CM2 fans VS. CM fans, it's comin!!!!

This happened over at Bungie. After people played Myth for such a long time, and made alot of mods etc... Myth II was created, and a split occurred. Some liked the original better than the second one. Most people liked the physics engine of the first game better than the sequel.

This brings me to my point. When CM2 is released, at first many will drop and play the game, but others will come back, and slowly two camps will form. I wonder, will there be two message boards, for each respective camp? It will be curious to see what happens.

They're going to use the same engine, so the disparity between the two won't be that great.

I think what you'll see, however, is that most of the long time grogs will gravitate toward the Eastern Front (CM2), while your less historically familiar gamers will prefer the Western Front.

------------------

Woot! - Maximus2k

Stick around while the clown who is sick does the trick of disaster.

The New CessPool

I'm pretty sure I'll be more inclined towards CM 3 and 4, but probably to CM 2 before that.

The reason being I like the earlier stuff better.

Just think about wiggling your small but heavily armoured Matilda, armed with a singled mighty MG and a top speed of about 4mph, up against those pesky Germs that can do nothing about it...

Cheers

Olle

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Just think about wiggling your small but heavily armoured Matilda, armed with a singled mighty MG and a top speed of about 4mph, up against those pesky Germs that can do nothing about it...

Until you hit the PAK Riegel with 8.8cm Flak 18...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

But then you're already way deep behind the German lines, and have probably fulfilled the mission. smile.gif

/Olle

If the mission was to get yourself killed and the tank strength of the BEF wasted in a single dashing ride, yes. biggrin.gif

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

As a fan of the Myth community, I know what youre talking about.

I dont think it will be this way for CM, though. The only people I can see NOT playing CM2 will be those few that are not comfortable about playing as "bad guy VS bad guy".

These are an extreme minority, however, so I dont forsee a large split any time soon, if ever.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Until you hit the PAK Riegel with 8.8cm Flak 18...
Don't you be bringing that kind of talk into the CessPool young man, we'll be washing your mouth out with soap ... if we can find some.

Joe

------------------

I HAVE LOST A BLOOD HAMSTER TO PETERNZ. MY SIG FILE IS

HIS. PLEASE TICKLE MY FANCY BY GOING TO DER KESSEL .IF

YOU GO HE MIGHT STOP BEATING ME AND USING MY POOR

INNOCENT BODY FOR HIS OWN DEVIOUS PLEASURES

I'll just play both, but yea I can see liking one game over the other and will hope there's not two forums. This one is really great and would hate to see some of the guys or gals leave to go to another one. I guess what I'll do however is just keep taking turns playing one and then the other. With the same game engine it shouldn't really make a lot of difference, just have to decide who you feel like playing today. But must admit I am dying to see CM2.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Don't you be bringing that kind of talk into the CessPool young man, we'll be washing your mouth out with soap ... if we can find some.

Joe

Joe me lad - I am not gonna take any lip from a guy who has a sig like yours...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

It would sort of depend which front appeals to you. I find the Eastern front to be far more interesting than the Western front. To me, there were more interesting battles and equipment. It was the greatest armed struggle in human history. I would much rather play with my Soviet hordes and the T-34s and IS-2s, etc than play the Yanks or Brits. However, CM and CM2 will compliment one another. Anything that expands the engine to other areas of conflict or even different wars can only be good thing. I just hope that BTS doesn't do what Atomic did which was basically to ignore fans requests and then give us nothing more than a slightly tweaked, rehashed engine and declare it as a "new" game (ex: they add offboard artillery and now its a new game). It almost seemed Atomic couldn't care less about fans'requests or would make clearly bogus statements why they wouldn't include this feature or that. No developer, of course, could or should listen to every little request but Atomic seemed to take flipping off the consumer to interesting heights that I have rarely seen. CC was good and I enjoyed playing it but after of couple of years of seeing pretty much the same game merely repackaged just ticked me off.

Well, I can easily see two forums developing, but if not, I don't think it'll be a big problem. Reason is that they are two distinctly different theaters. I doubt anyone will get confused about which theater is being discussed. And besides, if it's the same engine then any comments wrt CM2 will be applicable to CM1.

If there are two forums though, I will go to both and post in whichever one my comment/question applies (most likely CM2 since that is where I anticipate playing the most whenever it comes out).

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Blackthorne

I cannot believe that they won't have seperate forums. The activity of this forum alone is absolutely mind boggling. And the issues that CM 2 folks will want to discuss will no doubt be of only passing interest to the CM folks.

------------------

Blackthorne

Guest Michael emrys

I look forward to CM3 with both eagerness and trepidation. Eagerness because I am a nut on the Desert War. Trepidation because outside the games that GDW and GR/D did on the subject, I have been disappointed with what has been produced (although AH's Tobruk got my attention for a while).

Same thing applies to CM4 and the fall of France. Not too many tactical games have been set in that period. SPI did one back in '74 that used a variation on the Panzerblitz system IIRC that was kind of mediocre.

And of course I look with interest toward CM2. It was a huge battle and you can really see the evolution of armored vehicles and other weapons in it.

Michael

i hope that cm2 has more unit slots. cmbo does about 2 battalions with supporting units. i would like to be able to do 4 battalions ('brigades' in russian-speak?) of russians, defending against a german recon battalion in 1941....

then a couple of companies of panzers show up, IIIs with 50mm 'medium' guns... or maybe 38ts with 37mm...

then the lumbering kv shows up in the midst of 50 bt5s...

and stukas.... then maybe experimental russian rockets (leningrad front later in the year?)

are they going to have dog mines? =just kidding, just kidding=

su152s with smg squad passengers will be cool.

how about an action involving the 'elephant battalion' in the ukraine in '44?

andy