How many games do you know that have reached this level of perfection?

...within the first 6 months of their release?

When did version 1.0 first start shipping?

Late July 2000 no?

IT is now Jan and v1.12 is on the way

(yet another patch and another example of the BTS dedication and devotion to CMBO perfection)....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

1.12 fixes a slight problem with non-threatening targets so you will probably like that (should be released soon).

2. Surrender Option - this is not a bad idea, but units will surrender if and when they feel the need to. But until they are convinced they really do need to surrender, they rather not. This is realistic.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It disappoints me greatly that there is still a great deal of bitching and complaining about this great game.

I would like to ask all partcipants to step back for a minute and consider the meaning and intent of your posts.

Does your post promote Combat Mission?

Do you have something positive and constructive to say that will add to the game?

Have you identified a previously unknown flaw in the game?

Is your post fair, balanced and supported by rational logic or historically accurate documentary evidence?

If we are all "really" trying to support BTS and really trying to make CM and better game lets take a minute and step back think about how far this game (our passion) has come in the last 6 months and how close to absolute perfection it is now.

In case this thinly veiled reference was too thinly veiled for some here, I'm refering to all the "constructive critismm, and positive feedback" BTS has been getting lately regarding the minor, and really not exactly life threatening, changes that were made to the QB Combined Arms Points allocation table.

so from Stripes I leave you with the wisdom of Sgt. Hulka:

"LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS" ! smile.gif

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-23-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

...within the first 6 months of their release?

When did version 1.0 first start shipping?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what an evolution it's had. The Alpha Battle AAR to Reisburg and Last Defense with the untouchable hellcats to the Gold demo to the day of celebration and the game's release (which I was gone for frown.gif) to network play.

Check out these pics of Great Granddaddy CM. http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/015372.html

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Only one game and that was Master of Magic. That and CM are the penultimate computer games.

------------------

"The hands of the Clock of Doom have moved again. Only a few more swings of the pendulum, and, from Moscow to Chicago, atomic explosions will strike midnight for Western civilization."

-Eugene Rabinowitch

CMBO is the best game and the most exciting piece of software I have ever seen. Exceptional devotion from development group.

Therefore (not because it is bad) I intend to be involved in making future versions even better, constructively and professionally. But even if nothing in game logic was improved, I'd still buy CM2 (heck, you could have skinned double the price of CM1 from me smile.gif).

Oh, and regarding the comment of aka_tom_w about reporting known flaws, I think it would really help if someone made a list of known flaws. I mean, really. Searching the discussion board will not do any more, since there are just too many discussions.

Only one other game has reached this level of addictiveness - XCOM UFO Defense (the original)...

------------------

"Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat"

- Lt. General Renya Mutaguchi, Commanding General, Japanese Fifteenth Army, 1944-1945

I've owned two of the Steel Panther games and TOAW (hated it) but until CM, it was unlikely that I would read a 20 post thread on the Panther turret rotation from beginning to end. But I did.

One of the most special features of CM is the memorable and unique nature of the PBEM battles I've had. Nearly each one was thrillingly ungeneric, with its own share of unforgettable or hair-raising scenes. 'Immersive', besdies being a cliche, is inadequate as a description. I never had the impetus to play wargame PBEM before.

I've gathered from this forum that this is the schedule for future enhancements:

CM2:

More complex modelling of buildings and urban fighting

Enhanced C&C structure

CMII:

Dynamic LOS

Lighting effects

Dust effects

Multi-multiplayer

Smaller terrain units

Of these, I wish multi-multiplayer could be moved up to the CM2 time frame because it would revolutionize internet gaming. There would be nothing like it. Of course, BTS has enough on their plates as it is.

Great game, guys.

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Only one game and that was Master of Magic. That and CM are the penultimate computer games.

Ah, the memories... Was I the only one who always choose the topless voodoo chick as my character wink.gif I would dearly love to see a sequel, but now that Mattel has crushed Microprose under its corporate heel I doubt it.

Wesy:

Only one other game has reached this level of addictiveness - XCOM UFO Defense (the original)...

Truer words have never been spoken. I can't wait for the new "unofficial" sequel Freedom Ridge later this year.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

Scooleen is right on.

Before CM, I considered Myth the best game ever made for some 3 long years after its release. Sure there were flashier games, but Myth surpassed them in every aspect.

Now CM has toppled it and took the crown for best damn game ever released. Long live the King!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Total Annihilation (patched)

I still fire up a skirmish game of TA from time to time, mainly when I'm tired of the minimalist animations in CM and I want to see even the lowest of units explode in a fiery ball of flames (with extra screen shake added, thank you very much).

OK, it's not as 'strategic' as CM but each unit has it's strengths and weaknesses. Low level units are still useful in the later stages of the game. Combined arms tactics are more much effective than mass production of 1 kind of unit.

It's a classic that got pretty much everything right. Ergonomics (TA began the convention of holding Shift to assign multiple waypoints, since copied by pretty much every other RTS worth mentioning), addictive gameplay, cool graphics, just the "right" amount of clicking.... a high level of perfection indeed.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

There is a sequal to Masters of Magic in the works.

They are talking about making it *GAG* real-time!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we should point them to CM as the perfect meld of RTS thrills and TBS tactics.

I want to see my Darkelf warriors slowly trudging toward an enemy city undel a hail of arrows and magic missiles! All the while my tank-like giant worms slowly burrowing toward the unsuspecting enemy lines.

Drooool!!!!!!!!

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

Oh, BTW... my "perfect" list:

CM, X-Com, MoM, Red Barron, Age of Wonders, Myth, MoO2.

Joe

------------------

[This message has been edited by Polar (edited 01-23-2001).]

Originally posted by Polar:

There is a sequal to Masters of Magic in the works.

Where'd you hear this, Polar? I'd heard it started but Hasbro whacked the studio (Same time they cut support for Falcon 4.0).

------------------

"The hands of the Clock of Doom have moved again. Only a few more swings of the pendulum, and, from Moscow to Chicago, atomic explosions will strike midnight for Western civilization."

-Eugene Rabinowitch

Polar, is that Red Baron the original, or Red Baron 3D. I thought RB3D, once the 3D superpatch was released about the finest sim of its genre ever done.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Twister smile.gif

But only with the unofficial "Naked Vegetable Oil" patch.

Bi-Polar:

There is a sequal to Master of Magic in the works.

They are talking about making it *GAG* real-time!!!!!!!!!!

In the words of so many defeated wizards as they swirled toward the Void: NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

But WEGO MOM would be the hellhound's dangly bits.

And why has no one mentioned Civ I (final patch)?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 01-23-2001).]

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

-X-COM Ufo Enemy Unknown is still on my hard drive after the windows patch.

-Age of Wonders is still A1 in my books!

-Myth1&2 can still be fun.

-Civ2!

------------------

"'S muladach ma theid ar sgaoileadh..." -Duncan Ban Macintyre

Guest Wildman

Jager,

What windows patch for XCom. I've got the games (UFO and TFTD), but cant play them anymore. (They were on 3.5floppy). The PC just plays them too fast and Mo'Slo doesn't cut it for me.

---

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Where'd you hear this, Polar? I'd heard it started but Hasbro whacked the studio (Same time they cut support for Falcon 4.0).

Agh, sorry Elijah.. went back and check my notes. You are right, they killed it.

Damn them.

Of course, I haven't been able to forgive Hasbroprose since they shelved Guardians: Agents of Justice... X-Com engine, Superheroes, Champions RPG rules... how could they have screwed that up?!?!?!?

But it is MoO3 that is in production. The same company that is making MoO3 has stated that they would like to do MoM2... for what it is worth.

I'll wait 'til I see how they do MoO3 first.....

Joe

------------------

The onlg game to ever come close was the original Civilisation. For the record, my hat off to BTS, Battlefront and everyone who helped bring CMBO about. It is truly appreciated. Although I ofthe make suggestions (all helpful I hope!) my admiration for Charles, Steve, Madmatt et al. remains unswerving. Whats more is the respect the CMBO community recieves.

Thank you BTS

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Polar, is that Red Baron the original, or Red Baron 3D. I thought RB3D, once the 3D superpatch was released about the finest sim of its genre ever done.

The original... after the the fiasco with Red Baron II, I have been too gun shy to bebuy it.

I put Red Baron II second only to Descent to Undermountain as the worst gaming experience of all time.

Joe

------------------