Hall of Fame moments in CM

Guest Babra

Some of the recent postings (and recent experiences) prompt me to post this. What are the most interesting or bizarre things that you have seen happen in CM? I'm not talking about glitches or bugs, just things you never expected to see in a computer game.

In a current PBEM I had a good laugh recently as one of my platoons, after working its way around my enemy's flank, made a mad rush for some buildings -- and on the way ran right by about a platoon of the enemy running the other way at a distance of less than ten metres! Doesn't sound like much, but it was like a scene from a bad movie smile.gif

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

This has happened to me *twice* once as the germans, and once as the allies with good results for me both times:

In moderate smoke, I have had a Tiger *run into* a Hellcat. Not only did the Tiger run into the cat, it started pushing it backwards. When I was the allies, the crew recovered from soiling themselves, and fired a shot right through the front turret armor of the Tiger from a range of 0 meters.

When I was the germans, the Tiger fired when it's barrel was IN the crew compartment of the cat. I think the shell came out the other side. Needless to say, where there was once a cat there was a smoldering pile of goo. (On the next turn another cat killed my tiger from a range of ~20 m)

It is quite a site to see a panicked hellcat being pushed backwards by a tiger (Twice!)

- Bill

Although this kinda constitutes a glitch, it was still funny as hell.

I was playing Riesburg. I decided to be insane and charge two of my Shermans into the middle of town with no infantry support (hey, I was bored)... The Shermans spotted the '88 right next to the road in its default position and fired... next thing I know, the Shermans RAN INTO the 88, firing at point blank.

Then the 88 turned around and TRIED TO RUN AWAY... I don't mean the men, I mean the whole gun turned to !panicked! and turned 180 degrees, instead of whacking two shermans at 10 meters.... finnally a Shell from the second Sherman took out the gun with a pt-blank shot to the rear (all crew dead)...

I was LMAO...it was really funny

-EridanMan

------------------

Your Source for Combat Mission Scenarios and Operations information-

http://patriot.net/~carey/cmso

I just had a cool game where my Mortar teams took out all the halftracks. I was playing last defense, and I usually put mortar fire on each halftrack to destroy or supress the halftracks to make the men abandon it. But as I was playing I targeted each halftrack with my 3 mortar squads. As I was watching, 1 halftrack blew up due to mortar fire so I was very happy with the accuracy of the mortars. Then another one blew and I was real happy. But what really stunned me was that a 3rd halftrack blew in the same turn. I was amazed at the mortars accuracy. The 4th halftrack was on the far side and was later hit by mortar fire the next turn. But that was the first time where all the halftracks were taken out by my mortar fire.

[This message has been edited by WWIIRulz (edited 02-03-2000).]

I have a dancing tank problem that I have seen twice, one as the Americans and once as the Germans (both witnessed by the way by Berli, so maybe it has something to do with him).

I have had tanks, when encountering an enemy that I knew was up in front, as they are moving into position start to panic for some reason I haven't been able to understand. They start to pirouette around in a circle in one position rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

Psychosis, or extreme bravery in drawing fire awy from their comrades?

Edited by Goanna at the request of the pedants.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

[This message has been edited by Goanna (edited 02-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goanna:

I have a dancing tank problem that I have seen twice, one as the Americans and once as the Germans (both witnessed by the way by Berli, so maybe it has something to do with him).

I have had tanks when encountering an enemy that I knew was up in front as they are moving into position start to panic for some reason I haven't been able to understand and start to pirouette around in a circle in one position rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

Psychosis, or extreme bravery in drawing fire awy from their comrades?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey twinkle toes, you might be onto something. My hall of shame occurred against Berl too. No, it's not everytime that I lose to them, though I am running out of fingers and toes to count all my losses.

Mine is the infamous schreck team ambush, as I like to call it. Point blank range, or there abouts, with three straight shots at a the side of a sherman (yes the wide part). Three straight misses and a dead schreck team was the result. (Shut up, no comments from the Penis gallery.....do search for military penis)

Now we must praise the ever great Berl, who will make Sainthood soon. He's going to start making us kiss his ring.

[This message has been edited by bauhaus (edited 02-03-2000).]

Dancing tanks? LMAO.......I'm sure there are a lot of us in here that are use to one *other* game. where that is the standard. I was hoping to see it in the new fantasia movie instead of elephants.

Lorak

P.S. and we all know what the other game is, even if most don't admit to playing it smile.gif

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

http:/clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Saint Berli? Let's hope not ... even though it does have a certain panache about it.

Best he can hope for is cool.gif status ... like Fionn and Madmatt.

Jeez, ya think he's gonna make us pay for this thread? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 02-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 02-03-2000).]

My weirdest moment

I was playing last defense as the Germans, an I had my tiger parked on the left side of the first house with flag on it (the one near the cornfields). There was a bazooka team in the house, and the hellcats just appeared...

A massive tank exhange followed...one shell bounced up from the tiger about 50 m vertically and landed on the house to the right! This then proceeded to happen 4 times in the next 20 seconds! The same trajectory too! And the bazooka team in the house even suffered a casualty and got pinned! The bazooka later routed, after my Tiger finally got killed! biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Moriarty:

Jeez, ya think he's gonna make us pay for this thread? biggrin.gif

Think about it, don't we already pay on a daily basis? biggrin.gif

Hmm, Saint Berli. We now have to come up with a holiday.

Jingle berls jingle berls, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to be killed by a berli everyday. Hey!

Instead of presents, we could exchange gun fire. We could get the NRA to sponsor it. I think I'm on to something. wink.gif Any suggestions?

As the controller of the other team of runners, bypassing Babra's squads: it was REALLY weird. I yelled "Stop! Stop ihr verdammten Idioten, jetzt schiesst sie doch nieder!!" (Stop! Stop you damned idiots and gun them down!) at my monitor, but to no avail. Now the roles are reversed and not for the better...

[This message has been edited by Lindan (edited 02-03-2000).]

The weirdest moment in CM that I have experienced was when I was playing LD as Allies. I had a bazooka team hidden in the house on my right flank. A StuG fired a HE round into the house so I though he would just keep firing until the 'zooks was dead. But instead the StuG turned around 180 degrees and reversed toward my bazooka!!! At a distance of about 6 meters the zook killed the StuG took out its whole crew too. First time I'd ever brewed up anything with a zook. Pretty cool though.

Actually I have a movie of this but I didn't put it on my webpage because of its size.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Curious what a little punctuation can to for readability...

Original Text:

I have had tanks when encountering an enemy that I knew was up in front as they are moving into position start to panic for some reason I haven't been able to understand and start to pirouette around in a circle in one position rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

Rev 1.0:

I have had tanks.

when encountering an enemy that I knew was up in front.

as they are moving into position, start to panic!!!

for some reason, I haven't been able to understand, and start to pirouette around in a circle, in one position, rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

Rev 2.0:

I have had tanks when encountering an enemy.

that, I knew, was up in front as they are moving into position.

start to panic, for some reason.

I haven't been able to understand, and start to pirouette around in a circle.

in one position, rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

Rev 3.0:

I have had tanks start to panic for some reason I haven't been able to understand. Usually when encountering an enemy that I knew was up in front, or as they are moving into position. Sometimes they start to pirouette around in a circle at the same location rather than attack or flee (which would typically mean just reversing away).

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 02-03-2000).]