ANZAC DAY

Guest PeterNZ

I wanted to go to a dawn ceremony, but i was feeling a bittoo sick.. and din't know where any where, (I decided last night)

PeterNZ

I was in Ballarat once, and on a drive went down the boulevard where they have a tree for each of the local lads who died in WWI, with a plaque and a soldier's name on each.

Lots of trees. Big old hardwoods now. I thought it was one of the best hometown memorials I'd ever seen. There's a big stone arch at the beginning, and the arch is echoed by the boughs of the trees for a very, very long way.

There's a second-hand bookstore in town (the best kind, new books have no character and usually cost more) where I picked up some Digger lore that I cherish to this day. "Anzac to Amiens" is my favorite (despite the title, mostly about Gallipoli).

My keenest memory of my short trip to Oz is those trees, though.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 04-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My keenest memory of my short trip to Oz is those trees, though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They sure do go a long way mate. Every time I travel through them I try and count how many men must have fallen just from this country town. Scary stuff. </p>

Bruce</p>

Guest KwazyDog

It was a rainy day where I am for it. It seemed to fit the occasion though.

They always march rain, hail or shine.

A scarey thought, the population of Ballaarat is just over 60,000, the Brits lost that many soldiers in one days fighting on the Western Front. A very sobering thought, the entire population of Ballaarat gone in a days fighting, then there was the other side. What a waste of young lives, Lest we forget.

Goodwood

I had read that there was some sort of ceremony at the Turkish town nearest Gallipoli that was attended by the Australian & NZ PMs (& the Turkish Foreign Minister). Apparently thousands of student Aussies & Kiwis "pilgrimaged" to there for the ceremony.

Yeah, I'm workin' on being the Antartic correspondent for AP. "Penguins... they do the strangest things.....". biggrin.gif

I have always gotten tears in my eyes whenever I hear the Eric Brougal (?) song: "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda". Lest we forget! Let's all pray CM is the closest any of us ever come to war again...

Zamo