Why does everyon love the jackson?

(semi-rant)

In the past 3 games I've played where the allied palyer bought his own force, there has always been at leats one Jackson in it. And this is understandable, since they have a big gun and quite frankly anything but a jumbo is going to go up in flames when a german gun hits it anyhow. (may be generalzing) it would seem that in the CM universe, the m10 and m18 were just little experimental things before the mass produced jackson...gaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!! I wanna see more wolverine son the battlefield! And better yet more SHERMANS! not 76 w+'s with HVSS or jumbos, but simple 75 toting shermans!!! baaah!!

Just play with Fionn's Rule of 76s if you want to restrict the tanks to nothing bigger than a panther/sherm 76. If you want to play with nothing bigger than a PzIV/sherm 75, use the Rule of Short-75s.

See http://www.rugged-defense.nl/cm/Fionn3.htm for the rules.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

If you're worried about your opponent showing up with some übertanks, then a Jackson in reserve is a pretty good idea. A couple of Hellcats might be an ok substitute. I often buy one of each. The Hellcat really rocks on a good sized battlefield with lots of places to duck in for temporary cover. Drive like a maniac and shoot everything you see. The M10 sucks-- it's got too slow of a turret for an unarmored TD. The German turretless TDs all have wicked good armor.

I almost always buy some pretty vanilla shermans--they're great against infantry, with three MGs and about 70-80 75 mm shells. Great for dismantling buildings. M8 HMCs are also great, given that shermans often don't live long enough to fire most of their shells. The M8 has about half as many, is really cheap, and is well protected against small arms fire. I even buy Stuarts-- the 37 mm gun is deceptive-- it's got a high ROF, about a zillion shells, and a very high muzzle velocity. If you can tease a Panther into turning a bit, you can toast it with a Stuart.

I rarely bother with the W versions of shermans-- in an operation you can recover them, but in a QB if it's dead it's dead, and it doesn't really matter if it burns or not. Speed and a fast turret is much more useful for US AFVs than a little more armor or wet stowage.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

If I could be sure that the enemy isn't going to come up with something 76mm-proof, I wouldn't bother with the Jackson.

A common minumum armour force combo for me is a Jackson, an M7 Priest, and a Stuart.

If I've more points, I'll upgrade the Priest to a 105mm Sherman.

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why anyone would buy Hellcats or other Allied TDs. I tried a couple here and there in pbem games with no luck - they all died before getting a kill.

But, recently i did a quick battle pbem where the AI bought, and I got 3 Hellcats. These guys have taken out 3 Stugs and a whole army of HTs. I now am wishing for more enemy armor as I only have AP ammo!

You play this game long enough, you will see it all.

Mike

AP not HE for the edit

[This message has been edited by MikeE (edited 02-11-2001).]

I will attest to the Hellcat. Never purchased the thing in the past preferring the sherm76. But the M-18 is wicked fast. I had an opponent drive into a clearing. My shreck team got 4 shots off and the PzIVH just barely started turning before the M-18 fired a shot and rumbled on. KO. It was an ugly thing. Since, I've been experimenting with the M-18 and it is great. Jaxons (blech).

Since, I've been experimenting with the M-18 and it is great. Jaxons (blech).

Too bad you didn't learn that lesson in time to prevent the forthcoming embarrassing and humiliating defeat to the superior guns and armor of my uber-tanks smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 02-12-2001).]

I use Jacksons to best advantage by pre-sighting a VETERAN M-36 (don't bother with regular or less) along a field of view that will not require much turret movement (say down a road or expected approach route). With any luck, the Jackson's first round will take out all but the thickest-hide opponent.

Originally posted by von Lucke:

Well, if every German player didn't load up on Panthers and Tigers, you'd probably get yr wish and see more vanilla Shermans.

Yup, it's a two-way street. If you use Stugs and PzIV's it doesn't really matter what the

other guy uses.

But the main problem is that the rarity isn't factored into the price.

Everybody™ just uses what's effewctive for the purpose, not what was really used.

But the Jackson isn't all that great against the real big ones. It doesn't have tungsten

while the plain M10 does. Jackson does shine against the Hetzers and such though.

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 02-12-2001).]

I am not really a big fan of it for 2 reasons:

1)It is an open top turret, therefore is is really open to any kind of mortar(provided a lucky shot).

2) Two words: Shot Trap.

I have lost a few of these guys to veteran German tankers because they hit the dam shot trap on the first shot. It takes them longer to get the shot off, but they kill it most of the time. I Found in a test I ran that Pz IV/70's and Stugs that are veteran will wait on average 2-3 more seconds to get the shot, where regular tank crew will shoot at first site, and miss most of the time. I tested this twice to find simular results in both tests. These were German tankers that were sitting still as a tank entered there line of sight. The only negitive that I found was that if they take too long to shoot it can kill them. In the two tests the stugs were the most likly to suffer from that (2 out of 6). I did not run the test on allied tank crews and I did not see if the above held true when the greman tanks moved into the veiw of a stationary Allied tanks.

Just my two cents biggrin.gif

Armornut

[This message has been edited by armornut (edited 02-12-2001).]

Guest Rex_Bellator

Personally I can't stand the albino plastic chimp-bothering freak or the rest of his scary family. The main reason I still play CM is that I still hope to see him moonwalk right into a 300mm Nebelwerfer barrage.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

Personally I can't stand the albino plastic chimp-bothering freak or the rest of his scary family. The main reason I still play CM is that I still hope to see him moonwalk right into a 300mm Nebelwerfer barrage.

Man, that is absolutely the most racist post that I've seen here yet. Isn't there a policy about that sort of thing -that we all agree to BEFORE we enter here?????

Aren't people supposed to be banned who exhibit that kind of behavior???? Hey BTS, MadMatt, or Kwazydog, please do not tolerate it.

Guest Rex_Bellator

LOL !!! Get a sense of humour! I was having a laugh at Mr Jackson, I never said a racist word & I've never been accused of anything like that in my life.

If you really want to 'go into one' try spending 10 mins on the Peng thread. I demand an apology Space Thing. Would you have posted if Mr Jackson was white? Ahem.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

Guest Space Thing

You'll get NO apology you sick b-------! You are the one that should apologize! Not to me, but to all African-Americans. There was humor there alright -a thinly veiled sick humor that should NEVER be tolerated. Maybe that'll get some chuckles at your KKK meeting but not here.

AND yes, I would do the same if it was reversed!

Guest Big Time Software

OK, time to lock this one up.

For the record, I see nothing racist in Rex's post, only a cheap shot at a celebrity of the same name. And I have seen FAR worse done to his image by the tabloids and countless comedians, TV shows, movies, and even a few music videos (Weird Al anybody?).

So... lets everybody just calm down and move on. Rex has stated that he meant no racial offense, and I for one believe him. Nothing more to see here.

Steve