Shermans: Too much AP by default?

I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that the Shermans are given too much AP by default.

From what I've heard it was an infantry support tank. W

hy does a default Sherman then get as many as 40+ AP rounds by default?

It would seem that 10-20 would be more realistic.

Andy

Amen to that. I always play the Americans ( Good guys) cause I are one, and am starting to think that I might as well just buy jeeps or something for all the good those light weight's do. I don't know how the hell we won with those tanks. Bet they weren't the reason. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

I don't know how the hell we won with those tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mainly we won because they only occasionally ran into German tanks, which weren't around much because (a) the Germans didn't make many; (B) they got bombed while on railway flat cars; © they either broke down or ran out of gas on the way to the battlefield; or (d) Hitler sent them to the Eastern Front where the Soviets where busily overrunning everything in sight. Under those conditions, it was fairly easy for the Shermans to operate as long as they kept an eye out for AT guns (which, I have been informed, killed more Allied tanks than German tanks did).

Michael

The Germans screwed themselves, really, though the other points brought up are good ones, too. They didn't mobilize to a war economy til late in the war.

Hell, they didn't call it a war "krieg" but called it "a time of emergency" or something like that, until Goebbels asked the German people if they wanted a Total War in 1944 (?).

Declaring war on the US, invading Russia...

...really, they were finished once they invaded Poland.

But the Sherman did help; the Allies won with numbers, and Brute Force as John Ellis says in his book by that name.

A little divine help may have made itself felt, too.

Gott Mit Uns?

Well I'd pay an extra 5% per tank if I could pick it's exact ammo load out. Hate it when I buy an M8 HMC and get 8 smoke and no © rounds. Or a Sherman 75mm with 40 AP, 9 smoke and fug all HE :mad:

Obviously you couldn't choose (T) rounds... Some, if any, of your AP rounds would randomly be converted to (T).

I haven't been playing that long but don't think I've ever come close to running out of either AP or HE with a Sherman. Whatever the balance, you usually get so much of both you can't use it all.

Shermans can survive on the CM battlefield, but you've gotta be pretty cagey (and luck helps, too).--I just won a defensive scenario as Allies (against the AI, admittedly) in which two green Sherm76s beat 3 regular or veteran Panthers and 2 StugIIIs, destroying all the German AFVs, w/o loss to themselves--so it can be done, but as I said, requires cagey tactics, plus luck, 'cause if you don't kill 'em with your first of second shot, you're probably dead.