Run for it!!!

"a magic Wand of Fireballs "

LOL. Good line. Radios win battles, 'struth.

Kind of a long mechanical lock time as sidearms go, though (similar to the grease gun: pull trigger, wait, repeat).

I would want some spray-and-pray beyond that single-action 8 banger.

The radio is it...an FO's tool of the trade.

If German I'd have to go with the MP-40, light, short range and looks too cool for words. smile.gif

If Allied, BAR then M1 Garand. BAR is heavy but it barks as well as bites. M1 is just reliable, accurate and the best semi auto rifle of the war. By the way..someone wondered what the M1 chambered.... .30-06 not .308. FYI.

Out here...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jager 7:

If Allied, BAR then M1 Garand. BAR is heavy but it barks as well as bites. M1 is just reliable, accurate and the best semi auto rifle of the war. By the way..someone wondered what the M1 chambered.... .30-06<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Respectfully disagree with a couple of points, realizing that this IS a thread about personal preferences (you must be a large man).

BAR weighs 16-18 lbs. unloaded (depending on version). Put wheels on it, for chrissakes. It was designed to "assault-walk" in WWI trench warfare. Very reliable, it was no squad support weapon, and assault walking went out with mustard gas and 18-man crew AFVs. It had a small (20 rd.) box mag and, paraphrasing Hogg & Weeks, it was too heavy for shoulder firing and too light for an MG. Not saying it didn't work, but you can have it. I've never shot one but I've picked them up.

As for M1 Garand being best semi-auto of the war: you can make a strong case for this based on its longevity, reliability, and numbers. BUT it was the last of the high-powered Mohicans, because it stopped short of full-auto and was over-powered for a lot of shooters, way over-powered for full-auto use (like BAR).

As soon as that war was over everybody who mattered built their own version of MP44, because it was the "next wave": the assault (OK, "storm") rifle, with selectable fire and a manageable cartridge. There is a straight line from MP44 to: M14, M16, FN/FAL, Galil, AK47 & SKS, and the other infantry weapons of the present day. Being first it was a heavy bastard, too (2lbs. heavier than M1), but with the light cartridge was highly accurate. Synthetics and R&D developed the concept after the war.

If I was a WWII grunt at the smorgasbord of bullet-launchers, the MP44 would win hands down (it did have its downsides, like commonality of ammo with other platoon weapons). As any kind of crewman, RTO, or staff jock, I like MP40.

Other things work. These were the best, IMO. And don't EVER underestimate the K98 Mauser (or the '03, for that matter).

Mark IV said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As for M1 Garand being best semi-auto of the war: you can make a strong case for this based on its longevity, reliability, and numbers. BUT it was the last of the high-powered Mohicans, because it stopped short of full-auto and was over-powered for a lot of shooters, way over-powered for full-auto use (like BAR).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same case could be made that the P51 was the last and best of the Prop-Driven Mohicans. As you know, the era of jet began towards the end of WWII. Still, the P51 would be an incredibly devestating choice of an aircraft in it's historical context. Similarly, while the MP44 is an extremely power firearm, a semi-auto .30-06 like the Garand ain't nothin' to giggle at.

Cheers!

maus

------------------

V

ozo

------------------

The who with the what now? ......Where's my medication?!

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 06-16-2000).]

Mark IV said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>LOL. Good line. Radios win battles, 'struth. Kind of a long mechanical lock time as sidearms go, though<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long lock times lead to accuracy. I learned to shoot with a flintlock rifle starting when I was 5 (I wonder how many folks born in the 20th Century can say that?). I was "issued" this weapon because, being a muzzle-stuffer, I could load a reduced charge so the recoil didn't flatten me. Of course, the rifle was twice my length so Dad would squat and hold it at the balance like he was an MG tripod--it would still swivel around but wouldn't nose over. I had to learn to hold my sight picture steady throughout the long CLICK...POOF!...BANG of the flintlock, even with the pan charge going off in my face. This served me quite well in later life biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would want some spray-and-pray beyond that single-action 8 banger.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got that covered with the radio until the badguys get to grenade range (I have an E-tool so I'm in a hole), then I have the grenades. The .45 is only for anything that survives all that but is still outside E-tool range. Besides, you don't need to spray and pray with the M1911. One shot, one kill. It was designed to drop charging, PCP-crazed Penglanders in their tracks, you know wink.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark.

-Flashman

Personal choice for top firearm?

Thats got to be the M41A pulse rifle, firing 10mm caseless standard light armour piercing rounds with 30mm over and under pump action grenade launchers.

That'll take care of those pesky aliens. hehe

Guest grunto

-Russia I'd go for the incredibly sturdy submachinegun of theirs. Was it the PPSH or something like that?-

the 7.62x25 was superlative smg ammo. i'll second that smg vote. i would take that over any smg of any nationality in the war.

that could be my sidearm to the bar.. say a german static unit had a cache of them from russia and we as amis captured that cache, and i made one my sidearm.. then i could have a .45 cal pistol as my 'other backup.'

you know what was very cool was the .30 cal american carbine. tough little weapon at close range. 15 rounds of pistol ammo on steroids shot from a 'mini-rifle'. i'll bet those officers and ncos could carry a ton of that ammo.

yeah give me the carbine in a pinch. very similar are the marlin carbines of today. the camp .45 is very cool. i'll bet that would have been the officer weapon of choice in ww2... it takes .45 colt magazines.

i wonder why the u.s. didn't make a .45 carbine for officers? is the .30 cal easier to mass produce? 'everyone' was making those.

'gun store cowboy' -g-

andy

MarkIV you kill me...LOL

It's as if no one else here has ever studied these things, or USED them for real.

You can debate book figures and stats all day long and all it ends up looking like is Ford better than GMC or Chevy. It is all a huge matter of opinion. My basis for the "antiquated" BAR was based on my interviews with WWII Marine vets who happened to use them and by the way, swear by them, on the islands during WWII. That's good enough for me. It was heavy and it only had 20 rounds...but it served a very useful purpose and was quite well liked by those who carried them.

I am quite well versed in the "intermediate cartridge" development starting before the much loved MP 44...and going down the line to the AK-47, AKM, M-16, Galil, et al...and I understand all the reasoning behind adopting an intermediate vice a full powered cartridge. Years ago, I went through a phase where everything WWII German was cool and "better". I have learned that is just not so.

Mark IV,

Didn't mean to come off too strong. Yes, you had some good comments and I noted that it was your opinion. A little curious about the Dodge Dakota 4x4 though...might you not consider a Ford Expedition...large vehicle, enclosed...lots of power....just a consideration?

I do enjoy the discussions on this board and the give and take from everyone. Have a great day and weekend!

Out here....

Amis: Have to go with the M-1 Garand (Can reach out, also semi-auto).

Brit/Commenwealth: Tie between Sten and Bren (Automatic fire)

Germans: I'd be happy carrying around a MP40. Even though it's a bit heavy, the Amis feared it.

And for the record, I'd take the Bren carrier with mounted PIAT and Bren as a vehicle or the M8 Greyhound w/flamethrower. (actually saw that, incredible) biggrin.gif

------------------

Guest Zulu1

I would choose a key. And that key would fit the lock on the cage that would fit all the old bastards who started the frigging war. Then I would put the cage on a barge and tow it out to sea open the stopcocks and toss the key into the ocean. That is the way to fight a war.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zulu1:

I would choose a key. And that key would fit the lock on the cage that would fit all the old bastards who started the frigging war. Then I would put the cage on a barge and tow it out to sea open the stopcocks and toss the key into the ocean. That is the way to fight a war. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Horses**t. In some perfect world, it might prevent one, but it is not the way to fight one.

Get yourself some landing craft and AP in the tube and a WHOLE BUNCH of HE dialed-in, and make a real difference in people's lives.

Sometimes there really are good guys and bad guys at the top. Tell the difference. Take stands. Buy War Bonds.

Bullethead, I'm an old muzzleloader myself. I even learned to build my own guns. Your'right, they're a great way to learn to shoot.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Didn't Hitler order the MP44 to be renamed the Sturmgewehr 44? I thought MP was meant to confuse the allies into think it was an SMG.

But I would take a Ppsh41G ... if it's good enough for Krauts to drop their MP40's its good enough for me ... 70 rounds that's all there is to it.