Can mounted infantry fire?

Guest Madmatt

From my experience, no mounted fire from passengers is possible.

If they are riding in a passenger compartment I would guess that they are keeping there heads down and if they are riding on an armored vehicles they are too busy holding on.

Fire from a moving vehicle, espicially from an unstabalized hand weapon is going to be VERY innaccurate.

This aint Kelly's Heroes here!

As to the question of protection, I would not think that riding on the back of a huge mass of steel would be all that safe. Bullets have a habit of richocheting OFF the hard steel and INTO the nice soft pink flesh above. In the game I have seen serious casualties inflicted on units riding on top of tanks from MG bursts. So I would not reccomend it, or at least only until you get engaged.

Besides, tanks need infantry out in FRONT of them scouting out AT teams and ambushes, not cowering on the rear deck.

One of the great things about this game is if you start playing with Hollywood style tactics, the AI will gladly and competently HAND YOUR ASS TO YOU. One big advantage over the player is that the AI doesnt get lazy in its thinking. You may think you have a battle all wrapped up and begin to just give lazy orders and stop paying attention and the AI will be more than happy to punish you for this style of play.

In many games against the AI I have done some stupid things (for purely testing purposes) and charged a dug in infantry squad without suppressing it first, or sent an unsupported tank down a unscouted road and I have gotten my nose bloodied every time. You cut corners and the AI can and will kick your face in.

Also remember that it isnt 3 little guys hiding behind or on top of that tank but a FULL squad and its hard to crowd that many people that close without some dumb idiot sticking out! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX... Coming Soon!!!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 04-28-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

But strangely Doug, their constant spray of bullets never managed to kill anyone, inside of the vehicles or out smile.gif

Now there was a good lesson for the littlies....

I used to love watching the A-Team back in the early-mid 80's. As a kid around 6-8 years old at the time it was my favorite show with the Dukes of Hazzard. Now I see the shows today and I can't believe I used to like them. At 23, I think I matured out of that stage now wink.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Ironically, the A-Team is still in syndication on the TVLand channel on some cable or satellite systems.

"But I love it when a plan comes together"--Col. Hannibal Smith

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

Guest Big Time Software

Official answers that don't involve references to old TV shows that were as cheesy as they could get wink.gif

No, mounted infantry can not fire. In most cases this would not be physically possible either due to restricted firing opporunities (like in a inside a HT), "cram factor" (ever see a picture of a dozen men on the back of a tank?), motion factor (they'd be lucky to SEE a target to shoot at, and forget about hitting), and facing issues (how many would be facing the direction in question is highly variable).

In short... shooting from within, or on, a vehicle would have no realistic impact on the tactical situation and is a real bitch to simulate correctly from a physics standpoint. So it isn't in there and won't ever be smile.gif

There was a thread just started up about protection when riding on something like a tank. Short answer is that there is none. In fact, troops riding on vehicles are MORE vunerable than if they were off the vehicle. Check out that thread for more details, but much of it is similar to the outgoing fire reasons listed above.

Steve

Funny that this particular reference (A-Team) came up on this board at this time.

I owned a software store in Los Angeles at the time A-Team was being produced. It was located in West LA between 20th Fox studios(where the show must have been shot) and the freeway.

Several of the cast members (George Peppard and the "smart guy" Dutch? [brain fade]) became regular customers. They're main areas of interest: combat simulations.

I distinctly remember George Peppard leaning over my shoulder at one of the demo machines and saying he wanted to buy the copy of [some game that had individual tanks for the Apple II (more brain fade)] that I was, er, evaluating because he wanted to "try out some ideas he had on tank tactics."

So the show may have been cheesy, but at least a couple of the principal actos were gamers.

They would have loved CM.

Oi! When I got my new PC and discovered it had a TV tuner card, I eagerly put the thing together at God knows what hour in the morning and tried to get the TV to work. The first programme I watch on this? Dukes of Hazard at 3am on TNN!

During one of our quiet moments in IBM, we had a look on the web to sort out once and for all what kind of cars the General Lee, and that yoke they drive in Starsky and Hutch were. Then we went on to find the name of the little guy in Fantasy Island, and then we looked up Charlie's Angels websites. What we couldn't believe, however, was the 'Love Boat Webring' I mean, some people have no lives... (We nuked the Love Boat in a Harpoon game once...)

Manic Moran

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Herr T says... "I piddy zat fool who mess mit meiner Tiger!!" smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, does this mean that gold chains and a Mohawk haircut will be one of the textures in an upcoming version? eek.gif

The guy you're thinking of was called "The Face" in the show.

His real name is Dirk Benedict and he listed cooking as an alternative career and cuban cigars as a vice.

*Sigh*. Sometimes a good memory can be a curse.. I remember this from a Battlestar Galactica-related interview I read over 14 years ago... (and no, I'm not a galacticar (or whatever their version of trekkie is) ). wink.gif

Hmmm, I suppose infantry fire from a stopped

half track would be effective. The other

hing is firing at second story of

buildings from inside a half track.

From what I understand infantry following

right behind a tank have no extra special

cover from fire coming from the direction

the tank is in.

I assume this would be really hard to do...

but unfortunately while infantry often

preceded the tank, often the infantry would

be right behind the tank, using it as cover.

(ever see the pictures of a whole german

squad behind a StugIII)

that the one, hehe, it looked so funny, they walked out coughing smile.gif

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

Guest Big Time Software

Coe, unfortunately we can't simulate the defensive benefit of walking behind a tank. Chek out the "I love CM but really hate it when..." thread (or whatever it is entitled smile.gif) for more details as to why.

I think of it as a wash. We also don't simulate the real disadvantage of being behind a tank either. Limited LOS for the infantry unit and, to a degree, a risk of being backed over. I have seen some documented accounts of this. Best one I can remember was a German attack on Kommerscheidt, where fire from distant M10s caused German tanks to suddenly back up during an attack in low light conditions. The whole attack was broken up because the tanks were scared and the infantry suffered many casualties from the tanks backing up without warning.

The case where infantry in a HT could shoot up is limited to a small number of situations and wasn't worth coding up IMHO.

Steve

Steve