Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Impeccable Luck

One can find so much whining and sobbing about their bad luck in CM, and how they think it shouldn't have happened here. So I thought I'd send up a post on my impeccable luck. I was playing Wild Bill's One Tough Tanker scenario about Sgt. Pool. Midway through I began shelling the German controlled town at the end of the map with some 105, and 155mm fireworks. Well the German reinforcements rolled in, and one of their Panther's began making it's way through the town to engage my troops. Then all of a sudden *BOOM*!!! A 155mm shell went straight through the top hatch on the buttoned Panther's turret and set it ablaze!

Please join in fellas. I'd love to hear some good luck game-saving stories of your own.

Later,

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

You gotta just LOVE the "armour weak spot penetration" That 1-2% chance of lucky "fluke" kills comes up (at least for me) with alarmingly high frequency. smile.gif (I'm usually the one doing the penetrating!)

Mortars and arty are also know to be actually pretty effective against tanks (again if you get lucky!)

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-17-2001).]

i was playing this morning in a canned scenario, ME, where a company of troops backed up by 5 shermans and 2 m-10s is moving some uneven rolling hills towards 3 VLs. German armor -- a Panther andmove from behind trees and catches three shermans and one m-10 in the open behind a small rise, so the US tanks are downhill from the Panther and hull down. Distance : about 300 meters.

Its hard to describe, but basically the AI has put the Panther in a really really good position. Its going to be really hard to flank. From this spot, it can probably hold up the entire advance if it just sits there and keeps shooting.

All that the US tanks can see is the front armor of the Panther, which rotates its turret and smartly drills one Sherman right through the front turret. Brew up. Derisive laughter from the German side.

First bit of good luck: the Panther misses its next shots -- the US tanks are hull down.

Second bit of good luck: one of my Shermans bangs 4 shells off the front armor, irritating and disorienting the crew enough for the M-10 to get at gun hit on the Panther. That means that this tank, is now basically useless, and the remaining US armor can zip around to the side and dispose of it, which is what happens.

The tanks then roll up the German flank, with infantry and mortar support, but let me tell you -- without the gun hit, it would have been a disaster.

I won a mission in 6 turns once, and never saw a single enemy tank.

I was trying to deny the Germans an approach to a town I was holding by using my 155 arty and 4.5 inch rockets to plaster the easiest approach. My salvos started dropping in turn 3, and 3 turns later it was all over.

I never did see what was on the receiving end of those barages... I just assume that the Germans got caught right in the middle of the barage and nobody made it out alive.

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

It was a one in a million.

I was a little POed that I didn't get a chance to see the remnance of the force actually make visual contact when it surendered.

NOt only did I somehow devine the perfect spot for my artillery, but I also somehow devined that the forces that, by all rights, I didn't know were there had surrendered.

I spit diet coke through my nose when I saw the surrender screen pop up. biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

I recently had the joy of watching my 155 barrage in a snow scenario hit a road behind a defilade (I could just see the edge beside the road with my spotter)and watched vehicle explosions (3 of them) without knowing any were there.

I must admit I guessed correctly that he would use that road, and the time it takes for infantry to get there, so my blind bombardment caught the infantry the vehicles were moving with as well. I did get to see some of them on that ridge line. Heard 'em scream too.

The guy never responded to that move. Its been 4 weeks.

My favorite bit of luck happened last night in a QB, and was due more to my own stupidity than anything else. =) Playing a QB defense, I sent my lone tank, a KT out toward a hill where I wanted to get a hull down to try and spot his armor. Unbeknownst to me, he had a couple of infantry squads in the woods by the hilltop. In the span of 1 turn, I got near the top of the hill, spotted the infantry, and had taken out 8 of the squad members. Now, instead of backing away from the infantry as I should have, I decided to keep going. Next turn, an AT team pops up and fires...luckily he missed. The 4 man squad also pops up and chunks a grenade. The grenade flies straight toward my tank, then proceedes to hit the front, fly backwards up into the air and perform an airburst over the squad which had thrown it. The rest of the squad was wiped out, along with the AT team. I think I watched that movie for 10 minutes, just laughing like crazy...wish they had a voice for that situation. =)

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

[This message has been edited by Wolfpack (edited 01-18-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfpack:

My favorite bit of luck happened last night in a QB, and was due more to my own stupidity than anything else. =) Playing a QB defense, I sent my lone tank, a KT out toward a hill where I wanted to get a hull down to try and spot his armor. Unbeknownst to me, he had a couple of infantry squads in the woods by the hilltop. In the span of 1 turn, I got near the top of the hill, spotted the infantry, and had taken out 8 of the squad members. Now, instead of backing away from the infantry as I should have, I decided to keep going. Next turn, an AT team pops up and fires...luckily he missed. The 4 man squad also pops up and chunks a grenade. The grenade flies straight toward my tank, then proceedes to hit the front, fly backwards up into the air and perform an airburst over the squad which had thrown it. The rest of the squad was wiped out, along with the AT team. I think I watched that movie for 10 minutes, just laughing like crazy...wish they had a voice for that situation. =)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That probably wasn't their grenade, but

your own tank's nahverteidigungsvaffen or

however you spell it. It's a little grenade

launcher in German tanks which shoots up

little black squares once in a while and

does a number on infantry.

regards,

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

That probably wasn't their grenade, but

your own tank's nahverteidigungsvaffen or

however you spell it. It's a little grenade

launcher in German tanks which shoots up

little black squares once in a while and

does a number on infantry.

regards,

--Rett

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, watching it, it was definitely their own grenade, I had been tracking all the other grenades they had thrown (Especially the two that landed underneath my engine compartment <shudder>) and I am positive that it was their own. I should mention that it was a large slope, so most of their grenades were rolling back down to begin with, but that was the first one that actually hit...it felt like that scene from Spaceballs where Barf ripped those pipes off the wall and used the Spaceballs own fire against them. =)

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfpack:

Actually, watching it, it was definitely their own grenade, I had been tracking all the other grenades they had thrown (Especially the two that landed underneath my engine compartment <shudder>) and I am positive that it was their own. I should mention that it was a large slope, so most of their grenades were rolling back down to begin with, but that was the first one that actually hit...it felt like that scene from Spaceballs where Barf ripped those pipes off the wall and used the Spaceballs own fire against them. =)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case I'm impressed. This game sure does keep amazing us with all its cool details.

regards,

--Rett

I had a Hellcat (regular status) travelling as fast as it could over rough terrain. It caught sight of a Panther G over 500 meters away. Within 3 seconds, and without stopping, it had swiveled its turret and fired an AP round, hitting a weak spot. My opponent was none too happy about that.

[This message has been edited by Richlop (edited 01-18-2001).]