After using up your ammo or no more targets?

After using up your ammo it would be be nice to see the unit HIDE or WITHDRAW in that turn.

Also if you have destroyed your target or elimnated it or it can not be fired on your unit should go into hiding if enemy fire is directed at him (this mostly applies to the foot soldier).

Boris, what if that unit, later that minute, then gets LOS to a target that you DO want him to shoot at? You'll wonder why your guys stay in hiding.

When you have a switch with two or more positions, there are always going to be people unhappy with the current setting.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boris Balaban:

After using up your ammo it would be be nice to see the unit HIDE or WITHDRAW in that turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't see a need for this "automatic" feature, because you can simply do this yourself in the next orders phase anyway.

Geez, it's like we want the computer to play for us, instead of us actually doing something. BTW, that's not directed toward you, Boris, but to everyone that keeps wanting these little automatic features that can already be accomplished by us manually.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Besides, Boris, I believe (IIRC) that infantry units never actually run out of ammo. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but when an infantry unit's ammo shows "low" it only fires in some special set of circumstances (no doubt range and/or threat related)

------------------

Combat Axiom 46. Do unto others, before they do unto you.

I am going to post the following line to every post I see of this nature.

"Remember folks each turn is ONE minute of real life."

------------------

"Trying to be so bad is bad enough. Don't make me laugh by talking tough."

If you made units withdraw, that might be a great deal worse than if they had stayed still. For example, I have a zook in a foxhole, surrounded by open ground. He fires his last round at a Tiger 50 yards away, missing. If he withdraws now that he's out of ammo, he moves into open ground, and gets blown away. If he stays still, he has a much better chance of surviving. It wouldn't be bad if they hid after their ammo was gone, though.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... Boris, I don't think these guys liked your idea smile.gif Seriously, all very good points as to why this wouldn't be a good thing. Yes, ammo for squads and small arms team weapons never runs out. WITHDRAW comes with a penalty that might make your units Panic. And I for one do not want the AI telling my units to pull back unless they are freaked out in some way. Picture that last round of ammo being shot at something 200m away... why should my unit WITHDRAW? Hiding also reduces the units ability to spot and imposes a small penalty in terms of reaction time. So I wouldn't want that to happen automatically either.

And to quote The King... one turn is only one minute, so this is something that can certainly be done the following turn.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-04-2000).]

All of you have good points.

I realy did not want to include regular infantry in my question (I should have taken my time typing it up) but it was for MGs and Zooks/Panzerschrecks.

The situation I had is my Panzerschreck unit took over a minute to get a kill on the Sherman 105 and I had 2 men still and 2 rounds left. The other 105 at over 300 meters now directed his fire on my team and they were still in the fox hole and stayed in it for the remainder of the turn (about 40 seconds) and as I replayed the video they did not try to hide (which I think it would give them better odds against getting a man killed) or run.

At the end of that turn I had two dead heroes for the Father Land.

Now maybe I am expecting too much for the game to do for I am an old board gamer and have played SL, ASL, Sniper, and Tobruk and games like that.

It's worth remembering that only YOU know for certain that your team has run out of ammo. Your opponent does not. Therefore in this context, the unit is still considered a threat to your opponent and can still come in handy as a bluff and decoy. Acting in a way that may indicate that it is out of ammo may give the bluff away.

Just trying to make the most out of nothing.

Lt. Bull

[This message has been edited by Lt Bull (edited 06-04-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Boris, you have to remember that looking at one or two instances means little when you are talking about stuff like "atomatic behavior". To even suggest such behavior you need to be very, very, very (and even one more smile.gif), VERY sure that this is the right thing *all* the time. Not many things pass this test.

I don't know exactly why your Schreck team didn't hit the dirt, but knowing how the code works the odds are that they would have gone to ground. My guess is that they were attempting to get a killing shot on that Sherman, but they lost the challenge. They might have been Fanatic, wich would make them more likely to risk a shot in a dangerous situation.

Next time you play pay attention to how many guys hit the dirt on their own when under enemy fire and you will see for yourself that most of the time this is what happens. The example you cited is just that... one example, and therefore statistically irrelevant.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Boris, you have to remember that looking at one or two instances means little when you are talking about stuff like "atomatic behavior". To even suggest such behavior you need to be very, very, very (and even one more smile.gif), VERY sure that this is the right thing *all* the time. Not many things pass this test.

I don't know exactly why your Schreck team didn't hit the dirt, but knowing how the code works the odds are that they would have gone to ground. My guess is that they were attempting to get a killing shot on that Sherman, but they lost the challenge. They might have been Fanatic, wich would make them more likely to risk a shot in a dangerous situation.

Next time you play pay attention to how many guys hit the dirt on their own when under enemy fire and you will see for yourself that most of the time this is what happens. The example you cited is just that... one example, and therefore statistically irrelevant.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-04-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your explanation.

You have given me a better understanding on what goes on in the game.

Guest Big Time Software

No problem! The more I think about it, the more I suspect that these guys were Fanatics. Sometimes a BAD thing to be smile.gif Fanatics think they are invincible, but sometimes High Explosives have a way of proving otherwise wink.gif

Steve