Att: BTS - Large scenario for system testing?

Will the Gold Demo include a really large scenario so that we can test our hardware? If I manage to get my hands on the Gold Demo a month or so before the real thing, I might have time to get new hardware if I find that my current system can't handle it well enough! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

20 tanks a side?!? Wow... my knees are feeling a little weak. All these months trying to conserve my precious few Shermans and StuGs, and now I can play with 20? eek.gif The first thing I'll do is just send 'em all in at once, suicide or not, just to see what a REAL column of tanks looks like. smile.gif Man, I just can't get rid of this giddy feeling... kind of like the first time I saw the old Star Wars wireframe arcade game and played it when I was a little kid... does anyone else remember that, or does that date me too much? smile.gif

I remember a thread where Fionn said that

the BIGGEST scenario in the game only ran a

little slow on his system.(IIRC he said that

he had a 333AMD?)

..I hope Jason reads this and finds it!..

...Anyways,the thread seemed to say that

(and the scenario in question was reported

to be MASSIVE)no-one should have any trouble

at all running any Large Scenario...

..Testing?aside,a large one would be fun,though....

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

I couldn't find the exact thread that mch was referring to (it's there somewhere. hiding from me in the clutches of the search function)

But these two threads may give an idea as to how scenario size will affect turn resolution/frame rates on your machine.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/003533.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/003630.html

Jason - it's a bird, it's a plane, it's SearchingMan!! biggrin.gif

Able to leap a tall list of search results in a single mouse click tongue.gif

Esp.with all this I've heard about 1Gig

Chips lately...1 Corps a side smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

(hey!look at that!I'm a Member now!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 03-29-2000).]

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/002886.html

O.K.:This is the thread that deals with Large battles and System Req.

...The reference to the biggest scenario

in the game must have been in another post..

(my roving Alzheimer's again...)

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

I can say for sure that we aren't going to release a huge scenario with lots of vehicles for the Gold Demo. You freaks played the Beta Demo for nearly 6 months with medium sized ones smile.gif The demo is to promote the game and and confirm if the game can run on your system.

We have always said that if you are on the low end that the HUGE stuff would most likely be uncomfortable to play. And in terms of VRAM I can tell you very plainly that if you have no 3D card, or a 4MB one, I would pass on CM until you do. 8MB is just fine. So if you have a slow CPU and a really old Card, the HUGE battles are pretty much assured to not work well on your system.

Steve

Guest PeterNZ

So, BTS boys.. and rough suggestion of the scenarios in the Gold demo? smile.gif

(you knew it had to be asked hehe)

damn.. I have a 400 celeron with a 4mb righteous 1 and now it looks like i'm going to be hard pressed to play a game again frown.gif

Someone throw their old 3d card my way smile.gifsmile.gif

PeterNZ

Guest KwazyDog

Peter, on a 400 Celeron I think you will find CM will still play ok, even with the 4md card (well, depending on the speed of the card). The biggest thing you will notice is that textures will be scaled down to fit into vram, probably quite a bit.

Seriously though, good video cards are becomming cheaper and cheaper smile.gif Over here in Aus you can get TNT2 m64 32mb car (nice little card) for about $150, and we just sold a second hand voodoo 2 12mb for $50. I have had CM running on my second system which is a 400 Cel with a V2 and it runs well smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZ:

damn.. I have a 400 celeron with a 4mb righteous 1 and now it looks like i'm going to be hard pressed to play a game again frown.gif

Someone throw their old 3d card my way smile.gifsmile.gifPeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, check out PRICEWATCH.COM

You can get a creative 32meg savage 4 pro for under $60 bucs.

It's not the fastest card but it's still good.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Well, I made up a scenario for a PBEM game to test some defensive ideas I had.

The scenario features a dozen British tanks ( 3 Fireflies, 6 Cromwells and 3 Sherman IICs) and 4 German tanks, a couple of British recon cars, a couple of German prime-movers, two battalions of infantry ( 6 companies) and some infantry guns and off-board artillery.

I'm playing with trees on and scaling at +1 or +2 on a medium-sized map and am chugging along at 20 fps or so (more than fast enough).

It is actually turning out to be a fun battle. That should give you some idea of speed ( I run a 333 with 128 MB ram and an OLD 16 Mb 3D card which seems to be a bit the worse for wear wink.gif )

Well actually it is my attempt to see how much damage a totally outnumbered force can do.

I have 2 Jpz IVs, 2 Pz IVs, 2 IGs, 2 prime movers and 1 company of infantry.

I'm facing 12 tanks, a few scout cars. Some MAJOR arty ( I forget what Bil has but whatever it is blew up about 2 houses last turn) and 4 companies of infantry.

So far I've lost two tanks but have killed 4 and hit, penetrated and damaged 2 more.

So, Bil and I are down to about half-strength in tanks and it should result in an interesting end-game. I'll make the movie available on CMHQ once CM goes Gold of course.

P.s. Yes, I'm defending. Seeing as I'm outnumbered by slightly over 4 to 1 in infantry and 3 to 1 in tanks I figured I should defend wink.gif.

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 03-30-2000).]