What's Odd About This Picture?

Er, psssst...smbutler... Theyr're not Wehrmacht..., they're Luftwaffe.

BTW, why the specific interest in killing axis soldiers? I'm just asking you know.

------------------

Combat Axiom #6. Incoming fire has the right of way.

[This message has been edited by Juju (edited 05-23-2000).]

I thought the Luftwaffe was one of the three branches in 'Das Deutsche Heer,' namely, Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine??

------------------

Guest JonS

almost...

Heer = army

Kreigsmarine = navy

Lufwaffe = airforce

SchutzStaffel = SS smile.gif

Whermacht = Armed Forces

------------------

Ubique

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

I thought the Luftwaffe was one of the three branches in 'Das Deutsche Heer,' namely, Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything living close to, on or in the dirt is the Heer (a former Air Force soldier speaking). The Wehrmacht was the institution incorporating Heer, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine, AFAIK.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest JonS

Juju - IIRC you're right about the SS not being part of the Whermacht. I included them as a kind of joke - hence the smily smile.gif

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

The SS as a whole... no

the Waffen-SS... yes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think that's correct... Don't ask me to prove it though.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

You guys are hard up for entertainment...I hope the game ships soon. smile.gif

However, since you got me interested here is some information for your vast files.

There were in actuality five classes of the Knights Cross.

1. Knights Cross

2. w/Oakleaves

3. w/Oakleaves & Swords

4. w/Oakleaves, Swords and diamonds (of which there were no less than 27 awards)

5. w/GOLD Oakleaves, swords and diamonds. (Presented to Oberst Rudel on 1 Jan 45.) There were possibly as many as six of this medal struck..all for Rudel. He retained one at wars end. Another ended up in the pocket of an American GI. Another one found its way into the hands of a British officer and the others, if they existed, have never surfaced.

Just thought you might be interested.

Ref: For Fuhrer and Fatherland by John R. Angolia 1976.

PS...There was no stipulation that the KC had to be awarded by Hitler personally. In the early years he signed the award document as time permitted, or a fascimile.

Hitler did personally present the KC with Oakleaves, Swords and diamonds.

------------------

When the situation is obscure....attack!

CGen. Heinz Guderian

Quote (Gordon Williamson)

------------------------

...Hitler was forced in 1938 to clarify the situation, writing that in time of 'national emergency' the SS-VT (verfugungstruppe, from may 1940 known as Waffen SS) would be used for two purposes: 'By the Commander-in-chief of the Army within the framework of the army. It will then be subject exclusively to military law and instructions; Politically however, IT WILL REMAIN A BRANCH OF THE NSDAP';adding, 'at home, in accordance eith my instructions, IT WILL BE UNDER THE ORDERS OF THE REICHSFUEHREr SS'.

-----------------------------

Phew, anyway, Berli, I guess we're both a bit right.

------------------

Nice Juju, 20 minutes or so to find that piece?

well done smile.gif

Isn't this stuff just amazing. From the prewar Freikorps (sic) and political situation to their manufacturing and enginering, military personalities, propaganda and command structure etc Germany just blows me away.

Not that the Allies don't have good stories too wink.gif

Guest Frankrad

The "odd" thing about this picture is that they are not wetting their pants in some Russian POW camp, or getting slaughtered by hardy, ordinary US citizen soldiers. "Germans were the Best Troops" my ass.

Guest Big Time Software

Hey, let's knock off the partisan crap. This BBS is not the place for nationalistic history grudge matches, but rather historical discussion as related to CM. Anybody who rather use it as a sounding board for other things can kindly do it elsewhere.

As an American with a degree in History, I can think of plenty of things this country has done that has put us, rightly so, on the **** lists of millions of people (the ones we didn't kill that is). And I know I don't take kindly to people talking about my country and fellow country men in such broad ways, even if some of them have comitted horrible atrocities upon others. And if you can't think of at least two or three good examples of the US causing unjustified and unlawful misery, suffering, and mass death upon the peoples of other nations then you don't know your US history very well. Although I am proud to be an American, there are many things we have done as a nation that can only be looked upon with great shame and disgust.

Steve

P.S. I am closing this up in the hopes that it ends here. Well, except for von Lucke coming back and telling us what we were supposed to notice smile.gif My bet is that it was the obvious we hit upon right away.