Lets all work to Make CM a huge success

With the gold demo of Combat Mission fast approaching <fingers crossed> I was thinking about potential sales figures for this game. If ever there was a game company that truly desereved a huge hit, I think it is BTS. These guys have gone above and beyond when it comes to listening to thier customers and working to release a quality product. So...

We should all have at least several people in mind that we can convince, or force if necessary smile.gif to buy this game. I've got two copies on pre-order (one as a gift) and know of at least two more people that I'll have no trouble selling CM to once it's released. That makes a minimum of 4 sales from me.

I guess my point is that this game is made by and for the truly dedicated wargamers or who love historical accuracy, detail, etc. However, I think this is a game with the potential for mass appeal due to the simplicity of the user interface, great graphics, and excellent game play. It's just a matter of dragging family and friends in front of the computer and show them that something exists that is a true strategy game and not another Warcraft clone with a simple formula for victory based on mine resources X,Y, and Z in that order as fast as you can while producing as many Ultra Super Mystic Battle Tanks as possible for the wave attack at game end.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this...

Charles just emailed us that a new build now has German "Potato masher" grenades in.

previously the German squads threw grenades which looked round and like pineapple grenades. now the Germans throw proper "Potato Masher" grenades wink.gif.

A small touch but kinda cool. I wonder if it "tumbles" in flight? Hmm, I don't know yet since I don't have the build.. I'll have to check.

Yeah but I think we customers will be better able to do our part after the games is out.

Fionn. Lets get real. I dont think little fluff like that is going to matter.

At this point there should be a known amount of remaining work and any programmer or technical type can judge fairly accurately a time frame as it will progress towards completion. No offense intended so dont get your Irish up. Its just I am not gullible and dont like when I am being fed sugar-coated updates.

Lewis

PS Can grenades be caught and then thrown back?

I agree about the support. If I had one piece of advice for BTS it would be, go heavy on the copy protection and release several new revisions quickly after launch (you will probably end up doing one or two to fix bugs anyhow). The multiple releases is to annoy pirates who have to recrack the game with every patch. Do enough and they will get bored of pirating a wargame very quickly forcing users to buy the thing instead of playing stolen copies.

The reason I say this is that without a boxed version BTS is breaking new ground here to try and get out of the 15,000 unit trap that dooms many wargames. Rampant piracy just after launch could really hurt BTS as even wargamers might be tempted to steal it rather than waiting another 2 days for it to be delivered.

This has hurt "Horse & Musket" as well as Edensoft judging from their press release release today.

Anyways thats my advice ill informed though it maybe. Best of luck.

_dumbo

Guest Scott Clinton

> At this point there should be a known

> amount of remaining work and any programmer

> or technical type can judge fairly

> accurately a time frame as it will

> progress towards completion.

Your wrong. You simply don't understand software development. This issue has nothing to do with Steve, Charles, CM or even PC games. It is an industry-wide issue.

If I was able judge the completion date of projects 1/2 as well as you seem to suggest "any programmer or tech. type" can do I could retire in three years.

Don't you ever wonder why almost every software project runs over budget or past its due date?

BTW I am currently working on code scheduled for a 03/01/2000 release....we are now projecting 04/15/2000 (never happen).

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Lets get real<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This implies that someone is either out of touch with reality, or not being totally honest.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am not gullible <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gullibility also implies that someone is attempting to fool you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am being fed sugar-coated updates<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This suggests that you are being manipulated, and that "bad news" is being concealed or "spun" for your benefit.

I cannot understand your wanting to do business with such untrustworthy people. Maybe the game is no good and will never come out. So what? It's BTS' game, not yours; you haven't paid a penny but you got a free demo worth more than most of your other games (whatever they are).

No offense may be intended but it's certainly not surprising that some people find this tone and its implications offensive. Why not just post a thread asking when the release date will be? If they wanted to answer this they would have done so already.

Since squads are representations rather than individual soldiers, it would be unrealistic to show individual grenade-catching and returning; nor was this common or effective enough to bother modeling. Or so would be my guess.

Guest Zulu1

I think the German potato masher being added is great.

This tells me two things.

1) The gold demo should be out soon as Charles has time to add these small features.

2) It shows me the attention to detail that BTS is giving this game. And it's small details like this that can prevent reviewer and gamers from whining about "I don't like it because the camo on the Panther doesn't look like a picture I saw in page 362 of a book I've got.

It's certainly not fluff but attention to detail. Come on gold demo. smile.gif

Fionn wrote:

<HR WIDTH=75%>previously the German squads threw grenades which looked round and like pineapple grenades. now the Germans throw proper "Potato Masher" grenades<HR WIDTH=75%>

I believe small pineapple grenades were also used by Germans, although not as common. They were smooth and egg-shaped with a seam around the center. I remember seeing a few at some WWII Living History demonstrations.

[This message has been edited by 137th Gebirg (edited 03-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Fionn. Lets get real. I dont think little fluff like that is going to matter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Explain why this is fluff? What would be great is if they Germans threw the correct grenade for unit type and year (and the differetn types differences were modelled correctly).

Required for the game too be good? No. But then does that mean that every 'nice touch' is fluff?

I knew this would fire up the faithful. Tried to temper it with a little humor (throwing grenades back) but it was lost on the zealots in their rush to lay down their lives for a cause.

Hey lighten up weenies. Its a game. When I buy it its MY game. You people act like if we all behave and be nice maybe they will give us a cookie.

As if it matters, I have worked on plenty of projects that involve software integrated with hardware (real time embedded control of systems). Heres a clue..towards the end you are starting to get a real good idea when you will be finished. In the beginning, not so good an idea, get me some paper and a pen and I will draw you a picture.

Now I am wanting kampfpistols with all the optional grenades, those antitank german grenades with the streamers, bouncing mortar bombs, molotov cocktails, different helmet styles for the correct month of the war,etc.

Get it? Anal people never finish anything. I've worked with them and towards the end of a project they should start something else and let pragmatics take over.

Lewis

PS I want heros to jump on grenades too and win Medals of Honor.

Guest R Cunningham

Omigod! are the Germans now going to throw only Stielhandgranaten? This is, like, totally wrong. They should, like, have both, you know, grenades.

shg24.jpg

ehg.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...zealots...weenies...You people ... maybe they will give us a cookie...Heres a clue...Anal people...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the lost "humor". My concern is that you really ARE communicating effectively.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I want heros to jump on grenades too and win Medals of Honor<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be your own hero, as the saying goes. I will proudly sponsor your nomination. tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 03-24-2000).]

Nice work, Lewis. It would appear that today's trolling effort payed off. After unsuccessful attempts to bait the other day, it looks like you have got some people to bite. Hopefully, you get as much satisfaction out of this effort as your work in discussing U238 shells.

My advice is to ignore Lewis. Oh, and if you don't like me using your name, Lewis, I suggest you change it. I'm sure several here can provide suggestions. Where's Peng when i need him.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Username - who says that BTS doesn't have a very exact idea of when the game is going to be released? If (and when) they want to tell you or not is a whole different matter...

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 03-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goanna:

Hopefully, you get as much satisfaction out of this effort as your work in discussing U238 shells.

{Are Depleted Uranium shells U238 or U235?}

My advice is to ignore Lewis. Oh, and if you don't like me using your name, Lewis, I suggest you change it. I'm sure several here can provide suggestions. Where's Peng when i need him.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont mind you using my name perhaps once in a post but the way you end sentances with it sounds..how can I say this?..very effeminate. Well you sound like this gay guy I used to know anyway. You married or ever had a girlfriend? Is Peng your lover? Why do you need him?

So "Gowannabe a rat", get a sense of humor or something. Most of you are a bit too serious and somewhat creepy .. peng is really funny though (beat up invalids and throw garbage on them..perhaps the funniest thing i read in a while).

I'd crush you all in any game. I am a warrior, poet, mystic, visionary, ladykiller by the way.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

Username - who says that BTS doesn't have a very exact idea of when the game is going to be released? If (and when) they want to tell you or not is a whole different matter...

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 03-24-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I am unemployed right now. If the game were to be released in the fall, then I would seek employment till then. But here I am waiting for an undetermined amount of time collecting unemployment checks and wondering "When is it going to come out already?".

Makes you think doesnt it?

Lewis

ehg.jpg Didnt the germans also have other grenades made out of some workable explosive material? They directly machined the explosive I mean.

Couldnt they also throw the rifle grenade by hand? Are these weapons not to be represented? Inquiring minds want to know..

Lewis

Lewis,

The reason people act nice and decent to each other is not for reward, it is how you earn respect. If you wonder why people come to the defence of the game and other posters, it is because this really is a community. And with every community, there is always one BIG-MOUTH HOOSIER who enjoys stirring up trouble.

We are all just passengers on this project. How BTS chooses to reach their goals is up to them alone. Period. They have been kind enough to let us collaborate on many of the features. It will be a great game, much worth the wait.

You know, if you would just act civil when you protest things, people would regard your post as other than a nuisance.

So Lewis, be a good neighbor or else this community might just run your ass out of town. smile.gif

P.S. I think you will be happy with the things that are still being added. I know i will.

Guest Scott Clinton

> I knew this would fire up the faithful.

I SURELY hope you were NOT referring to me. If so, you are mistaken.

> As if it matters, I have worked on plenty of projects

> that involve software integrated with hardware

> ...

> Well I am unemployed right now.

:) Gee, I stand corrected. Your skills in software development and project management way over-shadow my mere 10 years.

Let me know when your book comes out, your firm goes public and you are on the Letterman Show so I can watch.

I'm gone...if I want this I could just respond to one of Fionn's posts! ;)

Just kidding Fionn! :))

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 03-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

>

I SURELY hope you were NOT referring to me. If so, you are mistaken.

:) Gee, I stand corrected. Your skills in software development and project management way over-shadow my mere 10 years.

Let me know when your book comes out, your firm goes public and you are on the Letterman Show so I can watch.

I'm gone...if I want this I could just respond to one of Fionn's posts! ;)

Just kidding Fionn! :))

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott

Sorry I wasn't referring to you. I am not sure what you are posting about really. Oh I get it .. you are from Texas arent you? Texans don't need anyone to have a conversation for those of you that don't know.

This kind of makes sense now.

Lewis

PS Was this guy on TV or something? He really lost me. Whats he mean "I'm gone?" I bet he wrangles snakes and speaks in tounges too.

Nipolit.

Expired artillery propellant. Water resistant and moldable. Introduced late in the war (probably too late to be worth modeling)

Sad that I didn't even have to look this up.

I wonder what actual useful bit of knowledge was displaced to make room for 'nipolit'?

Jason - does this make me a grognard?

You just keep getting more "impressive" all the time, Lewis. Admitting that you are a dead beat dole-bludger is really the way to make people think your opinions are credible. Don't tell me, you also live in a trailer outside Knoxville and your favourite activity is the sprintcar races if a tractor pull isn't on.

I am relatively sure you were sacked too, rather than quit your last job, based on your attitude.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd crush you all in any game. I am a warrior, poet, mystic, visionary, ladykiller by the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubtful, Losername, and your sister doesn't count in the ladykiller biz.

My sexual persuation is none of your business, but thanks for asking, I'm almost flattered. You must be getting tired of taking animal husbandry a bit to literally in Iowa.

------------------

desert rat wannabe