Best grass/terrain mod for seeing elevation

I am really having trouble seeing the different terrain elevations in the game. Since it seems that much of winning depends on a large part to not getting shot and the best way I know is to keep from being seen I try very hard to stay low and use the lower elevations to move around. This however is very difficult since I am having a lot of problems distinguishing the elevations and was wondering what everybody thought was the best grass/terrain mod for this. Also, if anybody has any suggestions or comments on this subject I'd be grateful.

Old Dog's Subdude Velvet is nice. It's not too bright and looks very cool with all the other terrain out there. Higher and lower elevations are distinguishable as well. Give'er a try you just may like.

Mord

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mord:

Old Dog's Subdude Velvet is nice. It's not too bright and looks very cool with all the other terrain out there. Higher and lower elevations are distinguishable as well. Give'er a try you just may like.

Mord<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that recommendation

Without a doubt, IMO, Old Dog's grass. DD has a nice realistic snow set though does not show elevations as well as Gunslinger's. I would think Old Dog's should be available on his site or a e-mail to him. DD's should be on CMHQ. Gunslinger's is probably no longer available for dl.

Old Dog's subdued MOD of the original Velvet Grass by Richard Tremblett (WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU BTW?!) is the best by far when it comes to have both visibility AND realism.

It comes handy also when installing MODs.

Put Old Dog then ALL of DD minus the grass and you're set.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz 25th PzReg:

I prefer the grass made by "The Desert Fox". It looks damn good and you can see the elevation good as well.

I tried to enter his webpage, but its not available any more.

"The Desert Fox", where are you?

Heinz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

Shatter here

My vote is for the Desert Fox Hi-res grass as well. Matter a fact I just tried Old dogs subdued velvet, and it was a hard descision, but DF-Highres won out in the end.

I just thought Desert Fox Hi-Res grass, looks a little better with DD terrain.

Not to take away from Old Dogs subdued. It is definatly a very close second in my book.

Heinz 25th PzReg:

Thats strange I entered Desert Fox's site couple days ago, maybe 3 days ago.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Awww shucks!

Glad my recoloring of Tremblett's work is being used :D

The mod is available at CM Outpost, which although not active much anymore was still up as of last weekend. Checked this morning though and it was down. May just be a temporary thing, but if not I'll try to find an alternate host. I can't host it on Old Dog's CM Central as I have like zip-squat space left on the site, and Homestead really doesn't work very well as a D/L source site anyway.

- Old Dog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Pzldr, holy cripes,

what PZIV mod is that, it is absolutely dreamy!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been out of the loop awhile Capt? That's Fernando's PzIV, it's on this page on CMHQ.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Binkie:

Ack! We need to get Desert Fox's terrain hosted again! Can anyone upload it to a dedicated fan site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shatter here

If Madmatt,Manx or Tom give me the OK, I will send Desert Fox Hi-res grass of to one of them.

I would not want one of the best grass mods to go on the MIA list.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Folks,

This is the situation:

The bad news:

Geocities screwed up the complete "The DesertFox" site including my CM subsection "CombatAddiction" and the whole Pantherfibel, Nahverteidigungswaffe, Panther-Article etc...

And due to real life commitments I have absolutely zero time for restoring the site in the next months.

I am pretty pissed !!!

The good news:

Because I´m a cautious guy I have a backup of the whole site and all its content AND, perhaps more important, some time ago I uploaded all my CM-Mods to a mirror site at NBCI.

So you still can download my stuff from the links given below. I contacted Mensch, Matt and Manx and eventually my CM-MODS will find a new home on their sites. We will see.

Here are the URLs of the files at NBCI:

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/filename.zip

[Terrain MODs]

desertfox_lowres_grass.zip

dfhiresgrass.zip

dflowresgrid.zip

dfhiresgrid.zip

[Waffen SS MOD]

oak-summer.zip

[Kangaroo MOD]

ram_kangaroo.zip

[Pedro´s MOD]

JagdpanzerIVmod.zip

[Gordon´s MOD]

Ram_Kangaroo_DF_GM_hr.zip

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/desertfox/filename.zip

[TigerIE MODs - lores]

112.zip

221.zip

313.zip

314n.zip

TigerIE.zip

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/magua/filename.zip

[Maguas halftrack MODs]

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/magua/Hi-Res SdKfz_251 (camo paint V2.zip

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/magua/Lo-Res SdKfz 251_v2 (camo paint).zip

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/magua/Hi-Res SdKfz_251 (foliage V2.zip

http://members.nbci.com/thedesertfox1891/magua/Lo-Res SdKfz 251_v2 (foliage).zip

cheers

Helge

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: TheDesertFox ]

Ok, I thought I'd drop one more comment into this one...

After some reconsideration due to this thread, I now use two different terrain sets depending on the game at hand. I always use dd's trees and brush, however, they are simply the best.

For those classic, historical fights, or anything that's going to get REALLY bloody, I also go with DD's grass and tree bases. This is just gritty, war atmosphere stuff. The most subdued of the subdued, almost in sepia tone. Only note: woods bases are a bit too dark for some of the modded German infantry to be clearly seen against them.

Now I have a livelier, greener set to choose from as well, something with a nice springtime feel to it. It harkens back to the original CM graphics, though it's definitely refined and toned down suitably. It's Desert Fox's grass fitted with gunner goz's spring/summer treebases (NOT the fall set with the reds and browns - I batch copied and renamed so I would get the first set no matter what the scenario date). These are both extremely well crafted mods, and to gunner all I can say is, those bases are brilliant in their simplicity. Whadya use, the MS Paint spray can tool? ;)

Seriously, even if you choose another grass, give gg's bases a try if you want something nice and straightforward, that won't take the whole terrain set in its own direction.

Good luck to all.