Color WWII Documentary on History Channel

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It's on this Sunday on the US History Channel at 8pm Eastern time. It sounds as though all of the footage will be in color. Could be interesting...

------------------

"The real groundbreaker of CM isn't the 3D modeling, it's the 'holy crap! what the heck was THAT' factor." - Dalem

Guest barrold713

Thanks for the notice. I think I have seen portions of this series and can recommend them as worthy of taking time away from CM to watch. The color film really adds a fresh perspective and for me it brings a closer appreciation of the history as real events involving real people.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It's on this Sunday on the US History Channel at 8pm Eastern time. It sounds as though all of the footage will be in color. Could be interesting...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good looking out, Mannheim!

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Freak:

I think you mean "will the real freak please stand up! please stand up! please stand up!" smile.gif

Hey Freak good one

Although I don't think to many others

will get it as most are older members

I am 24

Later Slim Freak

This series (all three hours back-to-back on Sunday) on the History Channel is called "World War II in Color" although the DVD release was titled "World War II - The Lost Color Archives". They are one and the same released by A&E Entertainment. The DVD was released in Aug. Oddly enough, there is another DVD called "World War II in Color"

that was released in '99 by Goldhil Home Media and is much shorter.

The first segment even has color footage from 1937 Germany. Don't expect much combat footage (as someone else said, most combat footage was from PTO). It is not going to be like a replay of your CM movies wink.gif. Still it is worth watching if you have not seen it.

Thanks to Mannheim for reminding me of this. I'm watching it right now, and it is stunning. I've seen color clips ofcourse, many of then lengthy, but I have never seen a continuous stream so vast of the war all in color. It is so real, so much like you are there. Excellent footage.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

There certainly is something intangible about color that brings it home. Maybe the old black and white footage just seems to "old" to relate to...

This show gave me one of those rare moments when the massive scale of the war really hit home. ***Shudder***

------------------

"The real groundbreaker of CM isn't the 3D modeling, it's the 'holy crap! what the heck was THAT' factor." - Dalem

It was 3 hours long. I missed the first 2 hours but caught the last hour. You can go to historychannel.com and order the 3 tape set for 29.95 USD. I was hoping for some good battle footage but the last hour had very little of that. It was more the aftermath of battle. Seeing Berlin in all it's devastation brought home the terrible price the German people had to pay.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Yep, and 29 smackers ain't bad for this. Sobering was an earlier comment and very appropriate. While I was watching it, I began to reflect upon the reality of those years. It is all too easy to study the equipment and strategy and pure raw numbers without seeing the pain and anguish of it all. Playing it on computers, boardwargames, and miniture wargames too often only lends to a feeling of excitement and glory. I think it important to periodically review the essence of it all as it really was, and for what it really was. War, is not something that anyone who has ever experience it ever what's to see again.

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-02-2000).]

I had picked up the 2-disk DVD set and applied a 10.00 off coupon at Amazon for less than 30.00. Go to couponsanddeals.com or couponparadise.com and there should be some coupon codes to use. Most coupons are for book purchases (good too!) but some have been for DVD and video.

Not sure about the VHS version but the DVD had extra un-released 15 minutes of footage. Some of that footage had a few minutes of gun cameras showing straffing runs in color.