Story books

OK, I have read The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far and Overlord. Plus a few others like Finest Hour and The Recollections of Rifleman Bowlby, but I'm looking for more good ones.

I'm thinking of getting Band of Brothers next, but can anyone suggest any others? I have more of a leaning toward British battles, but as long as they are descriptive and accurate, I don't mind.

Cheers,

Steve

Guest KwazyDog

I recently finished a book called 'Too Young to be a Hero', which I found very interesting.

Its a true story, and describe a young boy growing up in Nazi Germany and being brainwahed by the Hitler Youth (he used to threaten his mother that he would tell them she was a Nazi!).

Of course he cant wait to join the army and does as soon as he is old enough. His first major battle...Stalingrad. He soon learns how braing washed he truely was.

Good book, I read it in about 4 days, hehe.

Dan

For a really interesting read, pick up all 3 volumes of the Peng Thread. It's got action, dialogue, conflict, drama, Cesspoolnarock (twice), and wonderful characters. I can think of nothing better.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just finishing "Company Commander" by Charles MacDonald covering the Bulge to the end. Excellent first person writing. Interesting and informative about tactics too.

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

'Tank' by Ken Tout - described as the best first person account of tank warfare - set in Normandy, Tout was a British Sherman loader and tank commnander.

'Six armies in Normandy' by Jonh Keegan - covers the Normandy cam[aign after D-Day.

'Stalingrad' by Anthony Beevor contains a lot of eye witness accounts from both Germans and Russians. 'Crete' by the same author is also very good.

Apart from the aforementioned Forgotten Soldier, which is excellent.

I would also recommend Flesh Wounds by David Holbrook. It's another autobiographical account of a British Tank officers experience in the post D-Day battlefields - pretty grim!

[This message has been edited by DVN-UK (edited 12-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DVN-UK (edited 12-07-2000).]

Each of these books is a MUST . Read even one of them and playing CM will be a new experience .

You may visit Amazon.com in the Books section and use the search engine to find reviews about each of these books .

1) Citizen Soldiers : The U.S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany, June 7, 1944 to May 7, 1945

by Stephen E. Ambrose

2) Forgotten Soldier : The Classic WWII Autobiography (Brassey's Commemorative Series WWII)

by Guy Sajer

3)Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

by Stephen E. Ambrose

4) BEYOND THE BEACHHEAD: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy

by Joseph Balkoski, Stephen E. Ambrose

5) Six Armies in Normandy : From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris

by John Keegan

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 12-07-2000).]

Overlord by Max Hastings is a decent work;

well balanced,intresting narratives,properly

noted, with good maps. I ve read it 4 or 5 times. Had it since 84,when it came out.

Also, check out "Russia at War", by Alexander

Werth. One of the few Western correspondents who spent time in Russia during the war; his view of the Soviet Army in 41 is very intresting. Ok maps and very comprehensive-

1000 plus pages.

Also of note; "Russo-German War"-Albert Seaton, (comprehensive but a little dry),

and "On to Berlin"- James Gavin(he eventually

commanded 82nd Airborne-has some intresting

stories on the German Offensive in December 44.

Hope this helps

Guest Andrew Hedges

You may not be able to get this where you are, but the American Official Histories are very interesting and have a lot of detail on small unit actions. They are called something like, "The US Army in WWII," and are published by, not surprisingly, the US Dept. of the Army. There are numerous thick books, on things like "The Battle of the Bulge," "The Siegfried Line Campaign," etc.

These are not dry the way you might imagine official histories to be; they are generally very interesting, in part because they were edited by the same Charles Macdonald who wrote company commander and a time for trumpets.

You may want to avoid the volumes dealing strictly with logistics, rearming the french, the signal corps, etc. (although I don't know, having not read those), but the "battle" volumes are very good.

Guest AussieJeff

Ok........we may not be 100% "British" but many of us have British origins and we sure did fight a hell of a lot of tough battles side by side with our "Pommy" mates!!!

For an excellent account into the life of one of the greatest Aussie battalions in WW2 try (if you can get it) "A HISTORY OF THE 2/17TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION 1940-1945". Approx. 500 pages (maps-photos et all)covering from North Africa to New Guinea.

Published by the 2/17th Battalion History Committee, 103 Condomine St, Balgowlah, NSW, 2093.

Printed by Macarthur Press, Parramatta.

Cheers smile.gif,

AussieJeff