Were British Land Rovers used in WW2

Guest Rex_Bellator

Another no, IIRC the Brits were so impressed with the Jeep they decided to build their own version after the war.

------------------

"You wanna be starting something?" - Michael Jackson

As for the jeep thing, kind of, as far as I know. the first LR was Long wheelbase, I think, which means that is is more like a small truck than a Jeep.

I do remember seeing something about replacing Quad light artillery tractors with them

Hmmmm, no landrovers?

I'm no historian, but please correct me if (and when) I'm wrong, but wasn't there British Long Range Patrol units in the desert like the SAS? Didn't they do behind the lines kind of action on the DAK, using landrovers?

I'm basing this recollection entirely on some old model kits I remember seeing, with Brit Commandos on these "landrover" like trucks, all kitted out with extra jerrycans, bedrolls, MG's and stuff. Real awsome model. Was that *not* a landrover? And if not, what were they called?

Tanks

GPIG wrote:

"I'm no historian, but please correct me if (and when) I'm wrong, but wasn't there British Long Range Patrol units in the desert like the SAS? Didn't they do behind the lines kind of action on the DAK, using landrovers?"

You're doubtless referring to the "pink panther" LR's that belong for the most part to the SAS. They were strictly a post WW2 development and were mostly deployed in the '60's or later, especially in Aden. The WW2 LRDG used Ford and other trucks as well as jeeps.

Gpig,

You also maybe referring to the British LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) in N. Africa front. Although they used any vehicle they could get their hands on, even German or Italian ones, the vehicle they used most was the Chevrolet "van". The Land Rover as we know it is a post war project.

[This message has been edited by Tanaka (edited 02-15-2001).]

Originally posted by Tanaka:

Gpig,

You also maybe referring to the British LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) in N. Africa front. Although they used any vehicle they could get their hands on, even German or Italian ones, the vehicle they used most was the Chevrolet "van". The Land Rover as we know it is a post war project.

[This message has been edited by Tanaka (edited 02-15-2001).]

The SAS were driving mini vans in WW2? wink.gif

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

The SAS were driving mini vans in WW2? wink.gif

They were all pimped out, with a blacklight on the roof, metal flake paint jobs, and tinted windows. They were the origin for the British line of "Crusier" tanks. These minivans saw service until 1942, when they were outclassed by the German "Uberkartoffelmorsersportscar."

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Tanaka,

Arthur Swinson's THE RAIDERS: Desert Strike Force has on page 25 an unambiguously captioned illustration of an LRDG "Chevrolet 30-cwt truck." The book, part of the old Ballantine's Illustrated History of World War II, is Campaign Book No. 2. There are plenty of clear shots of LRDG and SAS trucks and jeeps there. It's quite clear the truck was never a panel truck (fully enclosed rear) but was a stake bed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler