Kelly`s Heroes

Im completing work on a set of kellys hereos scenarios and need some help. When Im setting up a battle can I use individual unit members instead of units of 10, i.e. to set up the characters from the film.

I`ve just set up the final village ( bank heist ) sceen and will need to do some more work on the railroad complex battle from the film.

Guest Simon

As far as making out the idividuals that's not really possible but having done some of my own Kelly's Hereos stuff (including the railyard battle, which is on my page) This

is my suggestion:

1 Platoon HQ (Kelly) he's a busted Lt. but for all intents and purposes is still an Lt. when things get going.

1 Squad name it "Joe" (Sereant Joe of course)

then in the editor "split" it.

1 Sharpshooter (forget the guys name)

3 30 caliber teams.. One named Crapgame of course. Two 30's were on the wall in the "minefield" battle. Use the third one to simulate a BAR, OR split a second squad and delete one of the teams.

So you end up with a Plt. HQ, two or three "teams", and 2 (overmanned but you can't do anything about that) .30 calibers.

In the movie thay had roughly 13 or 16 men.

near as I can tell. This get you to about 20 or 25 men with the right spread of weapons.

I tried doing a Minefield ambush scenario with this setup. Unfortunately the AI can't be forced to drive it's squads to the objective in their trucks, and the HQ wont stay in the Kubelwagon for anything... even if you set the turn length to pressure it into driving it would rather lose the game than drive it's troops.

------------------

Simon

http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/ammodump/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon:

1 Sharpshooter (forget the guys name)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, being a self proclaimed King of knowledge when it comes to this movie, his name was....

Katowski

pronounced...

Cat-ow-ski

Just wanted to be of help. smile.gif

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

[This message has been edited by GI Tom (edited 07-24-2000).]

Berlichten's and Simon's advice are about the best you are going to get with the current limitations in the scenario editor.

When I did SPR at Ramelle, I had to make a group (chose Co HQ to get a captain, renamed him Miller) and considered this group that tiny knot of heroes, Miller, Ryan, Rieben, Upham and one paratrooper for good measure.

The MG teams were easy enough. Sgt Horvath became Corportal Horvath with a bazooka, Jackson took a sniper's role.

So you'll have to do the old "improvise and overcome" thing, but its worth it. I still love playing Saving Private Ryan at Ramelle"

If one of that five man team is left, he is Private Ryan, the last to go. wink.gif

Good luck with it, DB!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

I'm using two half squads, a platoon commander a sharpshooter and two LMGs. Seems to be working well enough.

EDIT: Ya gotta watch real careful-like to catch the significance, but that rail yard incident is actually part of a river crossing. There were two rivers they had to cross and that was the first. Only the second one was shown in the film though. Be sure to throw a bridge in at the end of that one. smile.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 07-24-2000).]

At least they tried to make the tigers look real. I still remember laughing out loud at Patton when i saw the "german" equipment.

You know with todays computer graphics you could actually make a movie with lots of correctly modelled tanks. Someone need to make Kursk or El Alemain the movie. Second thought considering hollywoods recent track record maybe thats not such a good idea 8)

Yeah but hollywood always seems to screw things up and make their CG work look catoony and just plain crappy. When making Alien/Sci-fi stuff it turns out OK, but when maiking real-life vehicles and such they never seem to get it right.

Did you know that the Higgins Boats (real ones)in Saving Private Ryan were loaned from some rich American war nut? Maybe he has a German or Russian Counterpart with a couple dozen Tigers.

Gotta admit, KH paid a lot more attention to detail for its era than one would normally expect. How many other movies have you seen an M3 halftrack with 75mm? Highly cool. Dressing up the T34s as Tigers was a stroke of genius, though the camo could have been better.

------------------

There was some rumor that that is what Speilberg was doing for SPR, and when I saw the finished version, I was a little (very little) disappointed that he hadn't had perfect ones built. Most everyone except the illuminated, were fooled by the tanks used, and even the ones in KH, but I had high hopes that if Speilburg built two or three scale Tigers we might have seen them in all subsequent movies, thus ending forever the "germanification" of Shermans, M-47's and M-48's which we have all seen before. A shame. The running gear would be the hard part. You couldn't do that with fiberglass. That was really the give away in SPR and KH, though the KH Tigers had the turret WAY too far forward. I've heard the same for the SPR turrets, but it doesn't seem so bad. Might have been better camera angles. Any body know if they might have even been the same tanks?

Zamo

If you want a really bad war film see the Battle of El Alamein by Giorgio Ferroni

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6301540867/qid%3D964619238/104-0408458-0735905

It's from the Italian perspective (with subtitles). Not only does it upgrade an Italian unit (can't remmber which one) from a Brigade to an Armoured Division but also fails to realise that the British attack on the south of the line was only a feint.

In the film the Italians down south hold the "main" British assault only for the Germans to the north to crumble to a much weaker attack. (If I've got this slightly wrong then its my bad memory, i checked a series of sources when I saw the film a few years ago and they had, even in 1970ish still fallen for Montys disception plan) This even manages to beat U557 as a complete re-write of History

Actually its wasn't suprizing that the Britsish attack failed as they seemed to attack the dug in Italians in a mixture of jeeps and M113 "tanks".

It was also interesting to see the British portrayed as the brutal bad guys for a change

Its a must laugh at film.

Private Pike:

I saw this movie while in England and I thought it was hilarious as well. What was interesting was seeing us good guys (How we brits view ourselves) depicted as the evil aggressors.

If its any consolation Italians think this movie is a joke as well 8)

There's a very good film, almost a comedie-noir, about the campaign in East Africa. Everyone manages to come out looking good with no obvious bad guys. Damned if I can remember the name of it though....

------------------