Interesting Aspect about The Movie

Hey, did notice that the whole movie was shot from a "First Person Shooter" perspective?

Do you think that will widen the target audience?

I mean, the goal of this game is not to optimize close-up picture quality, yet this is what is presented in the movie, almost exclusively! This does, of course, not distract from the fact that some of the effects and scenes are better than even 1st person shooters (I want to mention the tiger gun barrel recoil, which is realistic down to the split-second in timing, the inertia of the struck Jagdpanther, the intense blast effects, ...), but maybe some overhead view with whole formations moving and more stuff going on would have been nice, too, and the strategy character of the game would have been emphasized.

I wonder what BTS intentions were, when they concentrated on "zooming in" ... a maybe risky approach if people start to compare the game to "Team Fortress" or similar FPSs!

Not that I think it will decrease the sales figures ... but still ...

Thomm,

When making a movie for the game for "dramatic effect" (remember this IS the intro movie) you want to show "cool stuff".

Watching a perfectly formed wedge of Shermans from overhead views ONLY gives grognards woodies. No-one else even cares wink.gif. So BTS showed off some of the "cool stuff". Lots of explosions, fire, tanks almost ramming the camera etc..

I think it makes quite a nice impact actually wink.gif

Sorry Fionn, but I do have to agree with Thomm a bit here. Detail is all very fine, but when I play the demo I don't usually view turns in the closest view-mode available. Don't get me wrong. The intro still kicks, and I'm not looking for a formation of tanks, but, and you can't deny this, the scenery, oh, the scenery would also be great. trees and fog, and fog of war, of course. Imagine the fogged landscape, at, say, viewmode 3 or 4, zoom and pan, and suddenly, out of the fog emerges a big brute of a Tiger II. Maybe it's nighttime, even, a steady drizzle coming down. AT guns opening up, muzzle flahes and tracers everywhere.

It seems I strayed a bit from my original point, but you smell what i'm cookin', right? wink.gif

------------------

Juju

Totally O/T...

I noticed a new Sherman Model in the Movie!!!

Was that the Jumbo model?(turret looked like

a jumbo...)

How many Sh. models are in the Final?

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

Guest PeterNZ

Yeah, i loved the movie too. Myself, i loved the little jeep, it was so KEWT!

And i want to make them too.. pity i have a PC frown.gif

PeterNZ

Check out: Late May Release!!! for a list of the vehics/equip on the movie

The only word on the board by Steve about number of Shermans has been "Shermans of all types" Possibly because listing all of them would take too much space, or not all of the textures were done yet, etc.

I see things written in books about how the Germans were resourceful in upgrading tanks and reusing old tank chassis, but the Sherman was a mighty customizable vehicle what with almost 50,000 built.

I couldn't even begin to list all the Sherman variations(cuz I don't know them all) but I shudder to think how long the list would be.

Gun changes, armor changes, different engines, field mods, multiple uses for the chassis...

Apparently Hunnicut's Sherman book will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Sherman. It costs about $70 which is why I haven't gotten it yet.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 03-29-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Thomm... it is an intro movie, not a grognard promo piece. When we made it the only people that were meant to see it were those who already had the CD in their drive. But we thought you all might like to see it now rather than later. We could of course *NOT* released it smile.gif

Also, limitations of the video quality mean that down low and in close shows up better.

Oh, and judging from the grognard reaction to the movie... I don't get your point. Everybody loves it from what we can tell, yet the whole thing is from the 1st Person perspective. So where could the possible harm come from? From Quake people taking an interest in it? smile.gif I think not.

Steve

Guest KwazyDog

Actually Im pretty sure its the Sherman with the 76mm, though Id have to check. Im pretty sure there are no Chaffee's in the movie, its a pretty distinctive model.

Anyone who would have bothered to dowload the 10MB movie would very well know what the heck they are looking at. I wouldn't waste my time downloading such a big thing without any knowledge of what the game is about. Anyway, even if it does turn some people on to the game who wouldn't normally look at it, so what? If someone did actually just dowload the movie for the heck of it, then their interest might have peaked. Then they will further look into the game, and either not like it because it is a strategy game, or, the might discover something really cool.

I see no problem in the game. Wide screen shots would have done nothing to further indicate what type of game this is. It might have been cool though, to see a big wave of troops moving along a field, or a bunch of tanks moving all at once towards different objectives. But, it really doesn't matter. The movie has been released, and it is one of the best preview movies I have ever seen. It even beats out many previews for actual movies!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But we thought you all might like to see it now rather than later. We could of course *NOT* released it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahem, as your lawyer wink.gif I advise you to suppress this intro movie immediately. In the wrong hands, I fear it will cause untold grief and mayhem among the unsuspecting gaming community....hmm, furthermore, as a precaution I advise you to remember to ship the pre-orders alphabetically rolleyes.gif

Ron

PS Just in case it wasn't clear, I felt the movie was excellent smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 03-29-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Tank in the first shot? Sherman (76) with the HVSS suspension system. Chafee is a small bugger that has a totally different look.

Steve

The thing that most struck me about the "movie" was near the end: When the Brit flamethrower team lets loose on the block-house. Anybody else notice how the heads of the troopers in the foreground all turn to follow the stream of napalm as it arcs onto the bunker? Verrryyy cool!

Mega-Kudos! The movie was great (even the agonizing download time of a couple of minutes via ADSL biggrin.gif ). So many stars, so little time, but to me the neat shot was the jeep flying (literally) over the hill alongside the Shermans. WAY cool. smile.gif

Steve C.