Finding units quickly : a steal from Command and Conquer

I'm surprised no one has thought of this. Why not use the RTS convention of being able to give a group of units a Control + #, and reselecting them by hitting the number.

That wasn't very clear, I'd better use an example. Say like I wanna keep track of my mortar teams (which I am ALWAYS forgetting about). During setup (it's easiest then, because alike units are usually together on the board) I bandbox all my mortar guys and hit Ctrl + F1. Now, in the future, when I hit F1, this reselects all my mortar guys. Ahhhh, there they are!

Of course, the player will be able to organize his army the way he wants to like this, this is just an example. I'd like to make 'battle groups' myself, each group being platoon + MG team + mortar + zook + ...

Even one unit could be a 'group'. Great for keeping track of your artillery way behind the front lines.

Whaddya think? (takes shelter in fireproof bunker)

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: deanco ]

I suggested this back in August of last year. I thought it was a good idea as well. I did not get much response when I brought up the idea.

I am not as new as you guys think.

I changed names about 7 months ago.

Still a good idea I think.

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Greta idea Deanco. The only problem is, are you prepared to code it?

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... I was gonna say, if I knew how to code, I certainly would. But if I knew how to code, I would probably make my own game.

BTW, since when is intimate knowledge of the workings of something the prerequisite for making a simple suggestion? Sir?

I wish they did a similar thing for viewpoints. It would be nice if the player could move to one part of the map and store that view. Move to another part of the map and store another view. Then later on, during the game one could easily move to any of these stored viewpoints with one command. On many big maps this would save lots of time. And setting those views should be possible at any point, not just during the setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Greta idea Deanco. The only problem is, are you prepared to code it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am. :D

Right after they let me code a work-around for the damned Win2K nVidia bugs. /duck /run

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SlowMotion:

I wish they did a similar thing for viewpoints. It would be nice if the player could move to one part of the map and store that view. Move to another part of the map and store another view. Then later on, during the game one could easily move to any of these stored viewpoints with one command. On many big maps this would save lots of time. And setting those views should be possible at any point, not just during the setup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ctrl click helps out here a bit, but you are still right that "canning" some viewpoints would save time.

I like deanco's suggestion a great deal, and an IA who spends my entire day writing GUI specifications and building wireframes for software and websites, I'd like to agree with him that being able to write code or program is not a prerequisite for making smart recommendations for a user interface.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

I'm surprised no one has thought of this. [ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: deanco ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You shouldn't be surprised because I think everyone has already thought of it.

tongue.gif

Actually, when I first got the game last summer and was getting used to the controls, I tried selecting several squads and pressing CRTL-1 but was disapointed when it didn't work. I thought for sure this would have been coded since it was such a common feature of games where you need to control multiple units.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

You shouldn't be surprised because I think everyone has already thought of it.

tongue.gif

Actually, when I first got the game last summer and was getting used to the controls, I tried selecting several squads and pressing CRTL-1 but was disapointed when it didn't work. I thought for sure this would have been coded since it was such a common feature of games where you need to control multiple units.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I ain't surprised...I was waiting for someone to say, 'do a search' or put links to the 73 previous threads dealing with the subject.

Still waiting on Kannonier Reichmann to reply...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

Nah, I ain't surprised...I was waiting for someone to say, 'do a search' or put links to the 73 previous threads dealing with the subject.

Still waiting on Kannonier Reichmann to reply...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops, KR, now I see your edit...did you think I was coding CM2??