Suggestions for Patch v1.02

I just looked at the list of "features" in the v1.01 patch, and boy am I impressed! This is taking the phrase "customer support" to a whole new level. So my first question is: Are you really doing all this for us, your benevolent customers; or is the social life in Maine as limited as I picture it... ...something about moose, caribou and bears?

My second observation is that considering the additions in v1.01, I have a couple suggestions for v1.02:

1. As exciting as the game is, and the absolutely perfect reproduction of the German forces, my copy of the demo seems to have a glitch in its representation of the opposing forces. The vehicle and uniform colors are way off and they have cryptic names I don't understand: Sherman, Hellcat, U.S. squad. Where are the T-34, KV1, and NKVD squad? I'm sure it's a small thing, but I would really appreciate it if you could correct this.

2. Where are the cheering civilians? When my units roll into a newly liberated town why aren't the local thinly-clad nubile nymphs rushing forward to greet me with flowers and bottles of wine, followed by a few exciting minutes of wonderful graphics and music on my computer screen?

3. I want my war souvenirs! Why can't I gather digital flags, weapons, money, uniforms parts and other paraphernalia that I trade in for a real prize from the lads at BTS?

4. What about the amphibious vehicles? Can I take my Schwimmwagen and ford the nearest river, or enjoy a cruise along it? Screw the rafts! Let's hit the water moving!

5. In the Operations can I get over on the bad guy, ehh... opposition, in PBEM through the convenience of discovered intelligence. In other words, if he is foolish enough to wrap his orders around his cigars and then lose them, can I find them? Sorry wrong war, but you get the idea - can we beat him to a pulp with his own stupidity, ehh... indiscretion?

6. If item 4, amphibious movement, is allowed, then we should be able to fire on the move with them. Perhaps not very effectively, but like the DD Shermans at Normandy, they could possibly be effective if they stay afloat.

7. Where are the wine cellars and breweries? Why can't my troops - or theirs - stumble in and go stinko in grand style? Time certainly isn't a factor, as from past experience, I can testify one can reach that state quickly when properly motivated - like the CO is going to confiscate all booze!

8. If item 6, amphibious firing tanks are allowed, what about the numerous river gunboats employed on some fronts? Their firepower can be decisive.

9. What about the "Old Grumbler" factor. In most armies, there's always someone complaining about everything: the march is too long, the rifle's too heavy, the 1st Sgt 's too mean, etc. How about a filter that shows the game from that point of view - all enemies look closer and their tanks look bigger, our squads move slower and the bullets bounce off everything, including Kubelwagens. Conversely, there could also be the the "Sgt Block, ehh.... Rock", factor. That is, I, with my lone rifle squad, am gonna Kick Butt against the entire 1st SS Panzer Division at this time - and let's get to it!

10. If item 8, gunboats are available, I think a few small changes are probably in order. Since, the tank weapons they carry fire at a rather rapid rate, you might want to reduce the fire rate, range and damage factors to compensate for their being water-borne. You might also cut back on the armor values for them since they don't carry armor as heavy as the tanks.

11. Dammit, where are the animals! I want herds of cattle, sheep, goats, with flocks of chickens running every which way. The ones the troops can't eat should be a distraction. Where are the firendly and unfriendly dogs that reveal my hidden troops at the wrong time? I won't talk about what we do with the cats...

12. If item 10, reduced factors are applicable a few tweaks should make it really good. I'd like to recommend narrowing the focus in some scenarios and operations a little bit. Since there was limited interaction between most ground troops and the boats, only the ones on the shoreline really being able to bring fire to bear, perhaps combat between opposing boats could be the point of the action. Properly applied, such engagments could include several on each side - but initally might be limited to one on each side. Naval uniform colors might vary a bit but I could give a suggestion for the first scenario - blue uniforms for the first crew and gray uniforms for the second crew. I'd like to call the scenario "The Monitor and the Merrimac."

Well thanks for listening to one of your customers. My apologies if I'm just being redundant with fixes already identified by other people. I'm sure that, with your proven track record, these are all pretty minor fixes for you guys and I can hardly wait.

Once these are taken care of, I have several other ideas concerning changes in uniform colors and positioning squads in groups, known as Lines and Columns, to fire at each other.

Just let me know when you need the info!

Regards

biggrin.gif

My (German) opponent in a game of VoT kept complaining that his men *were* getting into the wine cellars, as they hardly returned fire at all. I never thought much of it at the time, but maybe this is one of the features that BTS was going to surprise us with when the full game is shipped.

Craig (thinking too much again)

[This message has been edited by Harv (edited 06-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What about pointed sticks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, what about being attacked by a man wielding a pointED stick? We've spent 3 weeks so far on what to do when attacked by a man wielding fresh fruit! It was 4 days on cherries alone!

DjB

Rob1, chill dude, it was funny and until the game hits our doorstep we've covered just about everything that can be covered.

And Marty, the correct designation for #12 should be "The Monitor and the Virginia" ... just thought I'd get THAT little controversy stirred up again smile.gif

Joe

------------------

"I don't want them brave, I want them dead!"

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

MUST FIGHT URGE TO QUOTE PYTHON... MUST RESIST...AAARGH!!!!

I know you're there -- lurking under the floorboards with your damsons and your prunes...now, the rest of you -- I know you're hiding behind the wall bars with your quinces. Well I'm ready for you. I've wired myself up to two hundred tons of gelignite and if any of you so much as tries anything we'll all go up together. I've warned you...I warned you, right! That's it.

Big explosion

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

I'm sorry, but I am cancelling my preorder if Steve and Charles do not include resource gathering and barracks-building. I am quite certain my men have nothing better to do than garnish berry-bushes, and several of them have been eyeing the local sheep. Finally, what realistic WWII game is complete without the ability to generate troops spontaneously from your base? (From dust ye came, to dust ye shall return)

Jonathan

------------------

You said wet shirt no break, not piss-shirt bend bars!

------------------------

Joe Shaw said:

the correct designation for #12 should be "The Monitor and the Virginia" ... just thought I'd get THAT little controversy stirred up again

-------------------------

I've found that most people who point this out were raised on history books that discuss the past great events as "The War for Southern Independence", whereas those who follow M&M were raised on "The Civil War." smile.gif

Personally, I can go with either, or even "the Monitor and the Virginnymac", or maybe even "The Monitor and the Merrinia". What the heck - when you build the topsides of one ship on the hull of another all bets are off!

Hey, whatever floats your boat, ehhh... ironclad.

biggrin.gif

Now for real,

those barking dogs or maybe a flight of birds coming out of a wood where a pack of soldiers try to flank you would be real cool smile.gif

What about some partisans ? They don't really make the day, but gives you somthing to think of when your prepared defense has a beaten up squad cause three french partisans gave them some bullets.

And for the Souvenirs ? Why not ? Not just a silly Death & VictoryPoints diagram but some medals & the piece of a Tiger II you just torched smile.gif

murx

Guest Germanboy

Row row row the ironclad, gently down the stream, Merrimac Merrimac Merrimac, poor Virginia sunk unseen.

Picture Jeremy Hardy singing this in the 'One Song to the Tune of Another' contest in 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' on Radio 4.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)