What's With This Hamster Infatuation?

In the CC2 Main on the Zone, we had guys who couldn't stop talking about sheep. Now, I come over here and it's hamsters. Someone let me in on this little joke as I've read the posts for weeks now and still don't know what the hell you people are talking about.

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

Guest barrold713

I think to inflatuate one would be sucking wind instead of breaking it.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

The whole hamster thing is a mildly (sometimes more, sometimes less) amusing whimsy that kind of pokes fun at the VERY serious way most of us take the military history stuff.

By the way, inflatulation is a late design weapons technique designed by the Hamster SS. It was based on an organically created Hamster nerve gas that could be lit on fire.

I suspect the original hamster reference was derived from the line in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" in which the French guard in the tower says "Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries." It may have been the other way around smile.gif There were whole threads that "went Python" fairly quickly.

After that came the SS thread and from there it "evolved" to chinchillas and various other rodents. Some efforts were made to bring critters from other than the Order Rodentia into the picture but they were roundly shouted down as being gamey and ahistorical.

Most of the learned scholars of hamster lore can now be found on the "Peng" thread.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

I am not even sure what Inflatuate is!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inflatulation; (noun)

1. Inflatulation a type of gas developed in the 1930's to cause discomfort or temporary disablement.

2. To Inflatulate (verb) an area, room or person.

3. To infest an area with rodents in an attempt to render such area unusable to humans.

4. Hamster inflatulation, deemed inhumane and outlawed by the 6th. Geneva convention, August 17th. 1947, Geneva Switzerland.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-25-2000).]

Actually the reason most of us "in the know" partake on Hamster dribble is due to the fact there were real top secret Hamster troops utilized in WWII on underground missions (through camo'd habitrail tubes) for the Reich. I could tell you of many, many operations they undertook but I swore to my great great German grandmother that I would never tell a soul. Just suffice it to say that if Hitler had not buggered up some of their greatest battle plans (among other things), the Axis probably, in my best estimate, would have altered the course of the war. If left alone to their devices, the current world would probably be speaking in rodent tongues an munching on cabbage. O well...

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

[This message has been edited by Grognerd_Fogman (edited 09-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Grognerd_Fogman (edited 09-25-2000).]

I dunno Colonel. These kids now-a-days, whatayagonnado. Next thing you know, they'll be listening to the Hampsta rappers. OOga OOga, back at hampsta up, OOga be a fine lil furry tail, back dat hampsta up...

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Now, I come over here and it's hamsters. Someone let me in on this little joke as I've read the posts for weeks now and still don't know what the hell you people are talking about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joke? THere's nothing funny about it. If you can't be bothered to learn your history, then I suppose it may be very funny to you, but to the millions that suffered through the war, it wasn't a laughing matter I assure you.

Clay-

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

AFAIK, it all started with an innocuous thread entitled something like "SS are overpriced hamsters!" I'm sure a search on SS, overpriced and hamsters would teach you more than you really want to know about this topic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was indeed the original reference to hamsters on this board. A flight of invective simile born of frustration at the performance of my veteran SS troops in battle one foggy night.

I tell "Knock! Knock!" jokes as well.....

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

A moment of silence please for all the Hampsters who perished in the habitrails...

What we need here obviously, is atonement. I believe some self inflicted punishment is in order. For all those who have laughed at something on this forum, please swallow your tooth paste tonight. And if you know of anyone who has laughed on one of the WWI forums, tell them that us WWII forum guys ain't gonna stand for it no more. This is serious business. We should all be making accusations instead of having fun. What's a matter with everyone anyhow?

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-25-2000).]

I have found the source of the Hampster Obsession.

Look at the Main Screen when you start up the game... The painting of the Shermans on the road with the Tiger burning in the background.

Now, look closely at the hatches on the lower deck of the lead Sherman. You will see a hamster on the left and a mouse on the right (driver's hatch).

I'll leave it to the experts to post a picture of it here. But I get credit for spotting the subliminal suggestion first.

Matt Hyra

[This message has been edited by citizen (edited 09-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have found the source of the Hampster Obsession.

Look at the Main Screen when you start up the game... The painting of the Shermans on the road with the Tiger burning in the background.

Now, look closely at the hatches on the lower deck of the lead Sherman. You will see a hamster on the left and a mouse on the right (driver's hatch).

I'll leave it to the experts to post a picture of it here. But I get credit for spotting the subliminal suggestion first.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy crap! You ain't kidding! I see what appears to be a hampster but can't make out the mouse. Still, I have to say, that is a strange coincidence.

And to add more weirdness to it all, I spot on the back of my German half-tracks what appears to be some sort of rodent mixed in with the camoflauge. I'm not sure if these are mods or not as I have forgotten what I added. Anyway, I swear to you I can see beady, little eyes and a sinister smile in the paint job. Am I losing my mind or are these things multiplying?

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.