To Grid or Not to Grid! Discuss this inside.....

Guest Madmatt

I've been following this one for a while; it's academic for the moment, as the full game hasn't arrived yet frown.gif

After weighing up the arguments, I think I'll download the grid when it can be toggled on and off so it's there if I want it. I must admit that from the screenshots it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. As to the realism factor, well views 2 and up aren't terribly realistic either, nor is the los tool, nor is knowing the precise status of a squad on the other side of the battlefield from your HQ.

As long as it's a question of personal preference rather than advantage, I don't see the need for a debate. A similar debate crops up sometimes in flight sim bulletin boards about how unrealistic it is to use exterior aircraft views. Yet such views can give valuable 3D input to the pilot that is denied by virtue of the 2D cockpit interface, <I/>but that is available to a real pilot. The grid debate seems to be touching on a similar point in that it compensates for insufficient 3D input.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, by now there seem to be three camps: The Gridders ("hey, this is great, really helpful"); the Non-Gridders (It's gamey and I will have nothing to do with it, or anyone using them!"), and the Aesthetics ("When I look out of my window I don't see grids").

In my opinion they're a tool in the same sense that 19 different grasstiles are a tool (those still playing with the stock-grass will know what I mean). Good enough for me, since I'm in the Aesthetics camp.

I don't think they're gamey. There are several other in-game ways to know the things you want to know, without using them.

But in the end... It's still a game. so I say: do watcha like, Play howya like. We're in it for the fun, right? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Juju (edited 07-23-2000).]

Guest ACTOR

Juju you hit it right on. biggrin.gif I am using the grids, because I choose to. If someone doesn't want to use them, don't. If you are going to PBEM and are worried it will give the other person an un-fair advantage...ask him/her not use the grids.

Happy hunting!

Guest Madmatt

Actually the grid was just another devious device by the Madbot to boost hits on CMHQ Bwahahaaa!!!! Some day I will hit 10,000 a day!!!

Madmatt

REFRESH YOU MONKEYS REFRESH!!!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Actually the grid was just another devious device by the Madbot to boost hits on CMHQ Bwahahaaa!!!! Some day I will hit 10,000 a day!!!

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, how many hits you got? smile.gif

Just curious. I noticed there isn't a counter on the page.

Anyway, you deserve it. Great site!

Still won't use the grid though. biggrin.gif

Guest Madmatt

CMHQ gets over 1000 unique hits a day...

The Annex gets about 300-400 a day...

Not sure about the Canadian site...

The counters are there, they are just hidden from prying eyes... wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

SS, you nefarious little toady!!! What is this disgusting posturing you are doing!!!!

The honor of all grid-likers is in your hands!!! If you lose to me,all grid-likers lose. So you had better shore up your faltering nerves, because all of these poor misled souls are counting on you!

(disclaimer: If you cannot see that this post is in jest, you should see a head doctor)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Git him, Captain. And if he loses, make him drink decaf for a few weeks... smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

GOD, I never really realised how wonderful I am..... I am so lucky to be me, I just sit around and look at myself in the mirror all day... I dont remember exactly where I got that last quote, but I might be paraphrasing..

(Putting on asbestos trench coat) smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO

Foo, you'll have to widen those doors at home mate, just so you can get your swollen head through 'em! wink.gif

As for the grid? I'd use it myself just so I can determine the contours a bit more easily!

And the 'ahem' proposed hex field? Only if we get the corresponding die roll displayed at the upper right hand side of the screen, along with the combat results table! smile.gif

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 07-24-2000).]

I downloaded the hires grid and like a lot. Currently playing All or Nothing. The grid only applies to grass and doesn't extend to other types of terain. I'm sure it's been mentioned here earlier but look and the best Golf simulations like Links 2000. It has some of the best looking terain graphics out there and it uses a grid on it's greens because you absolutely can't read a putt without it. In CM it doesn't look like a hex grid game at all and quite frankly I don't even notice it.I know it's late in this thread and probably no one will read this but just my two cents worth.

Yawn...... Veddy Interesting.....alot of discussion........some good points......but NO Mac version so why does it matter (at least to me) I'd rather see some Mac winter textures.....but excuse me, you go on and argue amongest yourselves (just feeling a little sorry for myself)

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

I use it against the AI because it saves time. Against humans I let my opponent decide. On a little side not I do play some games without it to stay in practice. I think if you learn and can master the game without the grid (practice looking over the terrain, recognizing good spots, etc.) then really it just saves you some clicks of the mouse or keyboard.

There will be no gridding for me. I am clearly in the camp: "I look at my window and I don't see no grids."

I think a grid would detract from the realism and atmosphere that CM is soaked with.

So I won't be downloading the grid at all, but MadMatt keep up the good work at Combat HQ. I can't get enough of the scenarios and new mods.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

Yawn...... Veddy Interesting.....alot of discussion........some good points......but NO Mac version so why does it matter (at least to me) I'd rather see some Mac winter textures.....but excuse me, you go on and argue amongest yourselves (just feeling a little sorry for myself)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well That is an interesting observation.

I have looked at all the screen shots of the grids at Matt's site and like others here wonder how to make the same textures available for the Mac?

I'm still only playing with all the original screen graphics, and no mods at all as I'm on a Mac.

I think I prefer the original graphics and I like the 19 shades of grass colour for elevation. I think I prefer no grids lines.

Although I KNOW some of my friends who do not have the game yet were looking specifically for grid lines the first time they saw the game.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>