Fluffy New Updates at "Der Kessel"

yes FLUFFY!.. cuz thats how I feel after working 13 hour days..heh. Yes folks www.derkessel.com has all new updates!

whats new?

First ever third party HISTORICAL OPERATION by TheDesertFox, Halpenny Force, Operation Totalize Phase II. (beta version)

Two New Historical Battles from Yankee, Raffelsbrand and Vossenack.

Also new Design tips from Yankee for Guides to historical scenario-making

Comming Attractions for the first half of March to www.derkessel.com will be actual maps of areas in 1:10000, 1:25000 and 1:50000 for all those designers wanting detailed maps for their Battles or Ops. Also Allied leaf Cammo SP Guns from Mensch

Drop in and check out the Historical Operation, it is in beta test and is quite large (planet sized).

This Operation has to be considered "EXPERIMENTAL" and pushes the Combat Mission game system to its limits and goes beyond what Combat Mission was designed to. This operation was designed to test the possibility to recreate regimental sized battles using the Combat Mission system. You will experience considerable slowdown due to mapsize and amount of units encountered. A PC with at least 800Mhz DURON CPU is strongly recommended, or a G4 300Mhz with 87MB Memory given to the CM Game.

----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 02-21-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by mensch:

A PC with at least 800Mhz DURON CPU is strongly recommended, or a G4 300Mhz with 87MB Memory given to the CM Game.

That would be a G3 400, and it should also run on a G3 300, main thing is to give it lots of memory.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Thanks Andreas.. Oops.. I tested it with my G4 here at work and my 6500/300 Mhz mac at home..needless to say I can play the Operation on my mac at home, just have to wait 5 minutes for the computer to think and 12-18 minutes for the numbers to be crunched by the computer... UGH.. I need a new mac at home. biggrin.gif

The Times for my G4 were about 30 seconds for the computer to think its moves and then anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes for the computer to crunch the numbers to play the movie.

-------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

what does "der kessel" mean?

The Cauldron - but Kesselschlacht was also the term used for the large encirclement battles on the Eastern Front (you know, where the Finns fought the Russians...)

Name comes courtesy of Dick Reece.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Gee, you ppl give me a rush to add another 128MB to my G3 Prismo! It is far less expensive now, I know.

Griffin.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

That would be a G3 400, and it should also run on a G3 300, main thing is to give it lots of memory.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I'm really curious about speed tests.. I use both Macs and PCs at work and home. Would anyone want to set up one of the turns you were just mentioning and just before hitting GO save the game.. Post it on a web site and have different PC and Mac users open it and resolve the turn (hit GO). I'm really curious what times we would get back. I'm really curious about Duron, Athlon and PIII/IV machines... as well as G3 and G4s Macs.

Anyone interested in the test.. I'd host the file on my site if needed. I want it to be a real bear of a turn to resolve though.

karch

karch, I could do the tests for the two computers I have (G4 350Mhz at work, and a 6500/ 300Mhz PowerMac at home) I noticed on the first few turns not much happening as for number crunching but on the next few turns (I will not mention exact turns - due to maybe spoilers) but the crunching took some time the G4 seemed to handle it very well while my mac at home decided "ooh baby this is going to take some time" then again I forgot to up my memory for CM at home..hmmm I'll max out my memory for CM and see what it does.

---------------

mensch,

May be you need to allocate some more. I think I have given 96MB even my system is just a little 64MB pismo

Griffin.

In my mac at home I have 128MB RAM, and allocate 55MB to CM and at work I have 448MB RAM and alocate 80MB to CM. smile.gif

------------

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

How many physical RAM are there on your machines? How much memory are allocated? I an anixous to see the details.

256MB, at first the standard 47MB allocated to CM, which led to an immediate crash to desktop when the AI did placement calculations. I upped it to 90MB and it works like a breeze. Maybe I should give it 196MB - why? Because I can.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

yes FLUFFY!.. cuz thats how I feel after working 13 hour days..

When I saw "fluffy" I thought that I was going to see some of my mods on your site, yet I've seen none. You are on the verge of a copyright infringement lawsuit, sir.

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

"I'd rather the Bees than your Mask of Shame." - Stuka

The True Blue Aussie Slang Source

The Unofficial Vic Bitter Website

Jesus Dress Up!

The McNoldy Group

Sounds super.. Just got on your site for the first time a few weeks ago. Lots of good stuff...

Almost makes me forget about that one CMBO HQ site that was updated a few ages ago... hmmff - and i thought all the mods n updates were dead!

Thanks for a breath of fresh air, mensch!

Zaff'

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Zaffod:

Sounds super.. Just got on your site for the first time a few weeks ago. Lots of good stuff...

Almost makes me forget about that one CMBO HQ site that was updated a few ages ago... hmmff - and i thought all the mods n updates were dead!

Thanks for a breath of fresh air, mensch!

Zaff'

Heh Zaffod, you have a Heart of Gold.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Guest Napoleon1944

Played the entire Op in one day! I ran it on my Tbird 850 wich is overclocked to 930mhz. The only major slowdowns occur when the computer plots its movement, perhaps 3 min max. The last few turns of the game were fast forwarded since I reached the end of the map. At that point the computer AI won't counter-attack in force, so you just sit there.

I got a greater feel of reaism with the large maps and regimental level command. The detailed map is superb. There is one railway track height that needs corrected.

The Op broke down into 2 separate battles. Scouts and recon were important. I give the AI some credit as it found my forward OP with a patrol and laid smoke all around it! On the bad side, an enemy tank fired at the spotted single observer at 1200 meters!

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon