M-10 TD (very)high-res MOD, Bastogne 1944/45

Hello everybody, these days I tried to work on the M-10 Tank destroyer, always using the same precious source as I did with the Panther A.

This tank was used near Bastogne, winter '44/early '45.

The work is almost done (I still have to eliminate something wrong).

Probably it will be uploaded on Manx's site soon.

Here are some pictures:

HQ26647.jpg

Zz10453.jpg

Hy16598.jpg

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: audace ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

why do they call their tank

TIRIPS

ATNALTA FO

???

:-p<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'caus they are "Good Ole Boys" from the south and the name is the Spirit of Atlanta.

:D

-tom w

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

WOW! Now that's Outstanding. I love the color and the little confederate flag - Cool! The detail is outstanding. Being from Texas myself I'm just very pleased with this one. Outstanding is the only word that comes to mind. Please do let us know when this is ready. Man, good job!!!! :D:D;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Nice, but how long will the Confederate battle flag be legal? It is being treated as a swastika by some in the US now.

(Tongue in cheek, but I'd thought that I let some Euros know that even US Democracy is subjected to threats).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello, Mom!

Audace, I take it you also have a copy of

TANKS OF WORLD WAR TWO by Chris Ellis. First published 1981 by Octopus Books Ltd.

At any rate, after I saw your first mod, I tried to adapt the artwork in the book to a mod of my own and found it worked out quite well. I like the results you were able to achieve.

I believe the artwork for the M10 (pp 54-55)is credited to Pino dell'Orco - Nocola Pignato.

Well done!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

At any rate, after I saw your first mod, I tried to adapt the artwork in the book to a mod of my own and found it worked out quite well. I like the results you were able to achieve.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So where's the mod? Don't leave us wondering. smile.gif

Sorry, Gustav, nothing to report. I adapted the running gear of the Sherman to my own Canadian hybrid hi-lo res mod that is available at my website, but I never bothered to put this additional artwork on the site. Still wasn't happy with it, and realizing that Marco is still going to release an updated plain Commonwealth Sherman hi-res set, I realized it wasn't worth my time to clean it up to put on the site, since his work will eclipse what I was able to do.

The artwork in the book is great, though, and there are some good Russian ones. The beauty of this book is that the artwork is done from all five views - left, right, front, back, and top - and perpendicularly. Most of the illustrations are simply drawings from one side only, but each vehicle gets one deluxe treatment with oil paintings from all five views. I'm also not comfortable releasing mods taken from scans from this book as my own, but it appears Audace has made some modifications to the paintings. I also note the models in CM are not exactly proportional to the oil paintings in this book, or at least that was the case with the Sherman. It looks like Audace has added a lot of details too, ie the shading behind the lifting ring on the turret is not visible in the book, etc., so this is not a simple pirating job on his part.

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!

M Hofbauer: I know, very probably I'll eliminate the words on the side. Maybe they could be put in the front plate.

I don't know about the confederate flag: should I remove it or not?

Is it real illegal?

Maximus: Yes I think that the hull is the same, so the turret bmps can be adapted to them.

Michael Dorosh: Yes I think it's the same book! I have the italian "version" of it and it's called: "Storia dei mezzi Corazzati - I primi anni di guerra 1940-1943" (History of the AFVs - The first years of war, '40/'43)

The authors are the same.

The book is very good, and has some very interesting pictures of WW2 tanks, and yes the T34 and the T70 are exceptional! Maybe I'll use them in CM2 smile.gif

I really didn't do anything special, I tried to change shadows and little details, the rest is the same.

I'll finish the MOD today and will send it to Manx tonight.

Keep the Confederate flag. It is not illegal, it is just controversial with certain ethnic group and its supporters. South Carolina was under a black boycott last year until it was removed from the capitol dome, and Georgia is under intense political pressure as it is part of the State Flag. Many southern towns and cities have Confederate memorials, and some of them are under pressure by the "revisionists".

I think Virginia had to drop its State song, and Lee-Jackson day was replaced with Martin Luther King Day.

Controversy, not law. Actually, making it illegal would not fly due to the First Amendment, but economic and PC pressure will get some success.

Again, nice mod.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by audace:

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!

M Hofbauer: I know, very probably I'll eliminate the words on the side. Maybe they could be put in the front plate.

I don't know about the confederate flag: should I remove it or not?

Is it real illegal?

Maximus: Yes I think that the hull is the same, so the turret bmps can be adapted to them.

Michael Dorosh: Yes I think it's the same book! I have the italian "version" of it and it's called: "Storia dei mezzi Corazzati - I primi anni di guerra 1940-1943" (History of the AFVs - The first years of war, '40/'43)

The authors are the same.

The book is very good, and has some very interesting pictures of WW2 tanks, and yes the T34 and the T70 are exceptional! Maybe I'll use them in CM2 smile.gif

I really didn't do anything special, I tried to change shadows and little details, the rest is the same.

I'll finish the MOD today and will send it to Manx tonight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

Please keep the Rebel Cross, it could, realistically, be considered historically accurate.

I can't wait to download that Mod

and I want a copy of that GREAT book about tanks in WW II

Thanks again!

-tom w

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Great mod Audace, when I first saw it I was thinking it was one from the Italian front.

:cool:

-Tiger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thanks to all the original artists who put in the hard work to create these things from scratch!

-M. Dorosh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

South Carolina was under a black boycott last year until it was removed from the capitol dome, and Georgia is under intense political pressure as it is part of the State Flag. Many southern towns and cities have Confederate memorials, and some of them are under pressure by the "revisionists".

I think Virginia had to drop its State song, and Lee-Jackson day was replaced with Martin Luther King Day.

Controversy, not law. Actually, making it illegal would not fly due to the First Amendment, but economic and PC pressure will get some success.

Again, nice mod.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

F**k 'em, the Rebel flag looks cool!

I quite feel guilty for having created a mod by a picture now... smile.gif

By the way, I'll contact Manx and see if he wants to add it to his site.

I just deleted the side numbers and words, and the turret should be more good now.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: audace ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by audace:

I quite feel guilty for having created a mod by a picture now... smile.gif

By the way, I'll contact Manx and see if he wants to add it to his site.

I just deleted the side numbers and words, and the turret should be more good now.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: audace ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wil you move them to the front, then? IMHO you really should have them somewhere, they fit in with the rebel flag.