German terms

Guest John Maragoudakis

Guest John Maragoudakis

Can somebody please translate all the German sayings in the game? I zoomed up on Some German infantry that I was shooting at in order to try to figure out how bad they were hurt. But hey, I don't fully understand what they were saying. Any German players would be at anvantage because they can speak english.

The German infantry can keep speaking German, but please provide us with a translation. Hey, it's a fun way to learn German too.

I heard 'auf gehts', guess that means lets get outta here? Does 'bevunden'(wounded?) mean I'm hit?

"Bewundert": present-perfect, first person form of "wunden," German for "wounded."

"los": German for "out" or "go." Often followed in real life by "schnell!" which is German for "quickly."

("schnell" should be in the game. So should "achtung," which translates to "attention," and would be the voice cue for first contact with the enemy)

Now I have one: what is the translation of the abbreviation "KwK?" I know that PaK is Panzerabwehrkanon (tank-gun) but what does the first K in KwK stand for?

Thanks

DjB

Guest Zigster

KwK = KampfwagenKanone (Fighting Vehicle Cannon or Tank Gun)

PaK translates literally "Armour Defence Cannon" or "Anti-Tank Gun"

Guest John Maragoudakis

Thanks. I was specifically looking for translations for what the soldiers say. Maybe there can be a list up at the gamers net for reference.

Guest John Maragoudakis

If there is no side bar indicating what is happenning with the unit wink.gif, we will need a reference for the terms. As it is now, the major is on his knees with his ear to the ground and all I hear is hurry , strudle for everyone smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 01-13-2000).]

John,

Sounds like a good idea... I'll see what I can do.

BTW the sound FX have changed a LOT from the beta demo..

Just yesterday I heard an Allied Engineer squad yell "The Bastards" at my advancing Lynx and Puma when I killed a bazooka team beside them.. It was very funny to hear them react in such a realistic way .... Then I killed them all. Oh well wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Zigster

Engineers? Puma? Lynx? Yer a cruel Bastard, Fionn. tongue.gif

I rather like only half-understanding what they're saying. But then again, I like playing the Allies.

------------------

Der Zig

John,

you're right with "auf geht's" . It's something like "get movin'" in English.

"Ich bin verwundet" means "I'm wounded" and "Ich bin getroffen" means "I'm hit". A guy calling "Sanitaeter!" needs a "Medic!"

Need some more translations? Pls ask...

Marcus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Just yesterday I heard an Allied Engineer squad yell "The Bastards" at my advancing Lynx and Puma when I killed a bazooka team beside them..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lynx? confused.gif I always thought the German vehicles had german names. If this is a German vehicle and it's called Lynx in CM, you may want to check the name.

Lynx is "Luchs" in German, by the way.

Dschugaschwili

[This message has been edited by Dschugaschwili (edited 01-14-2000).]

LOL Dschugaschwili, how the obvious is sometimes missed.

PUMA is also an English word, as is Panther, Tiger etc...

OBVIOUSLY I just translated from the German nickname although in many cases one just uses Allied nicknames.

Check out the Pz II L and its development history. IT is the Lynx.

CM does NOT call it Lynx or anything. It uses the good old-fashioned Mark and Ausfuehrung numbers and letters.. thus lynx = Pz II L

------------------

Fionn Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

LOL Dschugaschwili, how the obvious is sometimes missed.

PUMA is also an English word, as is Panther, Tiger etc...

Check out the Pz II L and its development history. IT is the Lynx.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops redface.gif

For the development history, where should I know that from? I don't colloct historical data on just about everything related to weapons etc., I'm just a student of computer science who happens to like turn based strategy games and has somehow stumbled upon CM (can't remember how).

So have mercy with me. smile.gif

Dschugaschwili

"schnell" should be in the game. So should "achtung," which translates to "attention," and would be the voice cue for first contact with the enemy

Add to that "Himmel", "Mein Gott", and "Donnerwetter" so that we could play old WWII comics scenarios... (You know, those where a brave and heroic Allied soldier singlehandedly wins the war by ruining a German war-winning plan).

- Tommi

Oops sorry Dschugaschwili I often forget the wide range of backgrounds of CM players...

Suffice it to say that the Lynx was just a name that was bestowed upon the Pz II L

Only 104 were built although 4 of these were conversions from the VK 1301 prototype run.

Basically you had one 20mm KwK38 L/55 and a co-axial MG34..

Armour was 30mm on frontal aspects and 20 on side and rear. Slope averaged 15 degrees on all aspects although much of the side aspect was vertical plate.

They were issued to Panzer Aufklaerungs Abteilung and were destined for good mobile recon with high survivability.

Eventually they were to be superceded by the "Leopard" which was to mount a 50mm L/60 gun (same as on the Pz III H) and quite a good gun versus the T-40 to T70 series the Soviets fielded.

Production began in September 43 and finished January 44... It seems some survived the war which is pretty good testament to the design. All in all it was a good usage of an obsolete chassis IMO

------------------

Fionn Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

Add to that "Himmel", "Mein Gott", and "Donnerwetter" so that we could play old WWII comics scenarios... (You know, those where a brave and heroic Allied soldier singlehandedly wins the war by ruining a German war-winning plan).

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And let's not forget "schweinhund" wink.gif

Fionn, nothing to be sorry for.

Regarding the Lynx/Luchs thing, as I thought about it (and I had plenty of time to do so because I didn't have internet access during the weekend frown.gif ) I came to the conclusion that I always thought (and still think) that calling vehicles animal names was a german idea. I mean, they're still called "Leopard II", "Marder" and so on.

And you always seemed to call the german things by their german names here and in your AARs (Kampfgruppe and Nahverteidigungswaffe come to mind), so I figured calling Pz IIL "Lynx" might have been accidental.

Oh well, never mind.

Dschugaschwili

Guest Kettle Black

Hehe. The best thing with Close Combat (imo) was at last being able to learn some really useful German phrases...

"Auf die Beine!"

"Dem (n?) können wir vergessen"

Btw has anyone seen the "Generic Nazi General" sketch with Mel Smith and Griff-Jones (Griff-Davies?). Simply hilarious stuff. Basically, an office is slowly filled with German Generals who all have different classical movie traits, like "As you can see Captain, we are not all barbarians."

Another one is contiuosly "picking up ze phöne and shouting Get me ze Fuhrer!"

One is named Von Dunkel, wears black and is constantly dabbing his mouth since "he has no lips". He is the "slightly pervy General".

At the end of course a General comes in but all the traits are taken...

smile.gif

Los! Los!

[This message has been edited by Kettle Black (edited 01-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Add to that "Himmel", "Mein Gott", and "Donnerwetter" so that we could play old WWII comics scenarios... (You know, those where a brave and heroic Allied soldier singlehandedly wins the war by ruining a German war-winning plan).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should also have the "Verdammt, Battler Briton" when the allied Jabos appear or how about british troops armed with jokes: "Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nur gut, dass das kein Deutscher versteht. Der gute DUDEN würde sich im Grabe umdrehen wink.gif

If these phrases could be understood by germans, the good old Mr. DUDEN would have to turn in his grave. biggrin.gif

Helge

==============

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

"schnell" should be in the game. So should "achtung," which translates to "attention," and would be the voice cue for first contact with the enemy

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good man !!! You remember those comics too smile.gif