Down but still Proud and I will make them PAY!!! Update on CMHQ/ANNEX/CHAT/CANADIANHQ

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Late last night after 104 was released my server and home account were hacked by someone that seemed to want to try and shut my server down permanently.

I have made many enemies it seems in my beleifs and personal involvment in shutting warez sites down that hosted Combat Mission. I knew this would happen and prepared for as best I could, alas apparently not well enough though.

They were partiually successful. As it stands my Server is currently Offline which means no Chat System, No Annex, and no Canadian HQ for the time being. CMHQ will not be updated until once I have my server back up and secure.

THIS is why I hate pirates and I swear to god I make those little bastards PAY for what they tried to do.

This hurt, I am not going to lie and say it didn't but I ain't down for the count and I have plenty of tricks in store...

Madmatt signing off for now....It's going to be a long weekend

But I will return....

Situation grave, they are surronding us...We are counterattacking....

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Its a funny I own a couple of pirated games (not CM I must point out!) and when I have thought about it you come to think of the pirates as the common man fighting the evil corperations.

And yet they bootleg CM when BTS are far closer to the littleman fighting the corps and then try to do this to Madmatt.

Hearing about this has made me open my eyes.

Gentleman,

SOME of what is done is done with good intentions, e.g. the fight to ensure free spread of opinions etc BUT game pirates are just criminals by another name.

So, seeing as Matt's a friend I figure that the best thing for anyone who wants to help him AND has some abilities in this sphere would be for them to email him.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to trace the little POS that did this but I know some of you out there do. Hell, this little hacker POS tried to take down CMHQ entirely with the consequent loss of data etc from the community... I think the community owes it to CMHQ (and itself) to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Best way of ensuring that is to get the necessary talent together and do something pro-active.

Guest Madmatt

CMHQ is fine and is hosted by The Gamers Net.

Its the Annex, Chat System and my own Mail subsystem that was affected since they were running off my own private server that I finaced myself.

They also tried to toast my main workstation that I attach to the net with and THAT'S why CMHQ wont be updated for a while.

I am in the process of restoring my data and thankfully I dont think much was lost, Mods and submissions are archived daily so the only loss is a great deal of my time.

The situation on the Server is much more dire though...

This WILL adversely affect the CMMC project since all internal communications were running through my own mail server which is now down.

This also is keeping Jason's Canadian HQ site offline as it was hosted on my home server.

Right now I am focusing on repairing my workstation first and then addressing the server. My main worry is that I may have lost a great deal of my secure information (mailist members, FTP accounts, permissions) etc... which I rely on to run my websites and administer my server.

I am really worried about my chat system since it cost several hundred dollars and was a real bitch to get setup.

I will try and keep everyone posted.

Let me emphasise something, this wasn't some boot sector virus. This was a deliberate attack on my server with the intent of shutting me down. They left traces though, they always do, and they will pay.

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-19-2000).]

This seriously sucks... I was online in the chat when the sky fell in.... after a week and a half of work and a day of repairing my own system I was looking forward to a evening of Battle-Rama!

We had an emergency plan on my Arty gun for overruns... If they start pouring in, drop to the ground and blast everything that is standing.

Looks like the Hackers have broken through the front.... I say, "Load the bee-hives and let them have it MadMatt!" See ya on the otherside..........

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Dammit man....the little pricks. If you find any of them with San Diego addresses please relay them to me. You should all be ready to pay a visit if Matt calls on you.

THE CM BROWNSHIRTS STAND READY. mad.gif

Matt, looking for volunteers/assistance?

Mace (who'll now have to do something constructive with his Sunday morning)

btw,Matt, about the classis Hamster.jpeg: Is it true that the Germans are still hosing out the exhibitions? wink.gif

Gentleman said-

"...I own a couple of pirated games..."

Not sure how you intended this, but, technically if you didn't purchase a piece of software, you don't own a license to use it.

A Prosecuting Attourney would probably say,

"(The Defendant)...possessed a couple of pirated games..."

I feel certain that I am just misinterpreting your statement.

Quack!

[This message has been edited by Sitting Duck (edited 08-19-2000).]

Why would anyone post CM on a warez site? I suppose it's the general ethic of the pirate types but... You do hear some of them claim they're only fighting the big software companies and their over-priced games. Whether there is any truth to this argument, you would think a small developer like BTS would be exempt. Not to mention one that supports its users.

My .02 cents.

And in the case of BTS fighting pirates helps all of us. This is after all the great experiment to see if realistic niche market wargames are profitable.

My .03 cents.

Calvin