Not-so-Superbowl Update

Sorry its been a while. I have been very busy as of late. The rules to this tourney are done and I will be e-mailing them to all participants tonight. Please read through them and let me know through e-mail what your thoughts are.

BTW, I have a nifty suprise for the winner. Details to be revealed at a later date.

VS

looking forward to it buddy, getting some practise in on 800 pointers. do you think players should not be able to play all battles in a round as on side, ie play at least one allied and one axis batle??

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

I want players to be able to play whatever side they can agree upon. I left it open hoping people can go with what they like. As posted in the rules, if players cant agree upon the nationalities I will choose sides for them randomly.

One problem I am seeing in returned e-mails is that several people are on vacation now and others are about to take theirs. We need to find a date that all will be around for a while.

Also, I have yet to receive answers from a few participants. Everybody should send an e-mail to me stating their understanding of the rules.

Von Shrad wrote to us in an email:

“Also, there was a mention in a return to me of set-up. This player was

concerned with the possibility of a initiating player giving themselves

extra points, changing the unit experience...etc. I hope this wouldn't

be a problem but I could just be naive. One possibility would be for me to

do the set-up and send it along choosing a password for the player. But

that would mean that I would have to sit it out. If I do sit out I can also

choose sides for all but I really didnt want to. What do you guys think?”

I for one would trust him to do a set up and send it to me. For that matter I’d trust anyone in the tournament to do the same. After all this is the Not-So-Superbowl, not THE Superbowl.

What do the rest of the N-S-S players think?

Ok, Guys...

Looks like this is shaping up to be a lot of fun.

As for worring about people making the quick battles to their liking? I think we all need to have a little trust, and some common sense.

It should be standard for the person making the map to give his enemy some knowledge. Neither side sees the map before buying units, so just give him the paramiters you used.

Small map,

Village

mod hills

mod trees

weather.

Just to be fair.

I also think that since this is a skill (or lack of) test. That meeting engagments should be the norm.

As for players only wanting to play one side?

I think it is bad form.. but it really wouldn't bother me.

Any other comments? ideas?

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

I would say lets trust the other players. Most of the E-mails I have received from players state that they don't believe cheating will be a problem.

As to the map layout, I just forgot about those settings. I think it best to have all maps in a round the same kind so that the initiating player does not have an unfair advantage. I will send an updated rules set including these so just save the new set.

Also, there is still a few players I can't get a hold of. We should give them some more time I think though. What kind of time limit do you think we should set for the first round. I don't want to rush you guys but at the same time it should'nt last too long.

VS

I've never purchased units. I'd prefer to purchase units automatically but hey I'll give it a shot (no pun intended). Would purchasing your own units or letting the computer do it be up to the individual gamers or is this part of the skill contest to.

Ted,

Buying units is personal preference. If you want the computer to buy your forces that should be fine. Just make sure that it is made clear in an e-mail before game start.

Lorak

------------------

Ted, in the rules it states that in the first round it is optional. That is why the initiating player sends a e-mail asking his opponent this and what side they prefer. In the second round it is set to automatically. Must make do with what you get. The final round between the last 2 players will be 1 game of each.

Thats right it did say that didn't it. Sorry, don't you just want to say DO A SEARCH!

What about the total emails. Anybody do the math. I'll go get the book and do some cipherin'

Hey, I'm easy. I figure that I am such a bad player I can't possibly complain about what side someone plays smile.gif I agree that most of the battles should be meeting engagements though.

------------------

No matter where you go, there you are.

They will all be meeting engagements *unless* both sides agree to something else beforehand, although it is not recomended.

100 e-mails...damn...does it really take that many. That cant be per side. Seems more like around 50 or so but I have never counted.

I also can't see cheating being a problem, so what if you win? Who wants to be known as 'King of the fools' anyway smile.gif

Meeting engagement sounds like the best set up to me, (Inept, bumbling fool wanders haphazardly into the path of blind drunk, incompetant idiot)

As for which side to play, hell, I can lose equally well no matter who I play as. I mean in a current PBEM, Herr Lorak's surprisingly talented 'green' troops have got more than a few of my 'veteran' SS troops leaving large skid marks in their army issue underwear biggrin.gif

I would pefer to buy my own units as I don't trust the AI sometimes, in a recent heavy fog QB I recieved almost all units as MG's and with only 60m vis I got my worst hammering yet. First time I've had to surrender without the AI doing it for me....

LOL Stuka,

What you fail to realize is that instead of buying "green" troops. I bought cloning tanks. So I can make as many as I want. Humm, lost another squad, make some new ones...

They are like mold, covering you up faster than month old bread...

Lorak

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 08-08-2000).]

I have no problem with the first edition of the rules. I did wonder about type of map (besides small/med). Some I know will prefer villages, etc. I don't know what I prefer since:

1. I don't think I've played more than 20 full games to this point.

2. I have yet to play PBEM.

All the tactics that I have developed have been against the AI. I am looking forward to this tourney. It'll at least give me three games of PBEM experience before Pillar's CM RPG finds me in the think of it.

If anyone would like to start a non-tourney, non-RPG PBEM, I'm up for it as well. So far I've only done hot seat with my 11 year old son. We did a QB, 800 pts, rural, Jan, snow. I selected allow for force selection. It was his first time. He did better than me and he didn't know what he was doing! Of course, he's taking a beating on the field. My ego would truly be bruised had he taken me to task on the field.

In a couple years though...I'm in trouble. The great thing about this game is everything I thought I learned playing other board and computer sim games went out the door. Some things remain the same. Implementation within the framework of CM is much more true to life. Unlearning has begun. Humble defeats await...

Sneaky.

i think its 82 e-mails.

2 setup

4 each turn (2 moves + 2 movies)

i go to uni in october so 1 per day will be a bit slow me thinks

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944