Tank Spotting

How long does it take to notice a 77 ton monster 15 meters in front of you?

Answer... "It varies."

Here's what happened... I'm in this little French town in my Jumbo 76, minding my own business. When along comes this King Tiger and greases all my buddies. So I check the town map and I notice this nice little cul-de-sac. So I back my Jumbo in nice and snug. I figure when the KT comes rolling by I'll just pop a AP right into his side. No Prob. So I'm sitting there waiting. I can't see him. But I can hear him. I hear him rolling along. Then I hear him stop. Now, I hear him turning his turret. In fact, somehow, just by listening I can tell he is turning his turret in my direction. Go figure. Well you might know that the turret on the KT is kinda slow. It takes a good 10 seconds or more just to turn that thing 90 degrees. Then the turret stops. And then, to my wild surprise, there it is. Right in front of me... 15 meters. Sitting there in the middle of the intersection. 77 tons of "uber" about to kick my butt. And before I can yell "FIRE", Pow! My Jumbo has a new hole and me and the boys are running for cover.

The thing I can't figure is why did it take me so long to notice that thing 15 meters in front of me. I was staring right at it. I wasn't buttoned up or anything. Sure I could understand if it took me 10 seconds to notice a KT rumbling through the trees at 500 meters in the fog. But this was right in the middle of the day, no smoke, no enemy fire, nothing. Just 15 meters of clean flat pavement. It just ain't right. The only thing I can figure is the gods must be crazy.

[This message has been edited by Gronk (edited 12-06-2000).]

i think this is just another "Bad Luck" issue, wich is programmed "nicely" into CM wink.gif

i was reading CM review few days ago in the "Inside Mac Games" and it seems that reviewer has missed to mention one of the most advanced features of the Game!!! tongue.gif

Your problem takes my problem to extreme and beyond!

My problem is that overwatch tanks don't se tanks that move up to fireingposition and blasting rounds at them some 100-200 m away.

The human eye is very good at spotting movement. Scaning large areas after stationary hulldown targets should be hard IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

Superior German Optics wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAOPMP Jeff biggrin.gif..

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

Did you have an ambush out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope... But I doubt it would have helped... You have to see someone to ambush them... unless ambush increases the chance to spot... hmmm

Madmatt, does ambush increase the chance to spot enemy tanks at the ambush marker?

Man. I've posted the almost exact same message to this forum, and I know exactly what you're talking about.

I too, did not get any helpful responses.

It is plainly and simply, a PROBLEM. Once everyone who plays this game actually has this happen to them, then they'll be able to understand.

Tanks 15m away, in the wide open, should not remain unspotted. Period. Even when I had an ambush marker on the exact spot where the enemy tank "sound contact" symbol (and later, the actual tank) appeared, the tank shot me through my turret without me ever seeing it (till I bailed out).

Whatever. Still love the game. smile.gif

I had a similar occurence. Had a bazooka team nicely situated to ambush a German panzer strolling down a road about 30m away. Even had an ambush marker out.

I "see" the sound contact moving up, and then drive over the ambush marker, and then drive away. The bazooka team never actually spotted the Panther tooling along 30m away, and never fired.

I was upset.

Jeff Heidman

Guest Mikey D

I've always imagined the close-in lag time (I've experienced it too) is the AI's equivalent of the commander looking out his periscope, seeing four Panthers filling his field of view and screaming "HOLY ####!!!" It'd probably take about 15 seconds to recover from the mega-dump of andenolyn that just entered your blood system! Sounds accurate!

well, seeing as i dont have the full retail product yet, i play the demo exclusively, the thing i want to know is why my tanks never seem to fire at other moving tanks... it bothers me because ill get shot (and usually hit) while moving but i rarely get any kills shooting a moving tank.

A related issue:

How on earth can the AFV crew get a sound contact anyway?

AFAIK, tracked AFVs make lots of noice by themselves, and the crews better wear ear protection. Hearing nice of other AFVs, or even infantry, some distance away, seems pretty impossible! Still I've had tanks getting an infantry sound contact half a mile away... redface.gif

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

How on earth can the AFV crew get a sound contact anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume there's just one spotting ability. Not separate hearing and seeing.

So hearing can't be lowered for tanks, unless we want 'em blind as well.

Gronk wrote:

How long does it take to notice a 77 ton monster 15 meters in front of you?

Some time ago I read an article about a sapper company that was positioned at Summa area (IIRC) during the Winter War. In it one sapper told about his experiences as a "bomber", an AT close-defence man (armed with demolition charges and Molotov coctails). He told that during one attack he was lying in his foxhole waiting for one tank to advance to range. He focused on the tank really intesively but then he suddenly became aware that something was wrong. He turned around to see that one Soviet tank had stopped itself right behind his foxhole, less than two meters away. He had no idea when it had driven there. Luckily, the tank hadn't noticed him, either. The tank was too close so that he couldn't throw his demolition charge on it and he didn't have any Molotov coctails at that time. Fearing that someone else would attack it with explosives, he quickly crawled further and after he had crawled some ten meters away, somebody managed to throw an demo charge on the tank and destroy it.

- Tommi

Guest Mikey D

Regarding sound contact.

Have you ever been trying to get to sleep late at night and in the silence you hear a distant growl of an 18-wheeler pulling away from the intersection a half mile away? Imagine instead it's a multibank Sherman Firefly engine starting-up on the far side of a wooded valley.