Combat Footage found!

I've recently found some old combat footage that shows 3 M8 HMC's & what looks like a Sherman 76 shooting it out with unspecified foes.

The quality is little grainy and the film has some damage, but the action shots are pretty good.

You can get the QuickTime clip here (2.7MB)

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> By the way, this ought to be proof that using cheap M8 Howies for scouting is historical. <hr></blockquote>

Hmmm....You got something going there...If I could "find" the right films I could prove all kinds of gamey, er I mean historical theories of mine...

Gyrene

How did you make this clip? A friend and I were thinking about trying to do the same for our film class. We've tried hooking his PC up to a VCR and recording but it only does black and white with no sound. That actually looked kind of cool because it looks historical, but I want to know how you got the jumpy frames and grainy faded look.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

How did you make this clip? A friend and I were thinking about trying to do the same for our film class. We've tried hooking his PC up to a VCR and recording but it only does black and white with no sound. That actually looked kind of cool because it looks historical, but I want to know how you got the jumpy frames and grainy faded look.<hr></blockquote>

Well I don't know about the effects (though various Adobe products probably factored in), but the actual recording was probably done with Snapz Pro (for those Mac users out there, Ambrosia SW). It's the only Mac product I know of that could record the gameplay like that.

Of course, I could be wildly wrong on what was used, but I feel pretty confident smile.gif

Chris

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>How did you make this clip? A friend and I were thinking about trying to do the same for our film class. We've tried hooking his PC up to a VCR and recording but it only does black and white with no sound. That actually looked kind of cool because it looks historical, but I want to know how you got the jumpy frames and grainy faded look. <hr></blockquote>

Cameroon is right, after a lot of trial and error I found the right settings to capture video with SnapzPro2, the source footage is of much higher quality than this small web clip and I'm able to capture fairly large battles at 20 fps.

The clips were spliced in Premiere and the tint , hit flashes & camera bob/focus were done in After Effects with native filters; the film grain/skip was done in AE with the Digieffects Film Damage filter.

I did all this on my Dual Processor G4-533 with 768Mb of RAM, with 600Mb allocated to After Effects & Premiere (VM on, one app at a time)

The final clip weighed in at over 120MB with the high settings I used in AE, so I put the clip through MediaCleaner and got it down to 2.7MB for the web.

I guess I'll give a try at putting a soundtrack in, I'll use iMovie2 just to try it out.

I was thinking of making a "Greatest Hits" CM video, so If anyone has any weird/cool CM movies send them over and I'll add them, maybe even make a new intro movie Mod. It's about the only Mod left. :D

I guess I should finish my train track mod first, though... :rolleyes:

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I was thinking of making a "Greatest Hits" CM video, so If anyone has any weird/cool CM movies send them over and I'll add them, maybe even make a new intro movie Mod. It's about the only Mod left. :D

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

LOL! Can't wait to see it!

Time for CMBB already!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I had to DL Quicktime to see it, but it was well worth it! <hr></blockquote>

As an added bonus you can now see CM's intro movie.

I'm thinking of making an entire mini movie, but the only problem is to keep it small enough to be able to host is and share it, 1000.mov, CM's intro movie, is almost 45MB.

I'll have to keep it much smaller than that. I need to find some suitable music also, I think "Surfing Bird" is right out. :D

The theme from Band of Brothers would be nice.

To those combat cameramen the right angle was worth more than their lives. ;)

Gyrene

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]</p>

Gyrene, as for sound track music, some of the bits of the old Victory at Sea tv show sound track would make for a thrilling background. You might also look into the symphonies of Dmitri Shostakovich, especially Symphony No. 5. After we get into CMBB, Symphony No. 7 would be an appropriate selection.

Michael

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Gyrene,

I did a few tries with Snapz Pro long time ago in my G4/400 320mb RAM, and didn't come close to what you get... What settings have you used? Have you tried in a Mac less capable, more like mine?<hr></blockquote>

Argie, your 400mhz G4 should have been plenty, as I've had some success capturing video with my 333mhz iMac also. The settings and some other tweaks are key, I'll post a quick tutorial soon.

I've uploaded an improved version of the film btw, the image is sharper and the scene the the first M8 getting hit was improved as it was bugging me.

Michael, thanks for the hints on the music, I guess I could go through some of those songs in the Military Music mp3 site and try to find something also.

Gyrene