Puka, Puka?

I could of sworn I heard the German troops say, "puka puka" (sp?). I have searched here, and looked on a German / English dictionary, but cannot find a translation.

Just WTF is puka puka? Or am I hearing things?

BTW, searching this BBS for variants of puka, pooka, etc. as lead me to a discuusion on hamsters and polka or some such, very stimulating... eek.gif

Guest Germanboy

Maybe they are Bavarian Space Orcs shouting 'Budda Budda' in a strange voice. It is not German, sounds like an Indian take-away (famous Pukkah Pies - they're delicious...)

------------------

Andreas

If you listen very carefully, it suddenly dawns on you that that's not the sound of a Tiger's idling engine... it's actually the chanting choirs of the spirits of the undead. Just listen to it long enough (5-8 hours should do it) and you'll see what I mean.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Maybe they are Bavarian Space Orcs shouting 'Budda Budda' in a strange voice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did not know that the Germans in CM actually are Space Orcs in disguise ... I guess that I have to paint my evil Lynx's in red then so that they go faster. Is that modeled, or is it one of those important things that BTS forgot?

Mattias

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

Did not know that the Germans in CM actually are Space Orcs in disguise ... I guess that I have to paint my evil Lynx's in red then so that they go faster. Is that modeled, or is it one of those important things that BTS forgot?

Mattias

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latter, old boy, the latter. T'is a harsh world we have to contend with. How's the lady these days?

------------------

Andreas

Puka Puka? Hah! That's nothing! Why, just last night I saw a full brigade of Waffen SS throw down their rifles and start singing the jub-jub song from Return of the Jedi.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Chupacabra wrote:

> Why, just last night I saw a full brigade of Waffen SS throw down their rifles and start singing the jub-jub song

I should know better than to try and eat or drink while I'm reading this forum. =P

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Well Dirtweasel, your men's problem is indeed rodent related, but the rodent in question is far from your ordinary hamster.

It is with great sadness that I must inform you, your men have picked up one of those god-awful Pokemon. I believe the mouse-like yellow one by the name of Pikachu often makes a similar sound - "Pika-Pika".

I should know, since one of my younger siblings likes these abominations of an Anime show, and insist on running around the house screaming "Pika-Pika" at the top oh his little lungs.

Anyway, if this is the case, I suggest you run your infected squad into clear LOS of the nearest nearby Sherman, flamethrower squad, or 150mm mortar fire. The more painful thier demise, the better.

------------------

...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I could of sworn I heard the German troops say, "puka puka" (sp?). I have searched here, and looked on a German / English dictionary, but cannot find a translation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The actual term is "pooka". Your troops are obviously the notorious SS-Zechbrigaden, who terrorised Europe while out of their skulls on a lethal combination of Jägermeister, Asbach Uralt, and Norman Cider. There are several recorded instances of SS-ZBs taking out Cromwells at over 1000 yards with their dreaded Model 3 Kraftkotzen (Ausf. PB).

Their fearsome battle-cry of "Pooka, Pooka!" refers to their regimental mascot, a six-feet-three-and-a-half inches high invisible rabbit named Harvey.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Well then that's better. I was afraid it had something to do with the nearly empty bottle of Bushmills at my feet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's it doing at your feet if it's only 'nearly' empty? Philistine... smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

WH40K'ers UNITE!!!

Who needs Fireflies or Tigers??

I have Shadowswords, Baneblades and some Stormhammers for close-support. And MK7 Power Armour with Jump Packs, Powerfists and Plasma Pistols.

...and some Grey Knights (vs. Canadians only, hehe)

...and the above mentioned "Kraftkotze Pfläumchen+Heringssalat Mk III" - Combiweapon.

You stand no chance, no chance at all!

biggrin.gif

Dirtweasle,

though I haven't heard it in the game yet, it isn't unthinkable that what you heard is in the game. "Pauke Pauke!" was a radio code word meaning "attack!" and used by the german nightfighter crews, something remotely like "Horrido!" (german hunter's vocabulary, meaning something like "have a good hunt!", also used by dayfighters etc., probably also by "tank-hunting" tank crews), and since WW2 it aquired quite some popularity outside that special usage as a general word for something in the area of "let's attack!", "get it on!"

Pauke in itself is the german word for drum. I am not an ethymologist, but guess the usage above might stem from the drum thing, you know, like, "beat the drum", nowadays people would say "hit the bass" or "beat beat beat beat!" smile.gif

Hope this helps,

yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

-----------

in-side inside out, in-side inside out, in-side, inside out, inside inside inside out,

in-side inside out, in-side inside out, in-side, inside out, inside inside upside down

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Just WTF is puka puka? Or am I hearing things?

Are you sure it wasn't the German troops shouting "Stuka, Stuka" perhaps pining for the good 'ol days when they actually had some airpower to speak of! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.