OT:RAAF missile annihilates car in Darwin

This one made me chuckle as if they tried they probably wouldn't have succeeded.

"Darwin police say a dummy missile has fallen off a Royal Australian Air Force jet, crushing a car in a Darwin suburb. The jet was involved in the Pitch Black joint military exercises between Australian, Singaporean and British troops. The missile landed on a four-wheel-drive parked in a panel beaters in the industrial suburb of Berrima, destroying the front of the vehicle and damaging two others. No-one was injured in the incident. A police spokesman says it was a "captive missile", not explosive but instead carrying recording equipment. He says the RAAF has been to the scene to remove the missile."

Guest Mirage2k

LOL. I hope the owner of the car got some sort of insurance compensation...is there a policy for that kind of thing?

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest Mirage2k

Hmm...The wanna-be conspiracy theorist in me just thought of something. How do we know that missile falling off was an accident, hmm? I mean, say you wanted to take out some guy without causing a ruckus. How would you do it? Just stage a major international exercise and have one of your planes "accidentally" jettison its load onto the poor sap's car. Interesting. And perhaps they contacted State Farm beforehand. It's all falling into place... wink.gif

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

Uhh, What's a "panel beater?" Some sort of australian S&M person who dominates boards?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A person that fixes dented cars so named because in the old days they used to beat the dented panel back into shape, now days they simply replace them.

I can't wait to see what Peng makes of Ash's smiley smile.gif

Well I remember when, in 1996, the Canadian Navy scored a direct hit on a civilian garage near Vancouver (BC). I was in Vancouver then, visiting EA Sports, and it happened that, during a training exercise, a dummy SSM fired by a Canadian frigate went ballistic, and hit a garage near the waterfront. The images on television showed the crumbled building with the missile end protuding from it, like in a cartoon. Next day the newspapers were full of headlines like "Civilian Garage destroyed by friendly fire!" and such. Very funny! smile.gif

I got a smile from the report in the paper.

It went something like:

I was just having a Barbeque, when this missile dropped on my ute destroying it utterly. I rang the police and airforce then went back and had my sausage sandwich. They rang back and said 'Yeah, thats one of ours'.

Sounds like it wasn't too annoying as it didn't cause him to burn his snags :)

Bruce

This is quoted from our local papers....

Spot the laconic Aussie biggrin.gif

"Tony Travers was preparing to cook his dinner at Datto's panel beaters in Berrima when the missile fell just 10 metres away from him, crushing the LandCruiser ute.

"It was like a huge thunderclap," Mr Travers told ABC radio. "I rang the police and the RAAF and that, and then made my sausage sanger.

"Then I went outside and had a look around and they eventually rang back and said they had lost a missile.

"I've gone and had a closer inspection and found half of it."

He said the LandCruiser, belonging to landlord Basil Roe, was "absolutely, totally decimated".

"It was being restored but it's a bit past that stage now," he added.

"I've never seen nothing like it in my life mate," Mr Roe told Sky News describing the remains of his car.

"I've seen cars in accidents and that but that's a pretty good front-ender.

"The whole engine and everything is just blown to pieces."

A sanger is a sandwich and a ute is a truck..

Reg's

Fen