a priority, but are there any plans to expand the game movie options? Specifically, will we be able to save turn movies in solitare play and/or combine turn movies so as to be able to view replay of an entire game from e-mail/solitare play - the better to relive those glorious and horrible moments from the battlefield?

Regardless, many thanks for an incredible product w/ CMBO, and for your great product suppport. I'm really looking forward to seeing the system taken to the East Front. When will we be able to place advance orders for the game? I know it's not coming out for a while, but like many others here on the boards, I will want to get my hands on it as soon as it's available, and don't know if the old ticker could stand it if I had to wait for a backorder.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Were you the guys that asked this a few weeks ago?

Tracking of grenades isn't necessary. Say for instance that each man carries 2 grenades and the squad has 10 men. That's 20 grenades per squad. I haven't yet seen where one squad chucks more than maybe 5 or 6 grenades before either being eliminated or vice versa.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have, you should see this big close combat battle that lasted for 5-6 turns, i still have it if you wanna see.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit off topic....

Will we be able to fight in the Spanish Civil War in the early war CM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blenheim, consider this another request for the Spanish Civil War at some distant point in the future...in fact I'd love to see this subject covered by ANY game. I know there were a couple of excellent Steel Panthers scenarios but it would also suit something like CM or Close Combat.

I think if more people read up on this colourful and interesting period there would certainly be more game 'demand'. There's a good case for arguing that WW2 started in at least 1936 with participation by significant numbers of combatants from all over Europe, USA, Canada and USSR. Of course at the time of the SCW, Japan was also fighting against the Chinese but that's another story...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UncleMarty:

2) Perhaps an option to let the AI plan your turn for you. You could learn strategy tips, get through turns where little is happening (e.g. first couple of game turns for defender) or even just watch a "movie" with the AI playing both sides.

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure the AI is smart enough to be able to teach a human player much; it does odd things like lead charges with headquarters units, for example. While the AI is very sophisticated and probably the best AI in a tactical wargame to date, I don't think it would be wise to rely on it as a teacher, especially when thrown into a randomly created battle.