Gamespot Review

Guest Commando

The sounds, sights, and FEEL of the game are the most realistic I have ever seen in a wargame. 10/10.

------------------

You're playing a wargame, when suddenly you throw yourself on the floor and yell "No! Take me!", when you realize your favourite unit was just destroyed by the computer AI.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sniperscope:

That review got me pissed. They gave sounds only a 7. BULLS**T. The sounds in this game are one of it's best componets.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a grip on reality. The Sounds are great,agreed,but a 9.1 is a great overall score and 7 *ain't* that bad..

Its not like they panned it for gods sake..

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage

The sounds for the game are better than a 7. Thats the only point I was making. The review is wrong in that area.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reviews are very subjective. I like Hot Chicken Wings. Some wings other consider hot seem mild to me..

See what I am saying. You are preaching to the choir here. Being enthusiastic is one thing,Being a Zealot is another. Zealots are often discounted by non-beleivers. Just enjoy the game and save your energy to make more converts.

Just my 2 cents. I could understand jumping up and down if they gave it a 3 or something..

------------------

-Rookie

Gamespot gave a very good review. Often a score like 9.1/10 would tip the scale on whether I would buy a game that looked interesting. Ask yourself how many people have the gamespot link as one of thier favorites. I know I do. This is a big plus for CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John-SJ:

The good news is that Gamespot allows player reviews. 9.1 *is* good overall, but I agree with sniperscope, CM's sound is better than a 7!

John-SJ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read my notes. I did not disagree but there is no need to get aggravated over a 7 and start sounding like a lunatic.

It sounds like the old "My Dad can beat up your Dad" argument...

------------------

-Rookie

There is a danger in giving too high scores accross the board. Depending on the player, this or that detail might not meet his expectations. 10/10 would mean you're at perfection. A little room for manouver is realistic and very subjective. Moreover, high scores in the graphics department could have some grogs thinking it's just flash. The important thing is that the review was clear on that CM is a serious,competent and fresh approach to wargaming.

Ok time out. I am not "preaching" to anybody here. But I am stating a strong opinion. Let me back up a second and just state that "I" think the review is wrong. Nothing more.

snipercope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sniper,

I meant you're not going to get any arguments here that CM's sound is in anyway subpar. But you can't write a review that leaves no room for improvement. When CM2 comes out if this one had a 10 would you expect an 11?

You just seemed too mad for a good review,thats all. Lighten up. You don't wanna have your face freeze up with your teeth clenched like that. wink.gif

------------------

-Rookie

Guest aaronb

There is an error on the review page. The link to Big Time Software goes directly to Avalon Hill's web site! Unbelievable, and something that BTS might want to complain about.

I just started this topic to alert everyone to the fact that another major games site has given a positive review of CM. If you do not agree with their review, POST YOUR OWN.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

We also have to be mindful of one other thing: For a site that reviews both computer and console games for multiple genres, the reviewers can get a bit jaded in their expectations to be "dazzled", especially concerning the graphics/sound elements. (The Gamespot review gave a 7 to graphics also.)

But I'm well acquainted with the style of Bruce Geryk's reviews of "historical strategy games" at this site and others, and he's not a slouch at this job. And it really is a challenge for ANY game to get even an overall 9.0 or better at Gamespot.

Some examples of Bruce's comment's below:

----------------------------

......."Many game players associate computer wargames with stuffy, turn-based strategy games that look a lot like the old board games that reached their height of popularity in the late '70s. Combat Mission brings wargaming up to modern standards without compromising realism and historical accuracy. The most striking aspect of Combat Mission is its fully 3D graphics engine, which, although not up to today's highest standards for computer-game graphics, nevertheless does a good job of presenting a believable World War II battlefield in such a way that hasn't been seen before in the genre."

......"Combat Mission is as instantly exciting as a real-time game, but it allows for detailed strategic planning as well. The action phase can be replayed multiple times and from any angle, and it can be rewound, fast-forwarded, or paused. This makes it easy to find out exactly what happened to each unit, even in large scenarios. This combination of action and strategy is something that hasn't ever been achieved so successfully in a wargame."

........"Combat Mission is sure to appeal to anyone interested in serious military simulations, but even those just looking for a good World War II computer game should find that the game has a lot to offer. The point-and-click interface is just about as intuitive as possible, and there's an excellent tutorial scenario accompanied by a detailed, step-by-step walk-through in the manual. Combat Mission should appeal to anyone looking for a challenging strategy game, as well as anyone that is even remotely interested in the 20th century's biggest war. If you're interested in immersive strategic gameplay with a historical focus, but you've always thought wargames to be too complicated or too dry, then Combat Mission is for you."

------------------------

Pretty supportive pitch, I'd say.

I think this is an excellent review. IMO Bruce Geryk is probably the most insightful reviewer of wargames that I have come across and to get this score from him is praise indeed. I look forward to seeing his second opinion piece in gamesdomain (following Tim Chown's excellent primary review).

I actually think getting sub-perfect scores in things like sounds etc., is good - irrespective of whether you believe the sounds are perfect. Nothing discredits a review in art or science more than a perfect score. People naturally assume the reviewer has "gone native" and cannot be trusted to provide an objective opinion.

Anyway if the sounds were perfect MadMatt would be wasting his time right and I'm sure nobody would believe such a preposterous suggestion.

Joe

Guest Madmatt

Let me weigh in as someone, who next to Charles, probably spent more time on the sounds (voices at least) then anyone else involved in Combat Mission. I completely accept and agree with the "7" ratings on the sounds.

This is one area that I believe will be dramatically improved for CM-2.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

I'll tell you why it only got a 7 for sound.

THERES NO COOL FUNKY TECHNO-WAVE SOUND TRACK!

Nor did BTS hire some eccentric Euro-Alternative band to play during credit rolls.

So BTS better pay attention next time to "industry standards" if they want a higher rating.

Lets hope not smile.gif

The Big GreasyPig

hehe

[This message has been edited by GreasyPig (edited 07-06-2000).]

Greasy, that was right on!

I, too, am a devotee of Mr. Geryk and he is one of the best reviewers on the net. Most on-lines reviews, imo, are written by 19 yr old morons and you can tell that 1) they don't know how to write effectively and 2) was a slacker in REALLY playing and playtesting the game. Bruce Geryk is an exception.

As far as sounds, what would be perfect sound would be if it accurately simulated reality. In anyone of those battles, imagine if you were to capture and hear the actual sounds from WW2. It would be so loud and chaotic and filled with inane chatter most of the time, that it would render the game unlistenable. BTS obviously obviously selected only those sounds that are pertinent to gameplay without overwhelming the user.