What is "trolling"?

Could someone be so nice to explain to me what "trolling" means? I did a search on this, but since I am no native speaker I can´t get the point, although it seemed to be connected with flaming.

My dictionary is not very helpful either (troll = monster; to troll = to roll, turn, tumble???)

Thank you, smile.gif

------------------

DaMilli

Trolling comes from the fishing term. You bait a hook and drag it along behind the boat try to cath something.

A troll on the board is when someone throws some bait out , usually a topic that will cause other to respond, and waits for others to bite.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Could someone be so nice to explain to me what "trolling" means?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I consulted my Dungeons and Dragons Player Manual but couldn't find the answer. Hmm...maybe it's in the Dungeon Master's Guide. I'll get back to you.

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

Mwuaahaaa!

None of the above...

Eventhough I should say the Norwegian way of life has some appeal when your not a Penguins.

Behold the Truth is that uncanny definition.

If I am to believe the definition in "Ia Shubb Hamsteräht", Trolling is a sexual perversion with and not limited to Trolleys.

If you're looking for Truth, do a SEARCH under "Caddying & Posting".

I can't explain here what are those but here is a very graphical link.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007077.html

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Degrees of Frost:

Interesting - I always it was a Norwegian sport that involved torturing penguins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you live in the southern hemisphere?! Norwegians have no access to Penguins, a creature of the Antarctic, and other south polar realms. The term you are thinking of is 'tarolling' and involves Norwegians doing something uspeakably unpleasant to puffins.

Others, like Lorak, have pointed out that 'trolling' as used on message boards, means posting a 'bait' post, in many cases something the original poster may not actually believe or have any particular stake in, in hopes of elliciting responses, usually negative, and causing the message Board to degenerate into pointless argument and name calling.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Please do not feed the grag.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what FB means by that is that you should just ignore trolls instead of rising to the bait, because ignoring them will cause them to go away and troll elsewhere. Although that would of course not have worked for Bilbo...

------------------

Andreas

Actually Trolls is one of the things Germanboy's countrymen buys by the ton when they visit Norway (God bless them). Funny but I always thought Trolls belonged in Nordic mythology, well who cares now we Norwegians got two world known words, Trolls and Quisling heh heh.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by howardb:

Actually Trolls is one of the things Germanboy's countrymen buys by the ton when they visit Norway (God bless them). Funny but I always thought Trolls belonged in Nordic mythology.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tolkien is the answer to the Germans' desire for little troll figures.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

And you live in the southern hemisphere?! Norwegians have no access to Penguins, a creature of the Antarctic, and other south polar realms. The term you are thinking of is 'tarolling' and involves Norwegians doing something uspeakably unpleasant to puffins.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never claimed it was a TRADITIONAL norwegian pastime (like tarolling) - they ship the penguins in special. Like Aquavit a penguin is much better for trolling if it has crossed the equator a couple of times, which means penguin breeding farms have failed to spring up across Norway to cater for this particular perversion.