This is the only time I have had anything negative to say about BTS

My understanding (and I could be wrong about this) was that the construction of the TCP/IP part of the game was going to be outsourced. If that is the case I don't understand why it isn't availible yet. Most scenerios that came with the game are dated as being made in April. So something close to the final code would have been around since then. If it was not being outsourced then I would think it would be of higher priority than better explosions and even a tweaked AI. The game as it was shipped is great and needed no enhancements in my mind (although they have been very very nice). A poll was taken late last year asking if we would rather have the game delayed to include TCP/IP or have the game released sooner without it. I, along with everybody, wanted the game 1st. But I guess I was under that impression the TCP/IP was in the process of being built then.

Sorry if I am just being a little bitch but I can't help myself sometimes....just ask SS_bedwetter if you don't believe me.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Guest Germanboy

IIRC at some point they said '2 months after the initial release of the game', and that is still some weeks off. Don't know whether that statement was changed later. FWIW, I could not care less about the TCP/IP patch (I live in Europe), and would much prefer a tweaked AI for tanks, and I like the new explosions. YMMV.

Added later: I actually think that your post is quite unfair on BTS, and quite pointless. Sorry to have to say this, but as you say, instead of taking their word, you substituted it with your impressions, and now complain about these impressions not being met. Strange indeed. When I get an impression about something, I normally try to keep in mind that the impression does not necessarily have anything to do with reality. A helpful exercise, I find.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 07-23-2000).]

Elvis, you are making to much of this. TCP/IP is coming....when it's ready. Look at what BTS, along with the great group of testers have done. When it comes, it will mostly be bug free, playable, fun as hell etc.etc. Just hold on, WE ALL want it. In the mean time, 1.03 is just around the corner, being tested right now by the testers. (Dam them for now giving us just a little hint.) Charles stated that it was going to have NEW things.

sniperscope

I agree with sniperscope. The attention to detail, acceptance of feedback, and timely release of patches is unparalled in the gaming community. Although TCPIP capability is high on my wish list, better Tac AI and the stomping out of bugs is priority number one in my book.

Besides, a lot of us voted way back when to allow the game to ship without the TCPIP addition. Now we have the game, which is clearly better IMO. TCPIP can wait until ALL of the nasty bugs are fixed and AI is improved. Here's a request for the addition of vertex fog! HAh!

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 07-23-2000).]

According to this thread http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum7/HTML/000003.html posted at SimHQ by a CM Beta-tester, TCP/IP may take longer than expected. Apparently they're still gathering ideas and haven't even started the TCP/IP portion yet.

"..The tcp/ip patch will NOT be with 1.03, as 1.03 is being tested now. The patch is down the road yet, to complicate things, MS has a new tcp/ip stack in Windows 2000 and Windows ME, so programming it will be no easy chore."

"..One thing being discussed is how to do a tcp/ip game. Should a timer be put in for moves? If there is a timer, how much time should there be? A lot of considerations for tcp/ip. Oh, and will be happy to hear anyone's opinion on this."

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-23-2000).]

Ah Elvis, research is a GOOD thing wink.gif.

1. Your understanding regarding outsourcing is plain and simply wrong.

2. You obviously have never been involved in designing scenarios for a game. If you had you'd know that as EVERY tweak to AI and firepower etc is made to the game that the scenario must be tweaked and re-tweaked. Those scenarios played very different in April than they do now.

3. Charles and Steve choose to continue making tweaks. Remember that these are the same guys who made many decisions which were bitched about here ad nauseum BUT which, in the end, resulted in this game ( a better game than if they'd listened to bitching here).

And in conclusion, this is exactly the kind of post which makes testers and others go " What the hell?" Seems that if you give people x, y and z then they'll bitch about not having m. You simply can't win so it's not even worth trying.

Oh, final comment... CM is as bug-free as any game this complex can be. I'm thinking that you'd rather have a TCP/IP which WORKS than something cobbled together in a week or two. If the answer is yes then you'll wait. Waiting an extra few weeks means that you'll have much less frustration for the next few YEARS of playing CM I.

And as for 1.03. I have no idea where people got the idea that TCP/IP was part of it. Obviously someone somewhere "wished" for it to be in and someone else misinterpreted it and said " Hey, BTS said TCP/IP is in 1/03". Funny thing is that some people are gonna bitch about BTS "lieing" to them about TCP/IP not being in 1.03 due to this kind of stupid rumour.

*sigh*

Elvis, you insufferable little brat. Have a nice warm mug of shut the hell up and go finish shaving your scrotum you crabby-pantsed little ratbag.

I want TCP/IP yesterday too so I can make hash out of your hapless little weenie troops faster. But it isn't here yet. Get over it.

You sound like one of those rotten swine who pissed and moaned about everything before the game came out and still piss and moan about everything now that the game is out. I think you had a few too many Sunday DIY bloody marys at Foys today.

Now crawl back into your cave and send me the turn you bowl of pus.

Peng

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.

I think Elvis is clamoring for TCP/IP so that he won't have to have Mr. Peng over to his house every time he wants to play a "quick one".

Apparently, Mr. Peng drinks all Elvis' beer and impregnates his cats as well.

Who wouldn't be begging for TCP/IP under those twisted circumstances.

Any resemblance to any smilies, living or dead, is purely coincidental and should not be construed, blah, blah, blah....

Notnowjohn:

I'll have you know that Elvis' cats are MALE and therefore I cannot possibly get them preggers. They do seem to enjoy the buggery though. A bit of a tight fit, but after consuming all of the beer and bourbon in the house I was feeling a bit randy and needed a go at something.

Peng

PS thanks for no smilies

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.